Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Early March Weather in Paris + what to wear?!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2017, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I will be in Amsterdam and Paris March 1-8. I'm having trouble deciding what to pack as far as shoes/boots and outerwear (jackets, etc).

I'm from Wisconsin and I think the weather will probably be similar to here...so super unpredictable!

Any specific suggestions on really comfortable yet stylish shoes or boots? (I'm 33). Same with coats or jackets.

Thanks
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 05:49 AM

Hi ikjone24, I just typed this on another thread about March/April:

"Weather ran the gamut. We took silk underwear and only needed it on the trip we forgot to pack them! Layers of clothes and coats with zip-out liners worked."

As for shoes, DH wore his favorite sneakers and took loafers for meals out. I also wore sneakers and took one pair of black ballerina-looking crocs for night.

We didn't care about stylish so other "with it" Fodor members can help you.
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 06:07 AM

I would want a waterproof warm jacket with a hood, a heavy sweater to wear under it, and a few lighter sweaters for when the heavy one is too much. Definitely bring hats, scarves, and gloves. I never wear boots. Good walking shoes are enough for me unless I'm hiking in the countryside. I always pack two pairs of shoes apart from the pair I'm wearing.

As far as style, you can wear the same things you'd wear at home for a day out in a nearby city. I never bring special shoes or outfits "for the evening" unless I've been invited to dinner at the embassy or something like that. I wear the same thing I've been wearing during the day, which isn't too shabby for any restaurant I want to eat at.
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 07:27 AM

What does being 33 have to do with it? Don't wear clear lucite 6" heels.

Being stylish is irrelevant. The French are not. Don't confuse fashion shows with how the average person actually dresses. Just don't look like you've been sleeping in a junkyard and you'll be fine unless there's a specific need for wearing couture.
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 07:49 AM

lkjones, my husband, daughter and I will be there March 5th through the 13th. I'm bringing a wool coat, light hat, and light gloves. My daughter has a soft shell coat that's wind and water resistant that she's bringing. I'm not sure what my husband is planning to pack.

I have a pair of black Patagonia shoes that I love for walking. My daughter is bringing a pair of Toms sneaker style shoes. My husband is bringing a pair of Frye boots that he wears all the time.

<i>What does being 33 have to do with it?</i>

Context?
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 08:30 AM

As you say; super unpredictable! Could be cold, rain, snow. Could be dry and sunny - but never warm at that time of the year.

If you find that you are cold, pop in to Uniqlo for their excellent thin but warm thermal underwear and inexpensive light jackets. These are great for layering.

Tom's shoes may not be good enough if it's very wet.
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 09:25 AM

If it's similar to where you live, wouldn't you have an idea of what to wear? It shouldn't be any different than you'd pack for a trip at that time to, for example, New York City. Paris weather is more similar to DC/NYC weather most of the year, I think probably a little milder than Wisconsin.
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 09:40 AM

<i> Early March Weather in Paris + what to wear?!
Posted by: lkjone24 on Jan 25, 17 at 9:43am</i>

Mid 30s to mid 40s. Probably about 10 degrees warmer than Wisconsin. See http://www.worldclimate.com/cgi-bin/...04+1102+06240W for Amsterdam and http://www.worldclimate.com/cgi-bin/...02+1102+07156W for Paris.

What to wear? No need for a heavy coat. Dress in layers and a scarf. You can buy an umbrella when you get there. For more on clothing see http://www.enjoy-europe.com/best-travel-clothes.htm. Leave your jewelry at home.
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 11:10 AM

Some French are stylish. I think some like to think they are not so that they can tell others to wear comfy.
I am in Paris every week and I keep telling myself that women do pay attention to have this ' chic parisien'.
Assorted clothes heels and nice coats.
But ok. Let us say they don't dress.
You are a tourist so you dress anyway you like.
I have leather shoes - in winter they go at level of ankles and have a clean jeans with either a pull a col roule or traditional shirt etc. an additional pull over and a leather jacket.
I used to have a hat but dropped it since I bike in Paris.
Perfectly ok to go to work.
No polar weather to be expected no silk underwear or long underpants needed. I have an umbrella but hardly ever use it.
If you go to a restaurant don't follow the advice of some here : people do dress up a little bit more when going out.
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 11:44 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I have traveled to Paris in March several times and have had beautiful spring weather sometimes, and on at least one memorable occasion, a snow storm. But even when there is snow it doesn't seem to hang around as slushy puddles on the street corners as it does in New York, so while I would want boots in New York I have never needed them in Paris.

Almost everybody wears scarves in Paris, both women and men.

It probably is colder in Wisconsin than it is likely to get in Paris.
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 12:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Since it is winter where you live, wouldn't you just pack the same clothing like you'd use at home for similar temps and conditions? I think Paris will be more mild than Wisconsin.

Why would you need something special for traveling? For March in Paris, I'd wear what you wear in April or May at home should work nicely.
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 12:19 PM

I think you all are being tough on lkjone24.

A generality: He or she seems to be a new traveler. There is a stereotype about stylish Parisians so perhaps fitting in and looking nice is more a consideration than it is for some.

Ease up, folks.
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 01:07 PM

The stereotype is basically true. Parisians do dress up.
The question is relevant, the answer is yes, Parisians like clothes.
They also like good wine, and not diet coke, and they like good food not hamburgers.
Now you'll see a lot of McDo's in Paris. Does it mean my assesment is wrong ?
I let you debate about it.
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the useful information, nice people!

I know how to dress myself for winter/cold
Weather. I was asking for helpful hints as winter clothing is bulky and heavy. Here I can wear snow boots in the mornings and flats by afternoon the weather changes so rapidly. I can't bring that many shoes in one suitcase! I have traveled before but never in march.

I said I wasn't 33 meaning I don't want to wear orthotics.

Jeeeze people.
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 04:26 PM

lkjone24, like you I hail from Wisconsin and I've been to Paris in late February. There were days I wore a fleece jacket and shirt and there were days I wore the slightly heavier coat I brought.

My suggestion is to avoid heavy sweaters and instead bring lighter sweaters and a mix of short sleeve and long sleeve shirts. Walking around whether outside or inside, I found myself to be plenty warm (sometimes too warm) with that mix of clothing plus the right outer layer (fleece or nicer coat) depending on the day. I was certainly wearing fewer layers than some, but coming from a colder climate to a more temperate one, I was reveling in the more spring-like (to us) temperatures!

I have a pair of black b.o.c. ankle boots I got specifically for a trip last February and loved them abroad and at home (I wear them throughout winter even at home) - they're a low heel so sturdy enough on cobblestones and have a really comfortable insole. They're also reasonably priced and not too juvenile-looking or too orthotic. I also brought a pair of Sperrys but found myself going for the boots more often.
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 06:02 PM

I appreciate you giving your age. I'm late 60s, so I wear mainly lower shoes. You'll walk all over the place, so comfort is paramount. We live in Los Angeles, where most people are pretty casual, but I always dress up a little for dinner at nice restaurant (here or there!).

We've been to Paris several in mid-April, and found a pair of lower boots, flats; light weight coat, couple sweaters, nice slacks, and black jeans work well.

Have a fabulous time! It's such fun to shop for scarves and jewelry there.
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 10:52 PM

Bring two pair of leather walking shoes - if one gets wet, which is probable, you can wear the other. Wear the heaviest pair on the plane.
Nobody will look at your feet. It's all about comfort.
Wear a layer underneath your sweater.
Bring a few pair of medium-thick socks.
Don't bother bringing an umbrella - it will be windy, so they are useless. Better to bring a waterproof hat or knit bonnet.
You will need gloves.
During March, there is often "giboulée" - short, violent windy conditions, often with hail and strong rain. Doesn't last long, but not pleasant.
Old Jan 26th, 2017, 07:07 AM

My mom is 80. She wears black Nikes and looks very stylish.

Seriously, when you're a tourist comfort is the most important thing when it comes to shoes. So take the ones that can stand up to rain and cold and that you can walk in all day. That means well-broken-in shoes.
Old Jan 26th, 2017, 07:32 AM

There are stylish weatherproof shoes, but the problem with these threads is that "stylish" is impossible to define for every individual, and so is comfort.

I have a black trench coat with a wool liner that is warm enough for temps in the high 30's with a sweater underneath. It has been a good investment that I'd recommend, as it looks good enough for a city and not absurd if it should stop raining. And I can take out the liner if it warms up. Burberry makes massively expensive versions that might be worth the money given that they would last a lifetime, but mine isn't Burberry.

I would also invest in thin sweaters, cashmere or merino. They're good for day and can be dressed up for evening, they're not bulky, and you can wear them every day if you change out the underlayer (t-shirt, thin collared shirt) and maybe add a scarf. Uniqlo has good super cheap ones, but you can find them everywhere at higher price points.

I have a pair of lace up booties with a medium heel from La Canadienne that are black leather and waterproof, and I can walk for miles in these. Definitely bring at least one pair that is at least somewhat waterproof, and a second pair to swap in if the first one gets soaked. Comfort and style are your choice!

One thing I wish I had: a good rain hat. Every one I have seen recommended looks too Gilligan for a city.

And lastly, if it's really going to rain a lot, consider whether your day bag can handle the wet.
Old Jan 26th, 2017, 07:43 AM

These are similar to my booties:
http://www.zappos.com/p/la-canadienn...61886/color/72

This Chelsea boot is very cool IMO:
http://www.zappos.com/p/la-canadienn...80399/color/72

La Canadienne is a great brand, built to last.

Here is a raincoat with a removable liner and removable hood, Michael Kors, only $150 n sale at Nordstrom:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/michael-...ioncolor=BLACK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -