Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?

Search

Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2017, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"spend time dodging silent bikes and not so silent trams".
True.

Hotels in central Amsterdam are expensive, but I would still not stay in Harlem....
Bring umbrellas !
Old Dec 10th, 2017, 01:18 PM

6 mights a little long for Amsterdam IMO - especially in March - really try to pair with a few days in Brussels or Bruges or day trip to historic regional towns.
Old Dec 10th, 2017, 01:40 PM

I think with 5 days, they could do 1-2 day trips. They do not have 6 days, they have 5. They do not even have 6 nights. Arrive Sat and leave the following Thursday, which means they are going to the airport on Thursday, not sightseeing.

I went to Delft and Alkmaar from Amsterdam and both were great. I agree that some place in Belgium could be considered, also. The Alkmaar cheese market is great but I don't think it will be operating in early March. https://www.kaasmarkt.nl/en/
Old Dec 10th, 2017, 01:53 PM

Amtwerp would be a Belgian city only about 1.5 hours from Amsterdam and a very very neat historic city - better than Brussels for just a day as is easier to get a fix on. And again you do experience a high-speed train. Geramny is also but a few hours -day trip to Cologne perhaps for famous cathedral and a taste of Germany -www.bahn.de/en has advance fares for as low as 19-29 euros each way
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 12:09 AM

Rome! The history, the pizza! the gelato! spent a few days in Rome and Naples with my 12 and 14 year old. They loved the history as they new it all from books, movies and school. I'd say Barcelona was a good spend and trip but you want to wait that one out. Its a great place to go if your son is into Soccer
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 06:44 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Regarding accommodations, I'd strongly urge you to look at Airbnb or VRBO options, even if they cost more than your (not-very-well-located) hotel.

By having a place with cooking facilities, not only can you save money by fixing your own breakfasts or snacks (or carry-out dinners) you'll also be able to live a bit like locals - going to the shops, the street markets...

Plus you might be able to locate MUCH closer to the action. Take this place for example: https://www.vrbo.com/476656 . It's in the Jordaan district (which would be my choice for locations) and while it's $153 per night, that's the same as $100 plus three €17 breakfasts, never mind not having to shell out for tram or bus fares a few times per day per person. And if it's a typical A'dam house, you'll also get a free cardio session on the stairs.

Just sayin'.
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 06:55 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Regarding accommodations, I'd strongly urge you to look at Airbnb or VRBO options, even if they cost more than your (not-very-well-located) hotel.<<

Unfortunately -- Amsterdam is cracking down on short term rentals (similar to the situation in Paris). So one 'might' be better off booking a budget hotel or hostel (but just in a better location)
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 12:46 PM

There are plenty of B&Bs in Amsterdam in outer preceints - some in centrum but those are really luxury flats treading on name B&B - I've stayed in some near Amstel Station - on main train and metro line.

Janis makes good point about airbnb -recent discussions here have city authorities cracking down so hard to tell current situation.
Old Dec 15th, 2017, 10:36 AM

Rome and Turin make an interesting pair - but would take most of a day to go between them. Rome and Florence or Naples make more sense.
Old Dec 15th, 2017, 11:43 AM

Copenhagen.

I've been going there regularly since the early 70s and have spent many, whole summers there and have also been there during the spring and once during the winter.

Copenhagen is a really nice city and a very manageable city. You could also easily take a day trip, by train, up to Helsingor (1 hour) to see Kronberg, the castle of Shakespeare's Hamlet and then take the ferry across to Halsingborg ( 20 minutes), on the Swedish side and visit Halsinborg. You could do all of this and be back in Copenhagen for dinner. I used to do it regularly and especially when friends came to visit and I'd also take them on that route as one goes along the coast. I'd take them to Helsingor for the castle, lunch, and shopping and then we'd take the ferry over to Sweden for the view from a tower and more looking around and then cross back over to Helsingor, for some Danish food snacks, and then catch the train and head back to Copenhagen.

Happy Travels!
Old Dec 15th, 2017, 11:54 AM

I forgot to mention that I've been to all of the cities on your list except for Reykjavik, Madrid, Berlin, and Turin. But, I've spent a lot of time in Italy, Germany, and have been to Spain once, but to Seville (summer 2017), which was amazing. I plan to do more trips to Spain.

My above recommendation, of Copenhagen, would work well with the amount of time you have and also with it being your first trip to Europe as Copenhagen is a really relaxed city, plus English is widely spoken.

As for Reykjavik, my best friend has been at least twice and I have other friends who have been going since the 70s and all have really like it and I think that that would also be a really good choice, from what I have been told. My best friend was last there around 6 years ago.

Happy Travels!
Old Dec 15th, 2017, 12:01 PM

Reykyavik used to be terribly expensive - is it still?
Old Dec 15th, 2017, 12:11 PM

"PalenQ on Dec 15, 17 at 1:01pm
Reykyavik used to be terribly expensive - is it still?"

I don't know as I haven't been. But, my best friend, who has been twice, didn't mention anything about it being ridiculously expensive. But, I guess that's all relative to one's budget. I figure that if the OP has it as a possibility on his list, then he is aware of whatever the cost may be.

Happy Travels!
Old Dec 15th, 2017, 01:30 PM

Reykjavik is one of those places that is slightly expensive no matter, but can be really expensive depending on what you want to do. I’m thinking the OP hasn’t really looked into it, so here goes-

Food is expensive in comparison to where I’ve been in Europe. But it’s along lines of a major city in US. Transit from the airport is super expensive if you’re used to taking transit. Then again, many people don’t do that even if it’s available. Lodging is expensive compared to places I’ve been in Europe, but more or less what I’d expect to pay in Seattle, SF, or NYC.

The biggest budget breaker: A lot of people want to do outings; day trips. I mean, that’s why you go to Reykjavik usually. It’s an outdoorsy place, not a cultural place. And it adds up fast. If I’d done everthing I wanted, I would have spent $500 in 5 days on just entertainment. In Rome, my entertainment budget might be $100 for 5 days. So the OP could rent a car to see the sights, and that wouldn’t be super expensive, but to do stuff like snowmobiling and blue lagoon, he’d be shelling out for 3 people. And the OP might be aware of this, but might not have really researched it. The cost snuck up on me. You don’t really realize how expensive it is until you add it up.

The equivalent to me is planning a trip to a us national park. Sounds like a cheap trip to start with. But even budget hotels in some places can run you hundreds of dollars, gas isn’t free, park concessioners know that people will pay a crazy amount of money for convenience when it comes to sunscreen or ice and then one friend adds on white water rafting, the other friend wants to go to a concert.
Old Dec 15th, 2017, 01:35 PM

Well Iceland sounds reasonably expensive rather than unbelievably expensive years ago when I stopped there for a break on Icelandair - only fried fish sold by the harbor was cheap.

I assume alcohol is very expensive like any Scandinavian country so if inclined to imbibe hit duty free or bring your own.
Old Dec 15th, 2017, 02:30 PM

One drinks a lot of beer in Denmark as beer is not expensive. For many years of summers, like for 10 years, I lived in a kollegium directly across the railroad track from Carlsberg brewery. I used to wave to the workers as I could see them on the work line inside. LOL! Our building had a very big and regular beer delivery and we were all students then and a lot were drinking beer.

I don't think that wine is that expensive as Danish friends are constantly drinking it and of course there's also snaps that is drunk along with beer. Smiles.

Happy Travels!
Old Dec 17th, 2017, 08:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
People people... they are going to Amsterdam. A decision's been made!!

I think that's a perfect choice, but do pick a hotel that is more central. You will be really glad you did. I like the area around Vondelpark and Leidseplein. Very beautiful.

https://www.connexxion.nl/amsterdam-...t-express/1241
I found this a really easy way to get in from the airport.

I found Let's Go for Amsterdam a very helpful little guidebook.
Old Dec 17th, 2017, 10:38 AM

Good grief. I think we've all got that they're going to Amsterdam now. However, initially everyone doesn't have time to read an entire thread before posting. Some of us have a very busy life outside of Fodors. Plus, other people out there are reading comments on posts so whatever else that is posted might be useful to them or even to the OP if the OP decides to possibly return to Europe, in the future, and might decide to select a different city on the original list.

And thanks, marvelousmouse for answering PalenQ's question about Iceland as that info is also helpful to me as I'd like to eventually get there.

Happy Travels!
Old Dec 17th, 2017, 01:12 PM

I like the area around Vondelpark and Leidseplein. Very beautiful.>

My favorite area for hotels in Amsterdam - well out of heavily touristed city center but walkable to every major site and trams go by frequently too. Especially if driving this area is easy to drive to.
Old Dec 17th, 2017, 02:16 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I stayed at Hotel Kap. A 2-star in a residential neighborhood. Considered "city center" for bookings but it is a bit out of the hub bub of the Dam and train station area.