Asheville NC without a car

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2014, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We hope to be staying in Asheville in October arriving by Greyhound from Knoxville & going on to Charleston. We are thinking of staying at the Indigo rather than B&Bs further away from Dowtown.I have looked at the questions re hotels on the forum but nobody has mentioned the Indigo! Is in in an OK area and easily walkable to main attractions? It looks to be from the website.
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 09:14 AM

Downtown is where the fun is! I haven't stayed at the Indigo but my in-laws did and really liked it. There are all kinds of people in downtown Asheville, so I would say to just use regular precautions. The Biltmore House is not walkable if you are interested in that but lots of other things are. I will recommend Curate as a great place to eat. There is a lot written about restaurants and bars so I won't repeat. We are going back this weekend to eat at Curate again.
Without really knowing what you like to do it is hard to make more recommendations. Have fun!
Old Mar 1st, 2014, 04:34 PM

It is an easy city to walk in and the Indigo is very near the center. Trying walking on Wall Street, it has a couple of nice restaurants. The Early Girl restaurant is our favorite but there are many many to choose from within easy walking distance.
Old Mar 24th, 2014, 11:51 AM

We live in Franklin and drive to Asheville to spend the night for some of the events there. We've stayed at the Indigo a few times and really like it. Very convenient to walk around Asheville. The trolley tour is really good. Enjoy.
Old Mar 24th, 2014, 11:58 AM

I was in Asheville in August and noticed an Aloft had opened downtown (on Biltmore Ave., just across from City Bakery.) I think this would be a great location!
Old Mar 25th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

So many helpful replies-thank you very much.
I think that we'll like the Indigo and have already had helpful advice from ther concierge there.She will book a taxi to meet us at the Greyhound Station!Very kind.
Roll on October!
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 02:36 PM

The Indigo, at the north edge of Downtown near Montford, and new Aloft on Biltmore Avenue are very handy for Downtown, but the recently renovated Haywood Park Suites is even more central. There are also a couple of new hotels under construction Downtown, including a Hyatt, but they won't be open by the time of your trip. I would avoid the Sheraton and probably wouldn't choose the Marriott Renaissance.

Some of the B&Bs in Montford and North Asheville are within walking distance, but you have to look at the location carefully as some are a mile or more away from Downtown.

The bus station is on Tunnel Road, just east of Downtown and about a block from Beaucatcher Tunnel. Taxi to any of the Downtown hotels shouldn't be very much. It's maybe 2 miles.

My daughter took the bus from Durham to Asheville one time this summer. It was an experience for her, but not one that she would repeat.

--Lan Sluder
co-author, Fodor's Carolinas & Georgia
author, Amazing Asheville Guide to Asheville & the Beautiful NC Mountains
and a dozen other guidebooks to the Southeast U.S. and Central America