Ireland Co Donegal Week Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2017, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am seeking knowledgeable feedback for trimming, changing or other relative to each day's itinerary. Please be aware specific local sites of interest are not included for editing purposes. Some "unusual" towns mentioned are for mapping purposes only. We're looking to trim this long awaited Donegal return of what may seem possibly redundant in nature. Any trimming, alternatives or other ideas are most welcome.

1) mid September Saturday: Leave Ballycastle, County Antrim 9/9 (parts of Inishowen100) Grinian of Aileach/ Buncrana/ Dunree/ Mamore Gap/ Doagh Famine Village/ Cardonagh/ Malin Head/ Moville/ Muff/ Arrive for week at Lough Errig, Donegal 294.5km/183miles 5 hrs+

From here all drive itinerary days(#s 2-7) departure begin and end in our Lough Errig (central Donegal) self cater

2) LOUGH ERRIG Killybegs/ Kilcar/ Teelin /Carrick/ Slieve League /Malin Beg/ Glencolumbkille/ Glengesh Pass /Ardara for dinner only 141km 3hr2m

3) LOUGH ERRIG (Poisonea Lake and Glen) Doochary/ Glendowan (Glenveagh Nat. Park) / Gweedore/ Dunlewy (Errigal Mt.)/ Annagry/ Bunbeg/ Derybeg/ Bloody Foreland / Dunfanaghy/ Horn Head/ Creeslough Doe Cottage (We have National Heritage Passes) 194k 3h 45m

4) LOUGH ERRIG ~Note: We want a"HALFISH/SHORTER" day. As currently it's constructed: Burtonport /Dungloe / Portnoo/ Ardara revisit 112 km 2 hr 9 min -as currently constructed. If this gets too lengthy for a shorter day, besides Ardara, what changes/cut(s) first?

Or among (#2,#3,#4 days with an especially busy days #2 and #3, where to perhaps better fit (as in thin out and not overload) or- if better served- simply drop some from among places like Annagry/ Burtonport/ Dungloe/ Dunbeg ?

5) LOUGH ERRIG (Fanad Peninsula). Ramelton/ Rathmullan/ Portsalon/ Fanad Head/ Rosnakill/Milford 163 km 3hr 4min

6) LOUGH ERRIG LOCAL DAY Narin / Glenties/ Donegal Town, Castle & Craft Village/ possibly w or w/o Ardara 103 km 1 h 55 m

7) Free/local) day for relaxing, the Lake area and Ardara.

Note: Numbers 2-7 are in are in no particular order just yet. Weather will factor, especially with these two: (free/local and shorter) days

8) Departure for Connemara week next

Many thanks for your efforts and thoughts. I promise all will be much appreciated and studied thoroughly.
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 01:11 AM

You know how much I love timetable itineraries.

Fintown is fairly isolated 15 miles from Ardara so 30 minutes on a Donegal "R" road.

Day 2 you are right with about 3 hours.. Provided you don't get out of the car because that loop in south west Donegal is probably about 80 miles and some of those roads are like those we have round here. I know you are an old hand at Irish roads so you should know your timings are, ambitious? Put the little yellow man on the R230 then convince me you want to drive that at the 80 Kph speed route finder software uses to calculate times.

That's the general run and without mapping out every day factoring in possible weather and unknown personal taste that's about the best I can offer via the forums. Everything you have is possible I'm sure you have mapped each day out but unfortunately your timings are letting the itinerary down a little.
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 12:16 PM

Your timings are ambitious. I find via michelin gives more realistic driving times, about 25% longer than your driving times. I would add 25% to your times for planning purposes.

I have never been to Donegal but I am planning a trip similar to yours. I will be driving from Bushmills on my day 1. I also am driving south to Connemara after visiting Donegal. So based on my planning to date I will make non expert comments on your itinerary.

For day 1. You could take the Lough Foyle Ferry, Magilligan to Greencastle, saving 50 miles of driving and bypassing Derry.

https://goo.gl/maps/e8egn6qUae22

Another option for day 1 is to substitute your day 5 for your day 1. Then do your day 1 on day 5 from Lough Errig.

https://goo.gl/maps/rT1f1qttgNC2

https://goo.gl/maps/NpZmGZQZU8H2

For day 3 you could change the route to visit Glenveagh N.P., Creeslough(option), Dunfanaghy, Horn Head. Then decide on other stops on the N56 as you return to Lough Errig.

https://goo.gl/maps/FZSHqcKVWjM2

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Hi dugi,

We already are taking the ferry route north as planned. I left that ride out if what was presented. I'll look at the rest during the week and thanks.
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 03:08 PM

Greetings,
Hope you had a wonderful trip. We'll be in Donegal for 4 days this September. May I ask for a few of your trip recommendations or highlights? Anywhere especially wonderful to eat, to stay, to drive, to see?
I'm just collecting tips from experienced Donegal travellers.
Thank you.
A quick PS - we do love traditional music, and we're walkers, but our interests range far and wide.