Short trip to Madeira

Search

Short trip to Madeira

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2016, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Short trip to Madeira

I will be in Lisbon for a few weeks in March and have the chance to add on a short trip (four nights). We have been before, and stayed in Funchal. I agree that it's a very central location, easy to get everywhere, but I'd like to try something else.

I've gone through the Madeira threads and made a list of different recommendations for things to do. And I've come up with the idea that maybe two nights in Canical and two nights in Sao Vicente would work for us. What do the Madeira experts think?

We will arrive after the overnight flight from the US with a transfer in Lisbon (arriving in Funchal early afternoon if the travel gods smile on us), so a short drive to Canical seemed like a good thing.

I also have some specific questions.

On my last trip, we walked from Pico de Ariero to Pico Ruivo and back (I'm not sure which place we started, but we did go out and back). My husband is now not up to that strenuous of a hike, so I'm wondering whether there are shorter walks from either point that we could take. And as between the two end points, which is the better one to drive to?

I am also collecting info on some of the less strenuous Levada walks. I have seen Levada Caldeirao Verde near Santana mentioned, as well as the Levada Balcoes from Ribeiro Frio. If you had to pick two less strenuous walks, in the 12 km (8 miles) range, which would you pick?

I know there isn't much in the way of Madeira activity on this board, but hoping for some help. Many thanks.
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 11:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You say that your husband isn't up to too strenuous a walk, so do you want to avoid steeper hills altogether? If I remember correctly the Areiro to Ruivo trek was quite strenuous, so I'd concentrate on the Levadas for this trip.

Levada Caldeirao Verde should be OK for you and if you haven't done a Levada in the past, have a look at

http://www.walkmeguide.com/en/madeira/trails-list/

which should give you an idea of how hard the walks are. The two you mention are each given one mountain symbol out of three.
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

That's a great website, Rubicund, thanks so much. Do you have any opinion on the places I'm thinking of stayiing?

Yes, the Ariero to Ruivo trek and back was a good cardio workout. One of the prettiest hikes I've ever done, though. I would love to repeat but I just don't think my husband is up to it. Ah well, we will gaze off from the lookout spots and remember our hike, which involved if I am remembering correctly, walking through some tunnels.
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 01:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Canical is a tiny place out on the end of the main road and has a couple of restaurants but no hotels in the village. There are a couple of places at either side but if you want quiet, then it will be without much to do in the evenings. The better hotel IIRC is the Quinta do Lorde, but I haven't stayed there.

Over to Sao Vicente there's one hotel again IIRC right on the beach, the Estalagem do Mar, but not stayed there either.

Years ago we stayed at Machico at what is now called the Dom Pedro. It was good then and a short ride out of Funchal. To be honest, since the roads have improved on the island, we tend to stay in Funchal for the greater choice of restaurants and hotels. Both places you mention are easy day trips but offer more immediate access to the countryside. Funchal does offer easy access to the Levadas.
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 02:43 AM

I've been to Madeira many times over the years. We always find Funchal the most convenient base with its great range of hotels and nice restaurants plus easy access to anywhere else on the island (especially given the improvement in the road network and tunnels over the past decade or so).

Having said that, other locations to stay on the island would be fine, provided you like it being very quiet especially in the evenings. Out of the two places you mentioned, Sao Vincente would be my choice, a beautiful village with stunning views of the dramatic north coast. Canical in the extreme east of the island doesn't get many tourists. The village itself is dominated by a large industrial port area, though does have the interesting, newish Whaling Museum. The Quinto do Lorde is a beautiful resort hotel east of Canical towards the São Lorenço peninsula. I haven't stayed there either but it looks very attractive, though very quiet.
Old Nov 17th, 2016, 09:45 AM

If you've been to Madeira, I advised you to go to the Azores instead. If you like nature, 4 days in São Miguel is ideal, you will love it.
Old Nov 17th, 2016, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Two years ago we did a similar trip to Sao Miguel, and you are right it was wonderful. We spent two nights on the north, in Solar de Lalem near Maia, and three nights in Caloura in the Quinta do Mar. Wow, it was fabulous!

For next year's trip we were debating between Madeira and a different island in the Azores, but Madeira won out this time.

I'm back on the fence about Funchal vs. the outer places given the comments. We are not foodies and we don't need a lot of action, so those two places seemed good. But it is nice to be able to be out and about at night, so maybe I will just plunk us down in Funchal for four days. I'll look back through the archives for hotel suggestions, but if anyone has a hotel recommendation in the mid range, say 80-120 euros, I'd love to hear it.
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 06:49 AM

Try the Madeira Panoramico Hotel. It's my choice in Funchal.
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 08:30 AM

In that price range in March you can easily get a nice 4 or even 5 star hotel. Madeira has some great value hotels. In Funchal I can recommend Melia Mare, any of the Pestana hotels especially the Promenade. If you can get in the Porto Santo Maria in the Old Town that would be great too.