Provincetown, Nantucket in April questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2018, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering a short trip to the Cape and Nantucket in late April (but the weekend before the Nantucket Daffodil Festival - so around the 19-21st). I'm wondering if that early in the year reservations are needed or if I could just wing it. I won't be looking for anything quaint or fancy, just someplace clean and pretty cheap (under $100 a night) but I'd rather not reserve anything because if the weather is horrible I won't go. Is this possible/advisable for Nantucket? How about the cape itself (Provincetown, Hyannis)? Thanks
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 07:18 AM

For that price point you might be able to find lodging on the Cape, but doubtful on Nantucket. I'd wait until last minute then book the day or two before I was going to leave.
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 02:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I found one place in Hyannis that looks good for my price range and has only a four day cancellation so I might do that and reconsider things at that time. I was assuming at that time of year it would be really easy to get lodging - close enough to high season that places would be open (if they closed for winter) but not yet even close to crowded high season. Given the number of accommodations you'd think there would be all kinds of decent deals but apparently not.
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 06:37 AM

I don't think you'll have any problems finding last minute lodging on the Cape, but it's rarely cheap except in December through March. The real issue is Nantucket, where there may be fewer than 10 rooms on the island for less than $100, and Provincetown, which is really popular on weekends even in the shoulder season. Hyannis seems like a decent alternative, and it will get you close to the ferry to Nantucket for a day-trip.
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 06:49 AM

In my opinion Hyannis is not a desirable place to stay. It is unlike the rest of Cape Cod, being the commercial center. e.g. big box stores, etc. If you can find another alternative for your price range I would take it.
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 01:16 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Check a B&B in Ptown. The first time we went (years ago) was in March, after a conference in Boston. Most everything was closed, but it was still great to be in walking distance to things that were open in Ptown. It was wicked cold that weekend, but still a good trip.

We stayed here on that first trip. I would try to find something in Ptown and book ahead of time.
Rose Acre - Home
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 09:53 AM

I would not stay in Hyannis. Horrible place!
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

I know it's a commercial center with motels, restaurants and malls so not 'quaint'. But what do you mean by 'horrible'?
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 08:32 AM

I wouldn't call Hyanis horrible in April. It is very busy in the summer, lots of traffic, typical tourist shopping, etc. Definitely not as charming or beachy as other locations. We go mostly for the National Seashore, so always stay farther out, Eastham to Provincetown.
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 10:55 AM

There are so many wonderful places to stay on the Cape, that it makes no sense to stay in Hyannis. Part of the Cape Cod experience is staying in one of its quaint towns.
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

As I said in my original post, I'm looking for something inexpensive (under $100) and I don't want to reserve something that can't be cancelled at the last minute (a day or two). This is an 'extra' little getaway so I don't want to spend a lot and if the weather is forecast to be bad I won't go at all. I live less than three hours away, and I actually live in an old colonial home so the 'experience' of staying in an historic inn or B&B isn't something I need. I just want to walk on the beach, eat some great seafood, and photograph the lighthouses, etc. And therefore just need someplace clean and relatively central (would like to visit both P-town and Nantucket).

So I'm either looking for a suggestion of a specific place that might meet that criteria, or for someone to confirm that it would be 'safe' to go at that time of year without reservations and be pretty confident I'd find plenty of vacancies. Thanks
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 04:29 AM

Did you try to search on Trip Advisor for Cape Cod hotels? I just put In your dates and price and came up with a page full of places. You would have to research each one. I never book a place that doesn't allow last minute cancels. That would be part of your research. And BTW I don't stay in B&Bs or the like. I think if you take the time you will be able to find a place in a better location.
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 09:50 PM

If you're still looking, I've stayed at Harbor Hotel in Provincetown. it's under $100 in April if you do advance purchase. I realize that's not what you want, but it's still (barely) under $100 for 24 hour notice cancellation. We stayed there because of the cancellation policy- we weren't sure we wanted another night, and a lot of the available places had ridiculously inflexible policies.

So I will say that it's a motel, kind of on the edge of downtown. Prior to this, we stayed at a historic B&B practically in the center. I mention this for comparison sake. It was a bit of a hassle logistics wise because it meant hiring a taxi for my older relatives. I liked it because it was laid back and I had a bike; B&Bs aren't usually my thing. So it was a nice change for me, although I think the others would have preferred fancier digs. My mother likes motels, and I tend to stay in them while traveling with her; we both would return. But that's not saying much as neither of us are high maintenance. Essentially: Basic, great view, clean, not awful beds.

Last edited by marvelousmouse; Feb 24th, 2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. The Harbor Hotel in Provincetown is the best thing I've found outside of Hyannis (as you said, 24 hour cancellation and $103 - although there is a $25 fee if you cancel, still a decent deal). (And yes, I checked all the booking sites plus personal recommendations.) So now I will consider that. Just a couple days ago I booked a motel in Hyannis for all three nights figuring I'd do day trips to P-Town and Nantucket. That one is only $58 but I think now I'll cancel the first night there and go with the one in Provincetown. So thanks.
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 08:34 AM

sounds like a plan Stan. You can spend the night in P'town, explore the lower cape and check in at Hyannis after a full day, for a sleep. Then take an early fast ferry to Nantucket for a full day of exploring and return to Hyannis for easy lodging. Ignore the naysayers. Hyannis makes sense if you're planning a full day trip to Nantucket and only need a clean place to lay your head.