5-6 days in Utah middle of May 2018

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2018, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just booked 6 nights for our Utah trip in the middle of May. First, Desert Pearl Inn 3 nights, Duck Creek Village Inn 1 night, Bowen Motel 2 nights. Our flight arrives SLC Wednesday afternoon 3:45PM, departs SLC following Tuesday night 10:15pm. A rental car Ford Fusion Hybrid from Fox Car Rental.

We are in our 70+-, in good health, can hike some but not like the real experienced hikers. First time visiting Zion, Bryce, Arches, we would appreciate any suggestions for what must see and where to go, to eat, even what route(s) to take, etc during this short visit. We do have Iphones with Waze GPS app. I am reading some trip reports on this site and have a few notes here and there. Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 12:32 PM

The mods have decreed from on high that travel threads cannot be here so just FYI they will move it to the US forum, just FYI
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 03:34 PM

Our experience on a trip similar to yours. We stayed at the Bowen in Moab as you plan to do:

​​​​​​Going south to Arches and Canyonlands, we stayed 3 nights at a motel called Bowens in Moab, another town that seems to exist primarily for the parks. Bowens is basic, but decent and has a pool. The motel has large clean rooms with comfortable beds. It is nothing very special, but a decent place to stay with a helpful and friendly staff. Breakfast is not included but there are two very nice breakfast places just down the street. The only negative about the hotel is the creaky floors - consider that atmosphere. Moab is convenient to both Arches and Canyonlands.

And this is what we did an where we ate:

​​​​​​
I am going to write about this segment out of order so to maintain continuity in organizing photos and will begin with day number two where we had booked a 3 hour jet boat ride down the Colorado River through the red rock canyons. We chose Canyonlands by Day and Night as our tour purveyor because they were right on the river, thus the 3 hours is a true 3 hours on the river with no time wasted driving from a tour purveyor to a dock. We chose the jet boat also because of time constraints - another choice could have been a rafting trip but those are considerably longer. I also chose the early morning tour so that I could take advantage of what would be left of the morning light. This tour turned out to be ideal for us and the other passengers. There were 12 others in a boat that could hold twice as many and all appeared to be escapees from geezerville, so we fit in just fine.

This part of the TR will be just about the ride down the Colorado. Simply stated, the canyon walls seen from the river were gorgeous in the morning sun. In my photos you will see that the colors are mostly a deep red. That is not because of post processing, but just the sun on red rock. In fact the vast majority of the post processing was simply straightening the pics to compensate for the rocking of the boat that made many to be somewhat angled,

These photos really speak for themselves about our experience on the river, and any narrative would be superfluous. Just know that the trip goes down the river for about 24 miles beginning in Moab and ending at the entrance of Canyonlands, NP. On the way one sees part of Dead Horse Point State Park. Our guide did a nice narration with appropriate stories. One in particular that was interesting was when he pointed out a cliff that is part of DHSP. This is the place where the final scene in the movie Thelma and Louise was shot - the cliff where they drive their car into the canyon below. The movie has this as the Grand Canyon in Arizona, but it is not, It is DHSP in Utah.

Enough prattling on with the TR and lets get on with the photos. I believe they speak for themselves proving the old adage that one picture is worth 1000 words. A couple of photos to watch out for are two that I took of a nesting Blue Heron (I think that is what it was) and 2 at the end of a young lady climbing a sheer cliff - impressive. Also look for a few pics of a formation locally called "the jug handle" - it is self evident. A few of the pics show a cliff and a sign that says "Indian Writing." If you can find it, you have better eyes than I do.

http://basingstoke2.smugmug.com/On-the-Colorado-Moab/

Jun 16th, 2015, 07:11 PM

Jun 17th, 2015, 04:06 AM
emalloy

More soon, please!

Jun 17th, 2015, 11:45 AM
basingstoke2
Original Poster

TD, yes it does seem like a man made weed invading the canyon wall. I particularly like these photos because I had to take them from a moving boat that was not only moving forward but also not steady on other planes. I discarded more than I posted. The other challenge was to try to capture interest in an expanse of red rock. To this end I used different angles, focal lengths and the changing light as the boat moved. Since it was a forth and back trip, I was able see the same formations from two directions and light conditions. It was fun.

Jun 17th, 2015, 11:46 AM
TDudette

Were there any houses along the route? Forgot to ask.

Jun 17th, 2015, 08:39 PM
basingstoke2
Original Poster

There was one, maybe two. More like cabins. One has a cool story. One of the cabins belongs to an older fellow who sold a lot of his land and is building a hotel IN the cliffs. That is right, not on them or near them, but in them. Sort of a hotel of caves, or so we were told by the guide. Supposedly it will be an upscale place when done.

Jun 18th, 2015, 06:13 PM
basingstoke2
Original Poster

Posts: 14,411This has been a long report when the other thread is counted so thanks to those who have had the fortitude to stick with it.

This section will be about Dead Horse Point State Park and Canyonlands NP.
We returned to our motel in Moab after the boat ride on the Colorado to freshen up and have a quick picnic lunch by the pool before heading out to these two parks. Canyonlands is 34 miles from Moab, and DHP is passed on the way. For that matter, Arches is passed on the way as well. The drive is scenic as are most drives in that area - it is hard to go wrong for scenery driving near there.

One thing that struck us when we saw all five NPs was that each was very different from the next. Even Yellowstone and Grand Tetons which are so close are quite different from eachother. DHP and Canyonlands (speaking only of the Island in the Sky section of Canyonlands) are an exception to that in that they are very much alike and that makes sense. They are only a few miles apart and both feature the area's canyons and basically are each an extension of the next. You can see that in the photos. DHP is the smaller of the two and to its advantage has a number of shaded picnic areas, so if you plan to visit both with a picnic on the way, start with DHP. The advantage of the Island in the Sky part of Canyonlands is its size. Since it is so much larger, it has more trails of varied difficulty and more views. The views from both, but especially Canyonlands are spectacular. We had originally planned to go to the Needles area of Canyonlands, but because of the nearly 3 hour drive RT we thought are would be better spent with more time in Arches.

In viewing the photos you will see a very blue body of water of rectangular shape with faint white parallel lines. Those are salt ponds. At the very end of the photos you will see 2 photos candidly shot of Mi Chica using her trekking poles on a steep and rocky trail. She agreed that they were good to have.
Note to those who have not read my early threads of years past. I call DW Mi Chica because she is a native of Havana - and because I like it.

Because of our late start, we had the advantage of late afternoon sun - the golden hour. The photos begin with about a half dozen of Dead Horse Point then segue into Canyonlands' Island in the Sky. I changed the thumbnails to make them easier to view, but I still recommend clicking slideshow for the best views.

http://basingstoke2.smugmug.com/Cany...nd-Dead-Horse/

Jun 18th, 2015, 06:41 PM
basingstoke2
Original Poster

In reviewing the photos, I think the DHP photos some how became interspersed with those of Canyonland. No problem though because they are pretty much the same.

Also, the 23rd photo shows a large flaw, the remnant of an earthquake.

In addition, I tried using my camera's panoramic feature and think it worked pretty well.

Jun 19th, 2015, 06:08 AM

This part of the TR will be about the Arches NP part of our trip and will be more of practical tips than our impressions and adventures - it is all amazing. Arches is just a few minutes outside of Moab, so if you like, depending on where in Arches you find yourself, it could be practical to return to your lodging in Moab to freshen up or to have lunch. There are no places within the park to buy food, water, or gas so be sure you have an adequate supply of these things when entering the park. Don't stint on the water - bring plenty and drink it. It is too easy to become dehydrated there. There are adequate toilet facilities scattered around the park of varying degrees of cleanliness. Some were good, others not so much. There will be one or more at most major parking areas.

By all means stop at the visitor's center just past the entrance and see the short film explaining how the formations came to be. It will be sure to enhance your tour.

Arches is one of those places where the word Wow! is not misplaced. You will use it often. Trails vary from easy enough for a three year old to fairly rugged depending on your own condition. Trails designated as difficult back at the visitor's center are usually so because of length although even moderate trails may have some sections that can pose a challenge because of slope and/or uneven footing. As always, I am a fan of trekking poles.

The roads are easy, with good pavement and well marked. You will not get lost driving. One can easily see the park's highlights without walking far from your car, or even without leaving your car.

Our visit to the park was on the afternoon we arrived in Moab and the last full day we were there.

For photography fans - to take advantage of the lighting and colors, a circular polarizing filter is recommended, or at least a UV filter if your camera can take them. If not, be sure to keep your lens protected when not in use because there is a lot of fine dust - chances are you will not see it - that can cloud your photos or even damage your lens. The fellow in Moab's camera store says he sees ruined lenses where those precautions were not followed every season. There was a fellow buying a replacement lens for his Canon DSLR while I was in the store. He was not happy.

We left the visitor's center, got on the road and had our first Wow! moment when the giant fins came into sight. That would be the first of the posted photos. From there the sights come quickly - you will not go very far without coming to a turnout for a site, most of which can be seen from the road. Where a site requires a walk and you are up to it, please take it to enhance your experience - many are not difficult at all.

Of course, any visitor to Arches knows about Balanced
Rock and especially Delicate Arch. You will know when you get to Balanced Rock since it right alongside the road. There is path that goes around the rock - walk it since Balanced Rock looks very different from various perspectives - my photos show these differences and from some, it is absolutely phallic. Delicate arch requires a short drive from the main road. From there you have 2 choices - there is a parking area at the trailhead where you can walk (much uphill) to the arch, or further on, there is a parking area with a viewing point which is a fair distance from the arch itself, but you can still get a good view. We wimped out and just went to the viewing point trusting in our binoculars to make up some of the difference. The sun was high, the trail has no shade, so we opted out, geezers that we are.

Some trails that we did take and enjoyed were Double Arch, Sand Dune Arch, and Landscape Arch. We also found the Windows area to be especially interesting - that is where you will see most arches in one place - and Panorama Point lives up to its name. We also walked a few other trails, but frankly, I do not recall their names. You may see some photos of them, so if you know which one, please remind me.

If possible stay or come back for the sunset and stay until well after dark to see the stars. Do not be concerned, driving will be no problem. On advice from a ranger, we came back to Panorama Point with the intention of taking wonderful star filled sky photos from a sky that would be darker than back home in suburbia. The sun set about 8:30 PM and it became a very quiet and some may say romantic setting. I believe there were several couple up at the point who had returned for the latter effect.

We stayed until well after 10, but the moon was too bright for many stars to be visible. So, I took some pics of the moon, my favorite of which brings up the rear of the posted photos.

One more thing that I may have already mentioned- back in Moab our favorite restaurant was The Broken Oar. Good food, good service, good ambiance. Speaking of eating, there is a nice but small picnic area in the park if you like.
Here is the link. All photos except for the sunset and moon were taken using a CP filter.

The colors in Arches are incredible, and what is even better, they change with the lighting conditions. I would take photos of some of the sites and then come back late in the day when the sun is in its "golden hours" and take them again. The late afternoon sun brings out the reds in the red rocks so it is a really good idea to be sure to be in Arches late in the day for an outstanding experience. Most of the photos that I posted were taken then. Some, where the subject is the same, were taken at 2 different times of day, so you can see the contrast.

http://basingstoke2.smugmug.com/Arches-National-Park/

Jun 23rd, 2015, 03:15 PM
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by basingstoke2
Our experience on a trip similar to yours. We stayed at the Bowen in Moab as you plan to do:

​​​​​​Going south to Arches and Canyonlands, we stayed 3 nights at a motel called Bowens in Moab, another town that seems to exist primarily for the parks. Bowens is basic, but decent and has a pool. The motel has large clean rooms with comfortable beds. It is nothing very special, but a decent place to stay with a helpful and friendly staff. Breakfast is not included but there are two very nice breakfast places just down the street. The only negative about the hotel is the creaky floors - consider that atmosphere. Moab is convenient to both Arches and Canyonlands.

And this is what we did an where we ate:

​​​​​​
I am going to write about this segment out of order so to maintain continuity in organizing photos and will begin with day number two where we had booked a 3 hour jet boat ride down the Colorado River through the red rock canyons. We chose Canyonlands by Day and Night as our tour purveyor because they were right on the river, thus the 3 hours is a true 3 hours on the river with no time wasted driving from a tour purveyor to a dock. We chose the jet boat also because of time constraints - another choice could have been a rafting trip but those are considerably longer. I also chose the early morning tour so that I could take advantage of what would be left of the morning light. This tour turned out to be ideal for us and the other passengers. There were 12 others in a boat that could hold twice as many and all appeared to be escapees from geezerville, so we fit in just fine.

This part of the TR will be just about the ride down the Colorado. Simply stated, the canyon walls seen from the river were gorgeous in the morning sun. In my photos you will see that the colors are mostly a deep red. That is not because of post processing, but just the sun on red rock. In fact the vast majority of the post processing was simply straightening the pics to compensate for the rocking of the boat that made many to be somewhat angled,

These photos really speak for themselves about our experience on the river, and any narrative would be superfluous. Just know that the trip goes down the river for about 24 miles beginning in Moab and ending at the entrance of Canyonlands, NP. On the way one sees part of Dead Horse Point State Park. Our guide did a nice narration with appropriate stories. One in particular that was interesting was when he pointed out a cliff that is part of DHSP. This is the place where the final scene in the movie Thelma and Louise was shot - the cliff where they drive their car into the canyon below. The movie has this as the Grand Canyon in Arizona, but it is not, It is DHSP in Utah.

Enough prattling on with the TR and lets get on with the photos. I believe they speak for themselves proving the old adage that one picture is worth 1000 words. A couple of photos to watch out for are two that I took of a nesting Blue Heron (I think that is what it was) and 2 at the end of a young lady climbing a sheer cliff - impressive. Also look for a few pics of a formation locally called "the jug handle" - it is self evident. A few of the pics show a cliff and a sign that says "Indian Writing." If you can find it, you have better eyes than I do.

http://basingstoke2.smugmug.com/On-the-Colorado-Moab/

Jun 16th, 2015, 07:11 PM

Jun 17th, 2015, 04:06 AM
emalloy

More soon, please!

Jun 17th, 2015, 11:45 AM
basingstoke2
Original Poster

TD, yes it does seem like a man made weed invading the canyon wall. I particularly like these photos because I had to take them from a moving boat that was not only moving forward but also not steady on other planes. I discarded more than I posted. The other challenge was to try to capture interest in an expanse of red rock. To this end I used different angles, focal lengths and the changing light as the boat moved. Since it was a forth and back trip, I was able see the same formations from two directions and light conditions. It was fun.

Jun 17th, 2015, 11:46 AM
TDudette

Were there any houses along the route? Forgot to ask.

Jun 17th, 2015, 08:39 PM
basingstoke2
Original Poster

There was one, maybe two. More like cabins. One has a cool story. One of the cabins belongs to an older fellow who sold a lot of his land and is building a hotel IN the cliffs. That is right, not on them or near them, but in them. Sort of a hotel of caves, or so we were told by the guide. Supposedly it will be an upscale place when done.

Jun 18th, 2015, 06:13 PM
basingstoke2
Original Poster

Posts: 14,411This has been a long report when the other thread is counted so thanks to those who have had the fortitude to stick with it.

This section will be about Dead Horse Point State Park and Canyonlands NP.
We returned to our motel in Moab after the boat ride on the Colorado to freshen up and have a quick picnic lunch by the pool before heading out to these two parks. Canyonlands is 34 miles from Moab, and DHP is passed on the way. For that matter, Arches is passed on the way as well. The drive is scenic as are most drives in that area - it is hard to go wrong for scenery driving near there.

One thing that struck us when we saw all five NPs was that each was very different from the next. Even Yellowstone and Grand Tetons which are so close are quite different from eachother. DHP and Canyonlands (speaking only of the Island in the Sky section of Canyonlands) are an exception to that in that they are very much alike and that makes sense. They are only a few miles apart and both feature the area's canyons and basically are each an extension of the next. You can see that in the photos. DHP is the smaller of the two and to its advantage has a number of shaded picnic areas, so if you plan to visit both with a picnic on the way, start with DHP. The advantage of the Island in the Sky part of Canyonlands is its size. Since it is so much larger, it has more trails of varied difficulty and more views. The views from both, but especially Canyonlands are spectacular. We had originally planned to go to the Needles area of Canyonlands, but because of the nearly 3 hour drive RT we thought are would be better spent with more time in Arches.

In viewing the photos you will see a very blue body of water of rectangular shape with faint white parallel lines. Those are salt ponds. At the very end of the photos you will see 2 photos candidly shot of Mi Chica using her trekking poles on a steep and rocky trail. She agreed that they were good to have.
Note to those who have not read my early threads of years past. I call DW Mi Chica because she is a native of Havana - and because I like it.

Because of our late start, we had the advantage of late afternoon sun - the golden hour. The photos begin with about a half dozen of Dead Horse Point then segue into Canyonlands' Island in the Sky. I changed the thumbnails to make them easier to view, but I still recommend clicking slideshow for the best views.

http://basingstoke2.smugmug.com/Cany...nd-Dead-Horse/

Jun 18th, 2015, 06:41 PM
basingstoke2
Original Poster

In reviewing the photos, I think the DHP photos some how became interspersed with those of Canyonland. No problem though because they are pretty much the same.

Also, the 23rd photo shows a large flaw, the remnant of an earthquake.

In addition, I tried using my camera's panoramic feature and think it worked pretty well.

Jun 19th, 2015, 06:08 AM

This part of the TR will be about the Arches NP part of our trip and will be more of practical tips than our impressions and adventures - it is all amazing. Arches is just a few minutes outside of Moab, so if you like, depending on where in Arches you find yourself, it could be practical to return to your lodging in Moab to freshen up or to have lunch. There are no places within the park to buy food, water, or gas so be sure you have an adequate supply of these things when entering the park. Don't stint on the water - bring plenty and drink it. It is too easy to become dehydrated there. There are adequate toilet facilities scattered around the park of varying degrees of cleanliness. Some were good, others not so much. There will be one or more at most major parking areas.

By all means stop at the visitor's center just past the entrance and see the short film explaining how the formations came to be. It will be sure to enhance your tour.

Arches is one of those places where the word Wow! is not misplaced. You will use it often. Trails vary from easy enough for a three year old to fairly rugged depending on your own condition. Trails designated as difficult back at the visitor's center are usually so because of length although even moderate trails may have some sections that can pose a challenge because of slope and/or uneven footing. As always, I am a fan of trekking poles.

The roads are easy, with good pavement and well marked. You will not get lost driving. One can easily see the park's highlights without walking far from your car, or even without leaving your car.

Our visit to the park was on the afternoon we arrived in Moab and the last full day we were there.

For photography fans - to take advantage of the lighting and colors, a circular polarizing filter is recommended, or at least a UV filter if your camera can take them. If not, be sure to keep your lens protected when not in use because there is a lot of fine dust - chances are you will not see it - that can cloud your photos or even damage your lens. The fellow in Moab's camera store says he sees ruined lenses where those precautions were not followed every season. There was a fellow buying a replacement lens for his Canon DSLR while I was in the store. He was not happy.

We left the visitor's center, got on the road and had our first Wow! moment when the giant fins came into sight. That would be the first of the posted photos. From there the sights come quickly - you will not go very far without coming to a turnout for a site, most of which can be seen from the road. Where a site requires a walk and you are up to it, please take it to enhance your experience - many are not difficult at all.

Of course, any visitor to Arches knows about Balanced
Rock and especially Delicate Arch. You will know when you get to Balanced Rock since it right alongside the road. There is path that goes around the rock - walk it since Balanced Rock looks very different from various perspectives - my photos show these differences and from some, it is absolutely phallic. Delicate arch requires a short drive from the main road. From there you have 2 choices - there is a parking area at the trailhead where you can walk (much uphill) to the arch, or further on, there is a parking area with a viewing point which is a fair distance from the arch itself, but you can still get a good view. We wimped out and just went to the viewing point trusting in our binoculars to make up some of the difference. The sun was high, the trail has no shade, so we opted out, geezers that we are.

Some trails that we did take and enjoyed were Double Arch, Sand Dune Arch, and Landscape Arch. We also found the Windows area to be especially interesting - that is where you will see most arches in one place - and Panorama Point lives up to its name. We also walked a few other trails, but frankly, I do not recall their names. You may see some photos of them, so if you know which one, please remind me.

If possible stay or come back for the sunset and stay until well after dark to see the stars. Do not be concerned, driving will be no problem. On advice from a ranger, we came back to Panorama Point with the intention of taking wonderful star filled sky photos from a sky that would be darker than back home in suburbia. The sun set about 8:30 PM and it became a very quiet and some may say romantic setting. I believe there were several couple up at the point who had returned for the latter effect.

We stayed until well after 10, but the moon was too bright for many stars to be visible. So, I took some pics of the moon, my favorite of which brings up the rear of the posted photos.

One more thing that I may have already mentioned- back in Moab our favorite restaurant was The Broken Oar. Good food, good service, good ambiance. Speaking of eating, there is a nice but small picnic area in the park if you like.
Here is the link. All photos except for the sunset and moon were taken using a CP filter.

The colors in Arches are incredible, and what is even better, they change with the lighting conditions. I would take photos of some of the sites and then come back late in the day when the sun is in its "golden hours" and take them again. The late afternoon sun brings out the reds in the red rocks so it is a really good idea to be sure to be in Arches late in the day for an outstanding experience. Most of the photos that I posted were taken then. Some, where the subject is the same, were taken at 2 different times of day, so you can see the contrast.

http://basingstoke2.smugmug.com/Arches-National-Park/

Jun 23rd, 2015, 03:15 PM
Please pardon all of the unrelated material in my above post - it was obviously a cut and paste and that is how it came out.

IMPORTANT - be sure to use some sort of filter over your lens to protect against the blowing, unseen dust. It can destroy your lens.
BTW, we are in our 70's as well.
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 08:53 PM

Well, THAT was not supposed to happen.
Old Apr 8th, 2018, 10:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you basingstoke2 for your trip report. Our trip plan is as follow:

Day 1: Arriving SLC 4PM, drive to Desert Pearl Inn
Day 2: Zion NP, stay Desert Pearl Inn
Day 3: Zion NP, stay Desert Pearl Inn
Day 4: Zion, leave 5PM, drive to Duck Creek Valley Inn for the night
Day 5: early AM drive to Bryce, after sunset drive to Moab/Bowen
Day 6: Arches all day, stay at Bowen
Day 7: Arches till noonish, drive to SLC for 10:15PM flight home

Question;
Do we have enough time for Bryce? Should we consider driving from Zion directly to Bryce without stopping at Duck Creek Valley? I am having trouble finding lodging around Bryce so we thought may be stopping halfway. Is it a good idea or not?
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 07:20 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Do NOT drive from Bryce to Moab after dark. The scenery is great in the daytime and you run the risk of hitting an animal on the roadway when you are tired. Please don't rent from Fox in SLC or Las Vegas. I and many other people have had bad problems with Fox rental cars. The TPMS indicated a tire pressure problem. I went back to the Fox rental and had them check. One of the tires was at 90psi (not kidding).
Depending on the time of day you get there, they will switch you to another type of vehicle. I once got a Jeep ragtop from Fox in Las Vegas after asking for an economy car. I had to put air in all 4 tires so that it was safe to drive on I-15
Goblin Valley State Park is worth stopping to see in daylight.
To visit Arches, we stayed at the Robbers Roost motel in Green River. The available rooms in Moab were out of our price range.
After turning in the rental car at SLC airport, you should have a couple hours to visit Temple Square before heading back to the airport. Traxx works well to get to and from the airport
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 04:11 PM

Ditto--do not drive in that area after dark. That is a long drive from Bryce to Moab. You are missing amazing scenery!! You may also not miss--e.g. hit--the many animals on the road--deer, cows, etc. A friend of mine hit a deer last year in rural Utah-her son broke his ankle hiking and she was driving back to SLC to take him to the hospital. It was bad. And a pain to get the car towed, etc etc. Fortunately, no one was hurt besides the deer. You aren't driving on major highways--these are all rural roads even if they say "highway 12".
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 05:03 PM

Keep trying to find lodging near Bryce. I'm surprised there's nothing right outside the park.

Don't bother staying at Bryce til sunset, it is a non-event. Sunrise is amazing, sunset is not something to stick around for. Just get on the road and go to Moab after spending a morning at Bryce.
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 08:41 PM

If you can do it, spend less time at Zion and more time at Moab.

Definitely, do not drive after dusk.
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 03:53 AM

I agree withe the advice to NOT drive in the area after dark. Hopefully your day 1 will have a smooth enough flight and pick up of the rental car so that you can get to Springdale before dark. Hitting a deer, elk, antelope, cow or horse on the road after dusk, would spoil the whole trip. We have seen all of those animals near and crossing the road on trips to the area and you can't see far enough to react after dark.

I also found that I would want to spend more time in the Moab area than in Zion/Bryce.
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 05:31 AM

If you have the time, take the early morning jet boat boat guided tour given by Canyonlands Day and Night. It is only a few hours and is spectacular giving you a different perspective of the area. One of the things that you will see is the spot where the car went off the cliff in the movie Thelma and Louise. People think the place was the Grand Canyon, but it was shot in Dead Horse Point State Park which is a short hop down the road from Arches. They have picnic areas in the State Park.

I agree about driving at night in general, but you can drive at night within Arches without problems. The roads are good and you will not be alone. This will give you a chance to see the night sky - as mentioned, Panorama point is a good place for that.
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions. Is the following revised plan better?
2 full days in Zion, 5 hours in Bryce, 2+ days in Arhces.

Day 1: Arrive SLC 4PM, drive to Desert Pearl Inn
Day 2: all day Zion NP
Day 3: all day Zion NP
Day 4: 8AM Leave Zion to Bryce(2.5 hrs?). leave Bryce b/4 3PM
Day 5: Arches all day
Day 6: Arches all day
Day 7: Arches AM, after lunch drive to SLC for 10:15PM depart
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Another idea.

Stay in Desert Pearl Inn for only 2 nights(day1and 2), on day 3 leave Zion around 5PM to Duck Creek Village(1.5hrs), spend the night. On day 4 leave Duck Creek Village 8 AM, drive to Bryce(1.5Hrs). This way, we have a little more time in Bryce, and able to leave b/4 3PM to Moa4.5hrs).

We still have 2 full days in Zion(day 2 and 3), 1/2 day+ in Bryce(day 4), 2+ full days(day 5, 6 and half day 7) in Arches. No driving at night.

assuming it's still daylight till 7-7:30 pm after May 17th.

I will need to change our reservation if this is a better plan. Your input is greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 01:25 PM

One of your days in Moab do go to Canyonlands Island in the Sky for at least a half day. It is truly amazing.

Your two plans are equal in my mind, but there are probably more choices for food in Springdale.

Do fill your tank when you see a gas station and keep water and snacks in the car.
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 02:13 PM

I agree with emallou about Canyonlands. You will spend as much time in Moab as we did and we had time for Canyonlands Island in the Sky, Arches, Dead Horse, and the early morning boat ride on the river and never felt rushed.
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 04:56 PM

There are a few hotels outside of Bryce. I always like Ruby's Inn but the other ones are fine as well. I would stay there. You should be able to get rooms--they are large hotels.
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Bryce Lodge in the park and Ruby's Inn were both booked solid, that's why we booked Duck Creek Village Inn. Which is half way between Zion and Bryce. Need your hotel recommendation similar to Ruby's Inn outside of Bryce, please.
Windows, Canyonland Island, Delicate Archs, Dead Horse are on our list, not sure if we will make the early morning boat ride,likely will do the Colorado River Cruise. Thank you.
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 06:42 PM

Which Colorado River cruise is that if I may ask? The only reason that I am suggesting the Canyonlands by Day and Night is that their office and departure point is right on river. That is important because many if not all of the other companies shuttle you down to their boats and that could be up to a 1/2 hour wasted each way on the road sitting in a van.
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 11:11 PM
Original Poster

The Colorado River Cruise is the night cruise I read on a trip report, not sure which company, the morning 3 hours cruise may be too early for us, although we still may consider doing it with your recommendation. Thank you basingstoke2.
After much searching online and callings I finally booked one night at the Best Western Ruby's Inn Bryce Canyon. Now, we are driving directly from Zion to Bryce without stopping at Duck Creek Village.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -