wanting to visit Italy soon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I was trying to get things set up and know about how much everything will cost me and my two kids to come for three months to Italy. I was told to stay away from hotels that are expensive and i did find places to rent short term for 3 months but if I did that then it would be kinda hard to explore Italy. I know people in Ireland would rent their rooms out but I forgot what the name was a guy told me what they call it to google online. He said him and his daughter did that for 3 months backpacking and traveling staying with people who rent out their rooms. He said you can travel around more and adventure without hurrying trying to get back to a motel/hotel.If not I guess I can rent a apartment short term in the southern part of Italy for 3 months then the next summer do the same but in the north part. Also i keep reading your only allowed to stay in Italy for 90 days touring so how can i stay three months? Do I need to write to the Italy government and ask permission?
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 08:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi, welcome to Fodors, just a few answers to get the ball rolling

Staying in people's houses could be with AirBNB certainly worth looking into. There is also the idea of couchsurfing, depending on the age of your kids this may or may not be such a great idea.

Short term lets for a week, 2 weeks or a month might be a good deal. That would let you see what an area is like and then move on to another. Note that access to heating in some italian places may be set by a local building committee or even local town hall, and aircon in the summer may be a necessity to you but not to others. If you want an idea of appartment costs in italy have a look at appartments in booking.com for a likely city. You'll find that prices vary by the season, and of course position,position, position.

It depends a bit who you are and where you come from but, for instance most Americans (but not all) can visit the Schengen area (Italy is part of this area) for 90 days (which is about 3 months in most people's thinking). Other countries differ.
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Hi and Thank you...I will look into AirBNB and bookings see which is best options. My kids are well when summer comes will be 11 and 8. I have been googling places to visit and see. My main thing is the arts and history. They would love that also. I've been googling do's and dont's in Italy and where kids are allowed in which MUSEUMS. The Cathedral of Siracusa,Gaiola Bridge,Colosseum in Rome, The Fountain of Neptune, Piazza della Signoria,Sistine Chapel, and so many more. I think I have a book of things to see lol. Just reading and trying to learn Italian and the culture I feel in love with it. What about getting around? I have to admit I'm a bad driver my friends and family ask all the time how did I get my license lol. What about if I want to go to another country while I'm there just for one day like Paris or Egypt to see the pyramids then get back? Sorry for all the questions. I been googling and so many topics I read one thing then someone says a negative thing that its wrong so I just think its better to get someone whos there or been there to get a real answer. If that makes sense cause I'm not writing it how I'm thinking it sorry
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 09:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
kids of that age will be allowed virtually everywhere, [the only exception can think of is the Scavi tour below St Peter's in Rome] so that shouldn't be a problem.

if you don't want to drive that's fine, just find a centre or 2 [or 3] which has good rail connections, like Florence for example, which would make a fine centre for a medium to long-term stay.

And of course you can do short trips to other places, though if you are thinking about Paris or particularly Egypt, it might be a bit far just to go for a day. The only rule about Schengen is that if you have been there for 90 days, you need to leave for another 90 days before you can come back. so if your stay was 90 days in total, no reason why you shouldn't break it up, though it might be easier to put, say, Paris at the beginning and Egypt at the end, and less expensive.

finally there are no wrong answers - this is your trip, and what you want to do is what matters.
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 09:46 AM

Nitelilly - you need to get some basic info under your belt before you rush into anything.

First get a good, detailed map of Italy and also consult a map of europe. I fear both Italy and europe are much larger than you think.

If you are not a confident, assertive and strong driver you have no business behind the wheel in Italy. Also, many towns have pedestrian only centers, so having a car in a city is a complete nonsense (cost of rental, $40 per night for parking and no place to drive it). If you get tickets for being in the wrong place the fine can run into hundreds of euros. You should plan on traveling by train.

Then have a look at the bahn.de web site, which has train schedules for all of europe.

As for going to other countries as a day trip - this is not really an option, unless you are in very northern Italy and want to spend a day in Switz. To go to Paris or Egypt (?) you would need to fly and allow yourself at least 4 or 5 days to see anything.

As for length of stay as americans you are allowed 90 days as a tourist. This is fixed and there are no exceptions. If you are determined to stay longer you will have to contact the Italian consulate (go to their visa web site first) and see if you and your kids can qualify for any other sort of visa (I can't imagine what that might be). And obtaining them can be a long and arduous process and approval is not guaranteed, except for student visas in approved university programs.

The idea of center for a couple of weeks in a number of places is a good one. You can see the city you are staying in and then do some day trips by train.

If you want to stay in an agriturismo in Tuscany (kids would love with pool, farm animals, etc) you will need to find one that either has easy access to local public transit (few) or hosts that are willing to drive you to the nearest train station.

If I were you I would concentrate on finding 5 or 6 centers that you could spend a couple of weeks in each in different parts of the country.

Finally I don;t see when you will be going. You need to be aware that much of Italy can be very hot and humid in the summer and unlike the US everyplace doesn't have AC. Modest lodgings, including many private apts, stores, restaurants, etc often don't have AC so that is something you will need to look for very carefully unless you don;t mind temps in the 90s most days.

If you start looking into this and come back with more specific questions people will be happy to help.
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 09:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
trains are very much the answer. read seat61 to understand how it all works.
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 10:31 AM

NYtraveler gave you some very good advice. Start with a map of Italy and a map of Europe so you get an idea of where everything is.
Have your children done a similar trip before? Are they very good travelers?
When are you planning on being in Italy? I plan 6-9 months for a two week trip. I have traveled with my kids many times but nothing like you are planning which I would guess is much more complex.
I also love history and art but most kids would have limited tolerance for that, but you know your kids best.
Kids are allowed almost everywhere in Italy. It is very kid friendly in my experience.
If you have 12 weeks, you can see quite a bit of the country.
I would rent a place for 2-4 weeks at a time, depending on how much you want to pack and unpack with small kids and do day trips from your bases.
I do not think one day trips to Paris or Egypt are in the realm of possibility.
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Wow so much info and now I need to rethink and replan things. I assumed going to Paris and Egypt would only take 1 day to visit but I was wrong and glad I asked. I've never took my kids out the States, when I went to Belize I was by myself with some friends.I was planning on coming over to Italy in June staying for 3 months. I googled about coming over in the fall but it says its down in the 18 to 34 and rains a lot(love that weather but wanted me and kids to see the beaches in Italy) So first thing go get a map and books from the book store and start fresh again and come back here if I have anymore questions Thank you so much and if anymore advice please do share. I only asked about if I could stay longer is cause I wanted to come for 6 months but 90 days is good for our first. I been reading about people coming from the states and moving to Italy so I just again assumed you could visit longer. Glad I asked and thank you for the info
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

I may need to wait til next summer so I can get all my infos together and plan better for me and my kids.
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 11:54 AM

<<I assumed going to Paris and Egypt would only take 1 day to visit but I was wrong and glad I asked.>>

nitelilly, if this is actually a serious post (and it's a bit hard to believe it is), start with a map and an atlas. You don't seem to have even a basic sense of geography.

You can stay in the Schengen Zone as a US visitor for 90 days only. People who move to Italy either get hired to work there or get long-term visas, which you can't qualify for, I would imagine. Or they have dual citizenship or are married to an Italian. And what about your kids' schooling? Even if you go for 90 days, that is an issue. Do you speak Italian? That's an issue too, though not if you hang around the touristy areas.

You are aware that 18 and 34 are Celsius degrees, right? Not Fahrenheit.

It is premature, and unnecessary, to research where kids will be allowed. Kids are allowed everywhere in Italy, with perhaps the exception of some very high-end restaurants, where they would be uncomfortable anyway. It's not an issue, and certainly not one you should be preoccupied at this point, when you aren't even familiar with basic geography.
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 12:02 PM

You can't do a day trip to Egypt...fastest non-stops from Rome take over three hours, plus a few hours of airport/transit time.

(I answer this on the assumption that this was a serious post...)

ssander
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 12:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I was wondering about schooling too, how old are your kids, nitelilly?
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 12:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Frankly, I don't think you even know all the questions you need to ask. Do you have a budget for the trip? Do you know where you want to go in "the southern part of Italy"? Does that include Sicily?

Buy a printed guidebook or two (Lonely Planet, Fodors, Frommers) and start reading.

There are many internet-based home sharing services. AirBnB, Flipkey, Homeaway, Onefinestay, VRBO. There's an aggregate site called Alltherooms.com. Kidandcoe.com focuses on kid-friendly rentals.
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for all these feeds and yes this is a serious post I see now I didn't prepare at all for any of this. I wouldn't need schooling for my kids for the 90 days cause that was summer and even if it wasn't my kids are being tooken out of the schools to homeschooling. They start that January 4th due to bullying done to one of my kids and other situations.
I apologize if I made this post seem like it was a joke I know now I will be waiting til everything is carefully planned and location is and money is planned out. I will be ordering me map of Italy and already started looking for books on Italy. I have 10,000 saved up in my savings I just figured it was enough to get me and my kids by for 90 days without eating out but 1 time a week and not buying expensive items. I wanted to travel all of Italy from Sicily to Florence. That's why I was wondering about people who rent out rooms for a couple days then move on to the next town making my way up north or vise versa.
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 02:03 PM

<<my kids are being tooken out of the schools to homeschooling. >>

Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't seem like the best idea until basic grammar can be taught to them. But whatever....

The last thing you want to do is up and move every couple of days on a 3-month trip. You need to settle down in maybe 3 places for a month each. Nobody wants to be a nomad for 3 months on end.

Get those guidebooks and maps and start studying. Wanting your children to experience another part of the world is a grand ideal, but it needs to be very carefully researched.
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

I do have places I want to visit all over Italy and lots of it I been googling free places to visit with kids but I know now I need a starting point and how many days I plan to stay in that town and how I'll get around for us for couple days and how much I plan to spend while I'm in that town. Shoot just looking at YouTube and pictures I really think it'll be a blessing and a dream come true just to stand on Italy ground and see the history towns and no I don't know Italian. I am trying to learn I bought cd's and trying to do penpal app and find people that want to learn English for trade to teach me also thanks y'all
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

@stcirq so is it best to do like the southern part of Italy for 3 months then another time come back and do the northern part to get a better experience with my kids
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 04:59 PM

nitelilly - $10K wold not even BEGIN to cover the costs of 3 months in Italy for 3 people.

First, airfare will be at least $3k. This leaves $7K for 90 days, which is only $77 or about 65 euros per day. It will be difficult to get even basic lodging for 3 people for this amount of money. (Unless you live in a large city Italy will be more expensive for almost everything.) And that would be VERY basic and probably not central. Trains between cities, transit within cities, entrance fees to sights and food/snacks and entertainment would all be in addition to that.

I think you need at least double the $10K for even the most basic trip - and that would be squeezing every penny. Even buying 3 gelatos a day can bust your budget. As would taking kids to any amusement places.
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 05:01 PM

Separately, and I know this is none of my business - but if you planning on doing homeschooling for your kids who will be doing it?

Based on your knowledge of grammar, geography, history and economics I don't think you are prepared for the task.
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 05:04 PM

Separately, and I know this is none of my business - but if you planning on doing homeschooling for your kids who will be doing it?

Based on your knowledge of grammar, geography, history and economics I don't think you are prepared for the task.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -