Montreal and Quebec City

Search

Montreal and Quebec City

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2018, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Montreal and Quebec City

This is our first time to Canada...we are flying into Montreal and have 4nts/5 days and would like to visit Quebec city also. recommendation on how much time should we spend in each place?
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 07:27 PM

While I can appreciate the impulse to go to Quebec City, I think someone visiting Canada for the first time, and for just five days, would do best to just stay in Montreal.

QC is a fine place, and I even like driving along the river between QC and Montreal, but even 2 days spent in QC leaves you with 2 less for Montreal.

Either a longer “1st trip to Canada” OR a 2nd or 4th trip there is most sensible for QC.
Old Apr 12th, 2018, 07:15 AM

The trip from Montreal to Quebec will cost you at least a half-day in time each way, between the actual travel, finding and departing hotels, packing and unpacking, all stressful. Montreal has more than enough enjoyment for your short vacation.
Old Apr 15th, 2018, 09:55 AM

If this is going to be your only trip to this area, i would try and do an overnight in Quebec City. Granted you could easily spend the whole time in Montreal, but QC is totally unique in this side of the Atlantic. Since QC is much smaller than Montreal, one night would suffice with your constraints. If you are driving, it's an easy (and somewhat boring) 3 hour drive between cities.
Old Apr 15th, 2018, 10:00 PM

I will admit that QC IS very unique... esp. Old Quebec

And the so-called "boring drive" isn't as boring if you get off of the main highway and instead travel the slow road that goes through all of the riverside towns on the north side of the St. Lawrence. It is impressive what beautiful churches so many of them have.

It would be more sensible to somehow add 2 days to your trip, and spend 2 days in QC than it would to make a round-trip there during 5 days in the province.

Montreal just has so much, that you should indulge yourselves without having to cut it short.
Old May 27th, 2018, 06:15 PM

When will you be visiting. That makes a difference in my opinion. Montreal has so much to offer in the summer months and you might rather just stay in Montreal for festivals. Although Quebec City is very pretty as well. Two days in Quebec City is long enough if you are pressed for time. It all depends what your interests are and what time of year you visit
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 10:22 PM

I'm coming from New Zealand and have the same dilema. October this year. Second visit to Canada. Have been recommended 3 nights Kingston which I have booked. Have 6 nights to share between Montreal, Quebec and maybe Ottawa? Need to be back in NOTL 6 days later. totally confused whethere to do train with 2 niths Montreal, then on to Quebec for 2 nights then train back via Ottawa to Niagara. Or maybe hire car and do roady through Algonquin instead......... just so much to see in such a short time. Head close to exploding
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 05:54 AM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
Well that is a good one. We live in Ottawa but I am from Montreal though I spend a lot of time in Quebec City. We camp in Algonquin.

Obviously a personal opinion but I read these questions and always think “if you have a chance to go to Quebec City then go, even for a night.”

You may be here in leaves turning red season depending on when in October you are coming. That would make Algonquin beautiful, but I’d be tempted to focus on Montreal and Quebec City with perhaps a drive a little north to see the leaves. If you are here in very late October you may see a bit of snow.

Kingston is a great little city but I don’t think I have ever heard of anyone spending three nights there.
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 12:30 PM

Yes, Kingston, sounds like unpopular choice. Montreal and Quebec city is just so pretty in the fall. A night in Mont Tremblant or St. Sauveur is a great choice in the fall as well.
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 12:20 AM

Thanks so much for that feedback. The time contrainsts of "so much to see and so little time" are doing my head in, yet I don't want to exhaust myself dashing from place to place- it is a holiday after all So 3 nights is too much in Kingston? Maybe I'll knock it back to 2 and allow myself an extra day to cover Montreal/ Quebec. Do you think a road trip Ottawa/ Huntsville/ Niagara on the lake over 2 nights/ 3 days is good? Google maps has drive time 8 1/2 hours so easy done straight through but I'm wondering a couple of nights at randome places along the way October autumn colours etc. might be pretty special.
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 01:24 AM

Hello Junekiwi - do you have your dates yet? There could be quite a difference between early and late October in terms of leaves/weather. Also the section of the Huntsville-Niagara on the Lake drive that goes around Toronto can hit pretty heavy traffic.

Thousands of people head to the Huntsville area every weekend. It is very pretty, though I am not sure it is New Zealand pretty. It would give you a good contrast between what we call “cottage cottage” and its evil cousin - driving around Toronto.

Ottawa is a very attractive city. And nothing against Kingston but I would cut that visit to two nights.
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 08:15 AM

I would say one night. Ottawa can be done in one night two days. I often go for a little two day get away, but I have my fill after that.
Old Jun 29th, 2018, 07:49 PM

I agree. So much to do and see in Montreal. If you are there for a short period of time, maybe take the hop on hop off for two days and this way you are sure to visit the key spots. Then do your research and see what you would like to visit. One night in Quebec city is enough to get the feel of it and visit major sights, if you have to split between the two cities. Both Montreal and Quebec are beautiful. I don't know how you plan on getting from one place to the other. Maybe leave very early in the morning(like 5 a.m.) so that you have most of the day to visit.
Old Jun 29th, 2018, 11:34 PM

Thanks so much. Great feedback people. I have knocked Kingston back to two nights, then two nights Montreal, two nights Quebec (I think) 😀. Viarail. I arrive Toronto from Auckland late on 2nd so as I've spent time in Toronto before I'm heading straight to Kingston on 3rd. So basically early/mid October. Thinking I'll hire car in Ottawa and then allow a couple of nights thru Algongquin to NOTL arriving there 12th.
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 01:24 AM

That should work. You have avoided driving from Algonquin to NOTL on Monday the 8th which is the Thanksgiving Day long weekend. You might want to find accommodations for the 6-8 soon. Have fun.
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 08:03 AM

Someone above mentioned a slower road from Montreal to Quebec City. Do the buses go on that road also? If so, what is it called.
Old Aug 1st, 2018, 08:09 AM

I think the buses all go on the more direct highway route. The more scenic road mentioned was probably the Chemin du Roy on the northern shore of the St. Lawrence. I think it would be very hard to see without a car.
Old Jul 2nd, 2023, 12:45 PM

Very expensive

I came to Montréal yesterday for a conference. I live in Manhattan and am very surprised by the prices. Everything is so expensive.
Old Jul 2nd, 2023, 01:20 PM

I worked in Montreal and Quebec City throughout the '70s, and Mrs Z is from Montreal (born in Kingston). She and I visited Montreal for the first time in 42 years last fall.
Our opinion (hers and mine): Montreal all the way. Plenty to do with your time frame. I'd skip Kingston but am guessing that maybe you have an interest in the historical fort there.
NOTL only if you must: its a horribly twee, grossly-overpriced place whose appeal is mostly for theatre-goers. A billionaire bro-sis couple from Hong Kong have owned the majority of the tourism infrastructure there for years.
Perhaps I'm being too harsh, but Montreal is in a different league.

Hope it goes well.
I am done. the QC
Old Jul 6th, 2023, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by zebec

Hope it goes well.

Hunh ???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -