Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2014, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Rental Cancun and Tulum

Any advice on car rental at Cancun
Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 07:06 AM

This topic has been covered many times here. The first thing to consider is that you will need more insurance in Mexico - your credit card coverage isn't going to cut it. My personal experience is to go with eithe Easyway or America. They both offer reasonable rates that include all the insurances. I've found the international chains like Alamo, Thrifty, etc to be a lot more expensive when you factor in the insurance.
Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 11:27 AM

I also like Easyway, have used them in the past and also my travel companion always uses them. Expect to pay about $35-40 per day with full coverage including zero deductible (called EPC) for a small sedan. Last two trips we had a Nissan Tilda.
Whatever you do, do not book through a third party like Expedia or Hotwire, that is where most of the bad experiences occur that I have read about. I've also used CancunRentaCar, which is part of America and they were good as well.
Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I know this topic has been covered before, but most of the posts are old and I was looking for something fairly recent. I understand all the pitfalls and insurance issues as I have rented previously in Mexico. Thanks for the feedback, it has helped me make a decision.
Old Nov 7th, 2014, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check The New York Times travel section for an article about a police shakedown the author experienced on this route.
Old Nov 8th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the heads up logandog. We had a similar experience a few years ago and were shaken down but only for $40 US. Things are getting expensive in Mexico! I've actually thought about getting a duplicate license specifically for that purpose. We almost always rent a car when we travel, and the few times we haven't and took taxis it just wasn't the same as having your own car to go when and where you want. Really turns you off about going to Mexico.