Need Help On French Polynesia Trip in June.

Old Jan 31st, 2016, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help On French Polynesia Trip in June.

We have used the Fodor's Forums before and appreciate all the help and support we have received from our fellow travelers, so we are asking for your help finalizing a trip to French Polynesia for June 2016.

My husband and I (mid-60's from the Boston area) are planning a trip to Tahiti, the Society Islands & the Tuamotus in June for a milestone anniversary. We are about to book the 10-day cruise on M/S Paul Gaugin, http://www.pgcruises.com/destination...6-01/itinerary, leaving from Papeete, with stops in Huahine, 2 days in Bora Bora, Rangiroa, Fakarava, Taha'a, 2 days in Moorea, and back to Papeete, with only 1 day at sea.

We have only taken one other cruise which was on the Windstar in the Caribbean, so the small size of the Paul Gaugin appeals to us. Being almost new to cruising, we would love your feedback, suggestions and tips on the PG ship & cruise itself, cabins (we want a balcony), food, drink, seasickness concerns, etc.

We also want your recommendations on shore excursions for each island (the ship's and any exceptional, reliable private excursions). We definitely want to enjoy the beauty and culture of the island, as well as the sea & beaches. We like to snorkel but I am not a strong swimmer, and neither of us dives. My husband is active but has a knee that gets sore when walking/hiking long distances, or on very steep inclines & uneven surfaces.

We will be flying from Boston to LAX on our own. Any advice on taking the included flights to Papeete that come with the cruise? Or taking the PG credit & booking our own flight? Husband is quite tall (6'3") & with a sore knee, comfort is important but our budget can't spring for First Class. We usually go Economy Plus or the equivalent & enjoyed our flights to New Zealand on Air NZ in their Premium Economy seats.

We will only have time for one day and night in Papeete pre-cruise - is that enough for Papeete or should we plan another day post-cruise?

After the cruise, we'd like to go to an island for 3-4 days and while we are leaning towards going back to Bora Bora or Moorea, we welcome your thoughts on those or other islands and resorts. We can arrange "Extend Your Trip" to select islands/resorts through Paul Gaugin or we can make our own arrangements. Again, we welcome your feedback.

If I failed to ask something important, please chime in. Thanks in advance for any help you can give us.
Old Jan 31st, 2016, 05:09 PM

If you don't get any answers here, you might try the Cruise Critic Forum boards. PG past cruisers seem very eager to help you. We are booked on the Wind Spirit in May, so I can't help. Have a wonderful trip.
Old Feb 2nd, 2016, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, chale1, I do plan to post on Cruise Critic as well. How did you decide on Wind Spirit? We took a cruise with them in the Caribbean a few years ago.
Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 02:19 PM

We sailed with Windstar in 2010 on their Turkey and Greece tour. We loved the small ship, the laid back atmosphere, and the unassuming passengers. It was a great trip. If you haven't already booked the PG cruise, you might check them out.
Old Feb 4th, 2016, 01:39 AM

We cruised from Hawaii to Sydney last year, stopping at Papeete, Bora Bora and Moorea.
Papeete we just took a taxi to some local beaches.
Bora Bora we booked prior to the cruise to go to Le Meridien resort for the day. Went to the Turtle sanctuary. They have a great pool and beach, and is on the other side of the port so you get a scenic boat ride around the island.
More we booked at the dock a snorkelling with Sharks and Rays. Don't need any swimming experience. You can stand in the low water and see the rays and sharks swimming around you.

Middle of my blog you can see some pictures:

http://hansellajc.wix.com/hanselltra...f2db6dcfb3737c
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 12:42 PM

Ia Orana,
For the extension,
Just my own préférences
Moorea is very close to Tahiti,bringing locals to the place on week ends.
Scenery is beautiful but nothing spécial
Bora is gorgeous more remote island atmosphère but still touristy and plagued by stray dogs.

For real south island charm, You could think of tuamotu, atoll islands. Nothing to do,Just the weird impression to be middle of nowhere on a tiny motu with the village and local life. Fakarava and Tikehau are these places, beautiful lagoons endless walks,diving if You wish to