Bike/golf Ireland Sept 2017

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2016, 12:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't make this year but now wonder if this trip could work well. I would like to bike and golf Ireland in September so would pack the road bike and clubs, fly into Dublin. Send the golf clubs onto a selected destination in far town, say Westport, for pick-up a week later. Then hop on the bike and pedal off to see the countryside at my pace, stopping at B&B, even tenting or roughing it. Arrive at town, get golf clubs, rent room for a week, rent car for a week, park bike and go golfing in area.
Repeat once more, this time towards Cork. Finally send clubs back to Dublin (airline office?), pedal to Dublin, pack bike, fly away.
Expensive? Unknown but money not the primary issue. Weather, logistics of sending on the clubs, road travel by bike, etc might hamper the plans.
Any advice/experience welcome. Could seek rooms amongst 'pen pals' which might also be more personal. I'm a Quaker so could look for those sorts in Ireland. Ancestors from Sligo and other parts of island and i'm getting on, as they say, so this is it for me and the 'Auld Sod'.
Thanks all.
Old Aug 6th, 2016, 03:20 AM

When I first started reading I thought you were going to cycle with your clubs over your shoulder. Good decision not to.

I like the idea but if it were me I would fly to Shannon and head west/southwest. But that is a small quibble based on personal preference. I'm guessing you are not too concerned about playing some of the famous courses. I also wouldn't be crazy about cycling that far into the prevailing wind from Dublin but good for you.

I would probably also rent the car from day one with a bike carrier and be able to alternate days of golf and biking, and have a car available for rainy days. But that's cause I am a wussy.

Hope it works.
Old Aug 6th, 2016, 05:17 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Slight damper . . . to qualify - I don't ride long distance -- just short rides around home so I'm not a 'road warrior'. But I have been to Ireland and the UK many times and I probably would not plan a bike tour.

In the scenic/rural bits the roads tend to be very (VERY) narrow, w/ no shoulders let alone bike lanes (though there are some long distance cycle routes). Plus all your instincts re which way the traffic is coming and what evasive action you should take would be 180 off. Plus the weather can be VERY wet and windy.

Not that riding is impossible -- lots of people do. But instead of basing your entire trip around lugging your bike to Ireland -- I'd maybe do a car based trip and rent bikes for a day or two, now and then locally.
Old Aug 7th, 2016, 05:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
https://www.biketours.com/ireland/?g...FYQ6gQod5uIGIA

Look at some of these tours. We had a group go from the local cycle club but they had a support team with them. One couple had all the repair items for the trip and drove the support vehicle. Just flying the bikes was an adventure. They did have a great time.
Old Aug 7th, 2016, 06:52 PM

Be aware that it rains a lot in Ireland. How prepared are you to ride 30/40/50 miles in the rain on roads that janisj described? I realize the idea sounds great, but you really need to research distances, the quality of the roads and the terrain as well as assessing your bike skills before embarking on such an itinerary. Sending your golf clubs ahead is probably doable but may not be as easy as you might think. It could be great fun or it could be awful.