1st May holiday in Italy and Slovenia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2018, 12:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What will typically be closed on 1st May? I can already see that some public transport won't run. I will be around Friuli and Goriska Brda areas (plans yet to be finalised). Museums, galleries, vineyards, restaurants and bars?
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 12:15 AM

I think public transport will be the biggest issue. On the Slovenian side, many restaurants and bars will be open, wineries less so but it's always best to contact the latter in advance anyways. Museums and galleries are often open on Sundays and public holidays but in turn close on Mondays, but this varies from institution to institution. It might be a good idea to focus on natural sights on May 1, those are less likely to be closed or are freely accessible. Note that April 27 and May 2 are public holidays in Slovenia too, as is April 25 in Italy. Slovenes often take the week or a couple of days off work and school, so tourist areas are busier than usual.

Have you considered renting a car? It's a much better proposition for exploring rural areas like the Collio or Goriska Brda, where bus services may not be as frequent.

Last edited by rtt0921; Feb 16th, 2018 at 12:18 AM.
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 12:16 AM

Transport will be on a holiday schedule. Government run museums are likely closed but you should check the actual museum. Basically everything non governmental will be open. You may find things crowded but open. I think it's a Tuesday this year? That will mean a lot of long weekend trips by Italians
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 12:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much. Didn't realise that the 2nd was also a holiday in Slovenia. Do you think that Goriska Brda is likely to be busier than usual?