Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Monterey peninsula traffic Labor Day weekend.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Daughter recently moved to Walnut Creek and DH and I are thinking of visiting her and spending Labor Day weekend in Monterey area. DH and I have been before, years ago; first time for her.

Thinking of leaving Friday noon or Sat morning early and returning Tuesday to avoid the worst traffic. Plan is to stay in Monterey and visit Carmel, Pacific Grove, and Big Sur. Point Lobos is out as we will be traveling with a dog.

We know area will be crowded but my biggest concern is traffic in Monterey area; don't want to be stuck in bumper to bumper traffic each day. Maybe spend worst traffic day in Monterey itself.

Have not reserved yet, but accommodations (surprisingly) are still available; will need to book very soon. We were planning similar trip for October, but DD would like to make use of 3 day weekend.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 07:37 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I realize that my personal aversion to crowds doesn't apply to everyone, which is why there are crowds. But I cannot think of anything worse than a popular tourist area on Labor Day weekend. For me, my worst nightmare but if you can cope, then you know what to expect. I'm not sure what anyone can say that could make it better. You're far braver and hopefully more patient than I. Bring snacks!
Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 08:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Leave on Friday. Traffic is bad on pretty much every weekend around the Carmel area. Just go and enjoy yourselves. It is what it is. Make reservations in advance for any special meals or sites. Aquarium will be mobbed, so plan ahead.
Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the quick replies.

DH and I usually travel off-season and avoid crowds when possible. But we will go some weekend as DD wants to save vacation days for trips further away.

If crowded most weekends, how much more traffic on Labor Day weekend? No plan to go to Aquarium or dine at special restaurants. Expect to spend most of our time enjoying beautiful scenery and do some shopping. DD thinks that is the best way to explore cities! ;-) Fortunately, DH will have the dog to keep him company while DD and I explore the shops.

Will crowds be so bad we will have problems finding places to park and to eat?
Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 03:22 PM

I think most parking lots/areas and restaurants will be impacted by the holiday weekend. So either make reservations or be patient.
Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 05:04 PM

I lived in Monterey for quite a few years. Definitely return on Tuesday. Traffic on Labor Day trying to go north out of the Monterey area will be horrid.

While you are in the Monterey area, though, it shouldn't be all that bad. Yes, it might be crowded right around Fisherman's Wharf area, but you should have no problem getting parking there. The area that always bogs up, though, is Highway 1 just south of Monterey where the lanes drop from 2 to 1 right as you start to enter Pebble Beach and Carmel. The extra holiday traffic will only make that worse.

The little town of Carmel/Carmel by the Sea is a lovely place to go and spend an afternoon. Lots of art galleries and cool shops, a nice upscale shopping center, etc. And let's not forget the beautiful beach and lots of restaurants. Park your car somewhere and just walk for the afternoon - it's really a small place.

You can also shop at the Del Monte Mall - lots of parking there. And finally, you can shop downtown Monterey around Alvarado Street, or Cannery Row.
Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 06:08 PM

Parking is an issue in downtown Carmel every weekend. I had a hard time finding a spot this afternoon. You may have to park a little farther from the downtown core and walk. The benefit of parking farther away is that it's untimed and you can leave your car all day. Otherwise downtown street parking is limited to 2 hours so you have to move your car.

As mentioned above Hwy 1 can be congested starting just north of Carmel and through Big Sur. Try to get out early if you want to head south. Over July 4th weekend it was taking 45 minutes to go from Carmel to Carmel Highlands in the afternoon.

There is also supposed to be construction starting after car week in August on the Hwy 68 (coming from Pacific Grove)/Hwy 1/Pebble Beach Hwy 1 Gate intersection. They're planning to replace the current traffic light with a roundabout which will take well into 2017 to complete. That could potentially make getting between Carmel and Pacific Grove problematic.