Ireland bicylcling trip

Search

Ireland bicylcling trip

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland bicylcling trip

I'm thinking about planning a bicylcling trip in Ireland in June or July. What should I expect regarding weather? Does anyone have advice on areas to ride in? I plan on riding 50-60 miles per day.
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 04:04 PM

The wind may be your biggest challenge but the weather is very unpredictable.

Favourite areas:

1) Connemara area around Clifden.
2) Dingle Peninsula and the Conor Pass.
3) Wicklow Mountains south of Dublin.

I would check with local residents about traffic. The last time we were in the Doolin area the cars were downright dangerous.
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 05:50 PM

Bright neon. Are you doing this alone? Friends did it with a bike group. Took bikes and gear. They had a support vehicle. They did Dingle Peninsula, The Burren and west coast.
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 08:49 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
60 miles a day is very ambitious. Most days that would take about 2 hours by car. The roads are very narrow and there are usually no shoulders or bike lanes.

http://www.ireland.com/en-us/what-is...-great-routes/

as for weather -- lots of wind especially on the west coast and everything from warm/dry-ish to cool to cold to gully washer rains - and often all on the same day.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations....UaHt5cks.dpbs
Old Nov 7th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to colduphere, flpab, and janisj. You insight is greatly appreciated. I will hopefully be riding with one or more companions. I usually like doing self guided rides with equipment rented from local shops. It's so hard to know what to expect when going to an unfamiliar territory. I've gone that distance on many multiple day rides in the US. I usually manage to stay on safe, low traffic back roads. There is nothing like exploring new territory on a bike. Thanks again for your advice.
Old Nov 7th, 2014, 03:29 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>> I've gone that distance on many multiple day rides in the US. I usually manage to stay on safe, low traffic back roads. <<

That is the issue -- of course you'll want to be on slow, low traffic roads. You need to understand that nearly ALL rural roads n Ireland are slow. But they are also mostly <u>very</u> narrow, w/ stone walls and no (or very narrow) shoulders. You will mostly be sharing traffic lanes on narrow, hilly, winding roads w/ blind summits, etc.

Not that you shouldn't ride in Ireland - but don't expect to have an easy go of it.