Search

NYC and then?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2016, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC and then?

Hi readers!
I'm going to visit a friend in NYC end of May/beginning of June. I am staying 4 nights in NYC but then I have a few days I can't make up my mind on where to go....so many things to see! I would travel on my own and staying for 3 nights then back to NYC for my last night. My friend is highly recommending to go to DC but I'm also very keen on going to Boston or someplace on the coast, like the Hamptons or Cape Cod, but I'm not sure this last option would be a bit boring on my own, cos perhaps it's not high season yet.
Any suggestions, tips would be very much appreciated!
Thanks much!
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 09:30 AM

OK - as far as beaches in late May or early June - the season for the Hamptons really begins on Memorial Day so things ill be open. BUT, the water will still be very cold (it is the NORTH atlantic) and it's very difficult to get around the Hamptons without a rental car. You can take the train or Hampton Jitney to Montauk where there are a few motels that are within walking distance of the beach. Other than that the inns/hotels in the various towns are miles from the town beaches. Beaches are all either town beaches (you need a town sticker), belong to the mansions of the uber rich, or are part of a state park - which has camping only.

Fo Cape Cod the water is even colder and the season really begins in July, although quite a few things will be open in June. Again, getting around can be a problem.

If you really want to stay at a beach you might better look at one of the singles towns on the Jersey shore - but expect prices for lodging to be very high.

And NYC IS right on the coast. If you just want a day at a beach you can easily get public transit to Coney Island (large traditional amusement area as well as beaches) or the Rockaways (gorgeous beaches and boardwalks but not all of the amusement foofaw.) Or for even more beautiful you can take the LIRR/bus to Jones Beach - a huge state park with miles upon mile of pure white sand and north atlantic surf.

If it were me I would do DC. Much as a I love Boston DC has way more to see and do.

And I wouldn't bother with a beach unless you live someplace that has no access to any decent beaches.
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 09:36 AM

What is it that you enjoy? What will you be doing while in NYC? Agree that it i early to go to the beach in late May unless it turns out to be unseasonably warm. Are you interested in history, museums, food, theater, nature? Are safety concerns primary for you in terms of where you go? Do you care about mass transit vs car rental? What out budget? Describe past trips and what you especially enjoyed about them and maybe we can help give you some ideas.
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 11:14 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If DC doesn't thrill you, take a NE Regional train to Baltimore. There is plenty to see at the Inner Harbor and you might even go to a O's game at Camden Yards.
I also like the National Aquarium and the US Constllation.
You can also get a water taxi to see Fort McHenry.
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 03:39 PM

People go to the Hamptons and go in the water? Who knew? I never knew water temps were a priority there.

Sounds great to me -- nice weather before the big crowds arrive. Cape Cod would be lovely too.

Yes, you'd probably want a car at either. Is that a problem? I missed any reference to not wanting to rent one.

Suggesting a day at Coney Island instead of the Hamptons or the Cape takes the prize for the most bizarre post of the new year!
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 03:45 PM

If one just wants to visit a beach it is available.

Hamptons are obviously a much better choice, but not inexpensive, one must have a car and get a town beach pass from the inn one stays in. I was reading the OP as fairly young and not high budget.

Perhaps I am wrong and they have unlimited funds. Also not sure if they understand what Hamptons beaches are like versus what many people think of as beach resorts (boardwalk, restaurants, bars and amusement directly on the shore, as well as crowds of young people just hanging around).
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 04:01 PM

Whatever, tg, you always know best.

By the way, did you notice the OP never even used the word "beach" or indicated swimming"? Just curious.
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 04:03 PM

Yes, New York, Boston, DC or Jersey Shore. Let us presume that Snookie's fans have found Fodor's.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!
I get the picture of the Hamptons, might not be a good idea as I don't want to rent a car either. What about Cape Cod though? is it the same as the Hamptons? or could I stay in a B&B in the town and rent a bicycle to go around? I don't expect huge crowds but obviously would like some young people hanging around. I just wanted to go somewhere else than a city, chill for a bit, experience some nature too, and thought that the coast was close enough. But if not possible, I'll take in your suggestions and go to DC or Boston instead, which is very exciting too. I love museums, art, history, but also the vibe, the spirit, the buzz that a city has...trendy galleries, shops and cool bars...I don't intend to just visit museums all the time!...so a mixture of both would be great.
Thanks much!
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 07:39 AM

If you want to go to Provincetown, you can go to Boston and then take a ferry and get a bike for town. But there are relatively few options for you on the Cape if you don't want to drive (PTown is the best I think).

Washington is a great city with a great vibe, as is Philadelphia. Both are easily reachable from NYC. Boston is too, but I don't think it has as much of the trendy stuff you're looking for.
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 02:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you