A home base between Lyon and Annecy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2016, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In very preliminary stages of planning a 3-week trip to France, Switzerland, and Italy (Piemonte) for two mid-60s-early 70s couples. We've spent a fair amount of time in Paris, Provence, Riviera, so this time want to spend time in Lyon/Annecy before taking train trips in Switzerland, then a week in Alba.

We would prefer a week rental that would be "convenient" to both Lyon and Annecy - of course, convenience is subjective. In terms of our interests - food, wine, beautiful surroundings, "living like a local", as well as the normal "touristy" kinds of things.

I've started looking at VRBO and Airbnb and not having a lot of success. Can anyone offer some suggestions of places to look, or specific properties? We'd need at least two BR, two baths, and the wife has indicated she'd like to engage someone local to cook a nice dinner or two for us.

Not asking much, huh?

TIA,

KnoxvileCouple
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 01:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Aix-les-Bain is very nice, along the Lac du Bourget.
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 01:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Aix-les-Bains
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 01:32 PM

Are you going to rent a car or are you relying on public transport? If you want a home cook google "chef a la maison (enter the name of the the town where you are staying)".
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 01:35 PM

For rentals, to start try gites-de-france.com and arbritel.fr among many of the loads of websites you can use to find self catering accommodation in France.
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 02:05 PM

Here is something I posted several years ago about renting gites through Gites-de-France.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...e-web-site.cfm

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Yes, we will have a car. Thanks for the suggestions kerouac, FMT, and StuDudley. Will check them all out.
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 05:23 PM

We like Chambery more than Aix. We've visited both cities twice.

What is your plan? Do you expect to stay in a "middle" area/city and visit Annecy and Lyon by train? Or visit them by car (not advised), or will you just use the car to explore the countyside area??

Chambery to Annecy is 1 hr by train. Chambery to Lyon is 1 to 1 1/2 hrs by train.

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 05:29 PM

Yes, I recommend the most venerable institution for vacation rentals in France, the https://www.gites-de-france.com
and als a newer such website, as of late snapped up by Tripadvisor but still operating under its own name: www.housetrip.com

We have used both extensively, the latter on three continents, with good success.

With a car you can be outside Aix or near one of those very popular spots and still be close enough. Use google maps with "Street View" and also "Satellite View" to look at the environment, and zoom into the regular Google maps until business names etc appear -you'll quickly get a sense of what the immediate surroundings will be like.

Then if it all appeals, close the deal.
Old Dec 20th, 2016, 02:38 AM

Hello, I suggest you to visit Perouges, pay attention to Chambéry often polluted and if you want to fully enjoy Lake Bourget, climb Revard before descending to Annecy by the massif des Beauges. And from there, the Mont Blanc is not very far either (Nice view from Megève, the Mont d'Arbois). See you soon !
Old Apr 18th, 2017, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Back again finally -

After a hiatus of a few months, I'm back looking for advice. I've narrowed our choices to a couple of rentals and would appreciate your opinions.

First is a house on the shore of Lac du Bourget near Conjux. Only one review (very favorable on trip advisor), price is okay, accommodations more than adequate. Incredible views of the lake. Doesn't appear to be walkably close to any town/restaurants.

Second is a house in the town of Saint-Sorlin-en-Bugey. Seven very favorable reviews on trip advisor. Price and accommodations are fine. In town, restaurant within walking distance.

We like views/nature, but we also like being in a town. I know nothing about either location.

If there was a way to identify the specific properties (both listed through trip advisor) I'd give them, but, alas, I know of no way to do that.

TIA,

Sam
Old Apr 18th, 2017, 06:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Sam, you can copy the URL from each of the TripAdvisor postings and paste them here in a reply. That way, the Fodorites can click on the URL and see the properties, reviews, and specifics.
Old Apr 18th, 2017, 07:14 AM

are these the suspects?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Vacation...one_Alpes.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Vacation..._Auvergne.html
Old Apr 18th, 2017, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Christina is spot-on correct! Still hope for your opinions!

Sam