January 1st in Lisbon

Search

January 1st in Lisbon

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2016, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
January 1st in Lisbon

Spending NYE in Lisbon but assuming everything indoors will be closed January 1. Does anyone have reco's on what to do all day?

Thanks!

SS
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 12:02 AM

Perfect opportunity to enjoy the best experience in Lisboa: simply wandering around. The weather should be nice. Get a map and chart out an itinerary to visit the "miradouros" (scenic overlooks). Take your time wandering through the neighborhoods, and when you get to each one, sit and relax and enjoy the views!
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 05:40 AM

Like luz_de_lisboa said, it will be the perfect time to stroll trough the city, specifically Alfama, one of Lisbon's most characteristic districts, and finish in the St. George castle which will be open on this day.
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 05:28 PM

One of my most memorable New Years Days was spent out on the coast near Sintra. If you have a car, the restaurant at Praia d'Adraga is open on New Years -- you choose a freshly caught fish, and they will grill it for you. http://restaurantedaadraga.com
The beach is small and beautiful. From there go to Cabo da Roca for an after lunch stroll -- there are many trails along the headlands.
Old Dec 17th, 2016, 09:24 AM

And p.s, if you do stay in Lisbon, I put together a walking tour of Lisbon years back. I assume the sights it passes would be closed,but the views and the streetscape will be there! http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-of-lisbon.cfm.
Old Dec 17th, 2016, 10:23 AM

Two weeks ago we had lunch in Cascais on the upper terrasse at Reserva by Olivier, overlooking the square and looking out onto the harbor - very nice, and good food, too.

The restaurant is in a hotel called Villa Cascais - see
http://portugalconfidential.com/rese...er-in-cascais/

I would call + 351 214 814 500 and ask about Jan. 1st. Staff spoke very good English.

The train for Cascais leaves from Cais do Sobré, the big hub (buses, trams, boats, trains) in Lisbon, it’s a nice ride mostly along the waterfront, and the last stop before Cascais is Estoril, you might want to look it up and wander around a bit there, too.

In Cascais you should walk to the rock formation with swirling water called “Hell’s Mouth” - see http://www.cascais-portugal.com/Attr...o-Cascais.html

When we were there the swirls themselves were a bit underwhelming, I guess it was low tide and not enough wind to really whip things up into a frenzy, but it was a nice stroll with good photo ops anyway. Just right for a leg stretch after a good lunch before returning to the train station.

BTW - if you have the Viva Viagem card for public transport in and around Lisbon (highly recommended), it is valid on that train; I don’t know how much will be deducted when you tap it, so check how much you have left on it.