Driving from Florence to Montepulciano - nice scenic place for lunch on the way

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2018, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a jet lag day and night in Milan to see the last supper (and air fares were cheap to fly into Milan), we will be in the Lake Como area for 4 days and then Venice for 4 days. We will then train to Florence where we will rent a car and drive to Montepulciano for 4 days before ending the trip in Rome. We will be arriving in Florence around noon and will rent a car at a site we are familiar with. We are comfortable getting out of Florence without tickets etc. We will not be spending any time in Florence this trip. We would like a recommendation for a point to stop and have a nice meal between Florence and Montepulciano. Some town/village in Chianti with a nice restaurant and perhaps nice view? We don’t need to go in the direct path between the two towns, just want to have our luggage in the car and meander in the general direction of Montepulciano. Any recommendations?
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 10:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would drive through the heart of Chianti (SR222, aka Via Chiantigiana) and stop in Radda or Castellina or anywhere else that looks appealing or suits your timing. It's hard to go wrong on that route.
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 06:29 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Stop in Panzano at Enoteca Baldi on the town square right off of SR 222. . Mimmo Baldi is an excellent chef. They have tables outside. After lunch wander up the lane to see the older part of town too.
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 09:22 AM

Are you familiar with Italian trains and booking your own tickets online? If not www.trenitalia.com and www.italotreno.it - 2 competing rail systems on Milan to Venice and Venice to Florence - are sites to use to book your own discounted tickets online. But cheap tickets are limited in number so book as soon as possible - usually up ton 2 months in advance I think. www.seat61.com has great didactic info on doing just that yourselves - general info Italian trains like 1st v 2nd class (sometimes discounted tickets in first may not be more than in 2nd class so check both and 1st class always has benefits though 2nd class is nice onn those high-speed trains too - check BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.

Milan to Como is via regional trains so just buy those tickets at stations - no benefit to pre-booking and there are no reserved seats possible anyway. But on long-distance high-speed lines you can save tons by booking your own tickets well ahead of time. Como-Venice goes via Milan Centrale, a least the fastest way by far.
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 09:32 AM

italynovice, I re-read your post... You'll want to check the time as you make your way clear of Florence. Hopefully, your train will arrive on time, you'll reach the car rental office quickly, not encounter a line, have no car issues to resolve before you set off, etc. Even without traffic delays, it could easily be 1:00p or later before you are clear of the city. Wherever you decide to join SR222, it will probably take 1.5 hours to reach Panzano.

Although you may want to stop earlier (Greve or even Strada, perhaps?), here's another restaurant to consider in Panzano. Great views.

http://roncaratti70.wixsite.com/ilvescovino

Greve is lovely, but I haven't eaten there in many years. In Strada, Il Caminetto del Chianti is very good and has terrace seating.

https://www.thefork.com/restaurant/i...chianti/332085
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate the comments and suggestions so far. We have already purchased train tickets- I used Loco2, which I have used several times before. I do realize that timing could be a little tight which is why I wanted to have a place in mind for lunch not too far from Florence. We have rented cars a few times before at this car rental place and figure it will be about 1 or a little later by the time we leave Florence. I was thinking along the lines of Strada, Greve, Radda, Castellina, or Panzanno as possibilities. Any of these would be less than an hour away, but I think Strada or Greve (closer) might be a little better to consider than Panzanno. We just want a nice place to relax and enjoy a meal before our late afternoon checkin at Montepulciano. I will look at these suggestions,and,thank you for your input so far.
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Florence car rental place to Entoteca Baldi in Panzano is 49 minute drive by google maps
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 02:24 PM

"Any of these would be less than an hour away." Not exactly.

I find google maps very helpful in planning routes but not as helpful in estimating driving times. Google's calculations are based on driving the route distance at the posted speed limit which is more possible on the autostrada but not always possible on the more interesting and scenic secondary roads (such as SR222). I always add about 10% to driving time estimates.

Where is the car rental location? If Borgo Ognissanti, you could probably reach Strada in less than an hour. Greve would be very close to an hour, not counting time to find parking and walk to the center. (Greve has a ZTL; Strada did not the last time we were there in 2016.) You could probably reach Panzano in about an hour but only if you drove the autostrada. Driving to Panzano on SR222, it would take closer to 1:20. Castellina would be about an hour on the autostrada and 1:45 on SR222. Castellina has a ZTL. Radda would be about 1:10 on the autostrada and 1:45 on SR222. Radda did not have a ZTL in 2016.

I would choose driving SR222 over any specific restaurant or town recommendation.
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Jean, you make good points. Borgo Ognissanti. Agree with SR222
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 08:12 PM

Bookmarking
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 04:14 AM

That is exactly what we did in 2014, our first trip to Europe, before checking in at the Politian Apartments in Montepulciano. What an amazing scenic ride. We followed driving directions and suggestion for lunch, and it worked out perfectly. The restaurant is called Bar Ucci, in Radda in Chianti. And it is still getting rave reviews today. We sat outside on the patio, and mama came out and posed for a photo after our amazing meal (how could ravioli taste this good? Remember, my first time in Italy!).

One thing that we did learn, and it sounds like you already have experience: good luck following numbered routes. At every roundabout and intersection, you have to navigate through dozens of city/village signs to find the one pointing to the end point of your route (even if you're not going that far). The numbered routes are just not consistently signposted, only the villages at the end...I have linked the thread I used to get directions. Pay particular attention to post number 5 - it saved our marriage haha!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...y-Tuscany.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...i_Tuscany.html
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Joan, we are also staying at the Politian apartments in Montepulciano! I am really looking forward to staying there. I think I will do exactly what you did and try for your rec Bar Ucci in Radda.
I cant thank you and others enough for your input. I’m sure I will be back on this site asking for other advice prior to our trip. I’ve travelled quite a bit in Italy and other European destinations since I initially posted as “Italynovice” a number of years back, but I always get great recs and advice.
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 07:57 PM

Note that Bar Ucci is in Volpaia, in the hills a couple of miles north of the center of Radda. It's closed on Mondays. You might want to look at the driving directions on their website.

Bar-Ucci | Dove siamo
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 10:21 AM

bookmarking
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 04:23 AM

Italynovice, I am thrilled that you are going to Bar Ucci. We are visiting montepulciano for the second time this October,after 5 nights in Varenna and doing the same, training to Florence and picking up the rental car. Politian was not available, so we are renting a 2 br "palace" on the main square. I hope it lives up to its name!

I will say the drive took us 5 hours including lunch, but that includes getting lost multiple times. I still remember seeing M for the first time, a walled village high up on a hill. After reading Iris Origo's War in Val D'Orcia, it was magical! Have a wonderful time.

p.s. A worthwhile farm tour at Podere I'll Casale,we're going back with friends
https://podereilcasale.com/en/visit-the-farm/
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

I have also read Iris Orego’s War in Val D’Orchia, which I enjoyed very much. Thanks for the red on the farm tour. Will look it up. Appreciate all the advice. If you have any recs for food in Varenna please let me know!