Favorite beach location for swimming in summer - w/o high rises

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2018, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts

It doesn't matter which coast. Favorite low key summer destination. Quiet, low key but with enough restaurants around to be convenient.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 02:51 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>It doesn't matter which coast
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
once if your ok twice if you've been body snatched.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 04:11 PM

I read the title as beaches without high tides...which would be kind of hard

I spend a lot of time in Rhode Island, beautiful beaches, not a high rise in sight (plenty of high tide though). The water is warm enough in the summer and usually through September.

Scarborough State Beaches

That website has lists of other state beaches. There are also beaches in Little Compton, Newport and Middletown. No high rises anywhere.

https://www.visitrhodeisland.com/thi...to-do/beaches/
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 04:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Describes Lauderdale-By-The-Sea perfectly for some and Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, for others, especially those who enjoy a very lively and often upscale restaurant scene. And for the OP, the latter might be particularly enjoyable, social-opportunity-wise.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 04:23 PM

South Shore of Kauai - Poipu area. Great weather, and the water is warm. There is just one high-rise on Kauai, grandfathered in, no others are allowed.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 05:36 PM

I agree, west coast is a no go if you want swimming
unless you’re talking about lakes, and in that case, I recommend renting a cabin at klinks’s resort on Williams lake. May be too quiet for you though. No cell phone reception, and only one restaurant- albeit one that has great drinks and steaks. But it can’t be beat in terms of swimming- no motor boats, so you can swim as far out as you like.

I haven’t been to many beaches on the east coast. But one of my best beach vacations was Provincetown Mass. great food options, swimming, biking trails. Mostly quaint development- more b&bs than big hotels. I like to people watch though, and that’s probably why I liked it- so if you’re looking for quiet, probably not the place.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 05:47 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I and more than 30 other geocachers went into the Pacific Ocean on January 1 at 9AM at Sunset Beach Oregon. The air temp and water temp were at 50*. The only building in sight was the restroom/ changing facility.
I did see one woman in a bikini. We didn't spend too much time in the water but I did see a few take a few swimming strokes.
If you are looking for an Atlantic Ocean spot, try one of the Florida Keys before you get to Key West.
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 04:42 AM

Anna Maria Island, Florida. White sand beaches, calm warm blue-green water, no high rises, lots of good restaurants.
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 06:12 AM

Although it is on the West Coast, the beaches in Southern California are beautiful and very swimmable. July through Mid Octber are the warmest. There are a number of swim clubs that swim at various and popular beaches year round. The beach in Coronado was ranked as one of the world best beaches a few years ago.

But for the warmest waters, smaller surf conditions, I would recommend the beaches in Southern Florida along the gulf.

Hawaii has some wonderful reef beaches and seeing the colorful reef fish is a plus.
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 09:06 AM
Slw

Sanibel Island, FL but it will be hot!
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 12:36 PM

Sullivan's Island SC, close to Charleston with its incredible food scene.

if you want very laid back with less restaurants and more nature/history then Edisto Island is 30 minutes south of Charleston. Piles of eerie corners and historic churches , beautiful beaches and marshes.
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 01:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
The southern Jersey shore towns, the Delaware beaches, the OBX, the outer beaches of Cape Cod.
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 04:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Outer Banks or Hilton Head.
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 10:50 AM

I used to live in the Los Angeles area (Santa Monica to be exact) many years and went swimming in the ocean a lot, so did lots of others. Of course you can. Not in the winter, but you can in the summer. And no, not wearing wet suits. But the only areas I know does have lots of high rises there.

The water temp in So Cal isn't much different from Cape Cod, for example, but of course not as warm as Mexico/Caribbean, Florida, etc.
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 12:44 PM

Starrs are you asking for a specific reason? What type of swimming are you interested in? Long distance swims or just body surfing type playing in the waves? Rough water swimming or calm water? Do you want secluded beaches, or are beaches with homes or condos nearby ok as long as not on the beach itself? And do you have a preferred location already in mind?

There are a number of swimmers I know of who have swum from San Pedro (in So Cal) to Catalina Island and say it is a great swim! Not one I will ever experience for sure. Another guy I know swam from several of the Hawaiian Islands over the course of a week for a total of 100 miles. Also something I'll never even contemplate!
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 01:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>And no, not wearing wet suits.
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 02:53 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Cape Cod, with three major bodies of water to choose from for beaches as well as 365 fresh water lakes. .
Rhode Island- beat kept secret
So many places have some high rises but then other areas that are underdeveloped. So don’t discount the NJ or CT shores, for example.
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 02:54 PM

Cape Cod, with three major bodies of water to choose from for beaches as well as 365 fresh water lakes. .
Rhode Island- beat kept secret
So many places have some high rises but then other areas that are underdeveloped. So don’t discount the NJ or CT shores, for example.
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 02:54 PM

Look at National Seashores too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -