Looking for cute apartment in Paris for two sisters

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2018, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I are headed to Paris at the end of Feb for four nights. It’s her first time there and my third, but I haven’t been in five years. I’m sure there are tons of threads on apartments, but it’s sort of a last minute trip and I don’t have a ton of time to research. If anyone has some quick and easy recommendations for their favorite apartments, I’d love them! I think ideally one bedroom would be fine, as long as there was a pull out sofa for me to sleep on. Looking to spend about 150 USD per night!

Thanks!
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 07:57 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>I’m sure there are tons of threads on apartments,<<

Lately -- most threads are about the problems with holiday rentals in Paris. The vast majority are illegal. The city is in the process of registering the (very) small % that are legal. Soooo you need to make sure the city's registration # is in the listing. If it is - great. If not, it is illegal.

To make absolutely sure (other than the few w/ reg. #'s ) you'd want to rent at a apart-hotel such as Citadines. There are others - but that sort of property.
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 12:40 PM

Keep topping your thread (like I am doing) as in past many Parisians and Parisian experts have given lots of info on this (and current status janis warns about being legal or not.

a hassle - the Citadines janis mentions sound nice and are guaranteeably modern.

You top your thread by just doing:

Topping
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 02:32 PM

I rented this apartment last year. https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p6601644 It's just a tiny bit above your budget but has lots of room and a comfy spot in the salon for a second person to sleep. Right next to Parc Monceau. Close to metro and bus stops. A short walk to the Arch de Triumph. The 8th isn't a typical area to stay but good transport makes it convenient to things.
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 02:33 PM

By the way, I asked for a got a small price break.
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 02:42 PM

Several months ago I booked an apartment for June through the owner who I had rented from before via VRBO. He sent me an email recently cancelling my stay because he could not meet the requirements being a non-resident and can no longer rent out his apartment. So I had to scramble to find another rental. What I noticed is that several sites are now providing us with the apartment's registration#. I saw this on VRBO, Homeaway and where I booked, Booking.com. I am sure other sites are doing the same and advise that you book a hotel or aparthotel type or an apartment that has a registration#
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 03:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Homeaway is also just a listing site -- they do not verify that apartments are registered. So just be sure to check - or you may run into a cancellation like hpeabody encountered.
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no registration number on that homeaway listing. Since it appears that homeaway is uninterested in whether its listings are legal, seems it would be a good site to avoid.
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 12:08 AM

Online platforms are required to both de-list unregistered apartments as well as those which have reached their 120 day annual rental maximum. One might imagine that these two requirements will remove a staggering amount of rental apartment inventory currently available at Airbnb, Homeaway, Arbritel, and many others.

The city has announced their intention to initiate court action forcing compliance with the law. There is no reason to expect that the city will not prevail but for the time being, online businesses continue as before, illegally listing unregistered apartments and will continue to do so until they are forced to change.

This will take time.
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 01:52 AM

Your visit is only four nights.. just get a hotel room. I know know you want to feel like yourre living like a local.. but you only have such a short visit.. there is more work to finding an apartment.. and you have to make arrangements for your arrival ( you arrive at 9 am on your flight.. what will you do with your luggage till 3 or 4 pm.. same on check out.. hotels will store luggage before and after check in, most apartments will not )

Hotel Diana has an excellent location, as does Hotel College du France, Hotel Eugenie, Hotel Des Grand Hommes , Hotel le Regent.. I think the last two may be over your budget but it is off season so you may get lucky.