Tipping in Italy

Search

Tipping in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tipping in Italy

Just back from Italy, and I am really confused about tipping. We had several different explanations of "service included". Can someone out there give me the lowdown on tipping, should you or not, and if so, any guidelines for the amount...thanks for your help
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 07:04 PM

If you put the title of your question in the search box, you'll get a lot of explanations. The funniest one I ever heard was early in my Italy experiences, when I asked a waiter, "Is service included?"

He replied, "Not for you."

Old Jul 15th, 2007, 07:10 PM

That's too funny, tuscanlifeedit! I hope you didn't leave much!
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 07:20 PM

StCirq: isn't it a hoot?

I think that was the turning point for me, but it took DH a few more meals before he realized that the tipping situation was different than it is at home. I think he may have tipped that waiter purely for the guy's audacity.
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the "tips", lots of good info. Our last night in Rome, we ate at a nice place we had been to before. Our waiter was great, food great...there was an American next to us, he ate by himself and then asks us if he should tip. We said that 2 nights earlier we ate there and the owner said "service included, no tip necessary", so he leaves and did not tip. Our nice waiter curses when the guy leaves, and walks by our table and says under his breath (so we could hear)..."SERVICE NOT INCLUDED". Fearing the worst, we left him E3.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 01:24 AM

As I have been traveling to Italy almost every summer for a number of years now, I can say that the situation has changed fairly dramatically. This year, more and more we were met by waiters who put the bill down and clearly said "service is NOT included". I think they have learned that tips are nice and if you are American they can milk a full tip out of you.

Last summer in Venice next to La Fenice, we ate at a place where the menu and bill clearly said Service 12 percent included. But when the waiter put down the bill he would say, "that is service and does not include the tip. The NORMAL is 10 to 15%". I actually saw him chase one man down the street and yell because he left nothing extra. When I pulled out a credit card he demanded to know the amount of the tip so he could add it to the card before taking the card. I told him we'd tip in cash, and left him a few small coins -- less than I would have left normally -- (then disappeared quickly). This year, we passed that place often and my anger still rises every time I go by there.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 01:42 AM

No tipping in restaurants in Italy.

Unfortunately in the high tourist areas/cities, they will expect Americans to tip, and try to pressure them into leaving a tip.

Italians generally do not tip in restaurants in Italy.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 01:42 AM

So far, this is thoroughly confusing! I've always assumed it was included and left extra for service above-and-beyond. Now I'm not sure.

Perhaps it would be best to ask the hotel or apartment manager about local customs in each region?
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 01:47 AM

Maybe you're not following this discussion, but I thought it was pretty clear. Tipping is not required nor normally expected in Italy. If you are a foreign tourist, particularly American they may expect you to tip, but it is purely up to you. If you find they have been exceptionally nice and helpful at a restaurant leaving a small tip is nice -- 5% or less!
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 04:09 AM

You're right. I mis-read it. I read the comments to say: if "service included" is not written on your bill then you are expected to tip.

I take it now it doesn't matter whether it's written on your bill or not. I should continue to assume service IS included and tip at my option.

Old Jul 16th, 2007, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Now to really confuse things...we started looking at the menus closely, one place clearly stated "service not included", so we tipped. It was a nice place so we gave 5%.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 06:23 AM

It would be interesting to see if "service not included" was written in Italian on the Italian language menus. I bet not. By law, a service charge is included on all meals in Italy, whether it is written on the bill or not. This built in service charge goes to the owner of the restaurant, who in turn, is paying the waitstaff a living wage. If you want to leave some spare change for great service, that will go directly to the waiter but it isn't required, no matter what they tell you. Restaurants that have menus printed in English or any other language are obviously familiar with tourists and their tipping habits so they have figured out a way to get additional tips. I have never seen "serviso non incluso" written on any Italian menu.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 06:33 AM

I have; at Ai Gondolieri in Venice.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 06:34 AM

Aha!

So, if it's printed on the American menu, I'll ask for an Italian menu to see if it's there!
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 07:23 AM

What is it with Venice???

My husband and I have eaten in restaurants all over Italy, and the ones in Venice seem the worst at trying to get tip money out of customers. I already wrote this on another thread: my husband was thoroughly ticked at one restaurant we dined at in Venice where they charged both a cover/coperto AND a service charge. We are used to paying a cover as it is the norm all over Italy. But as someone else said, service charges are supposed to be built into the price of the food. Only in Venice have we seen both a cover and a service charges added onto the bill. And they will have the nerve to tell Americans that tip is not included!

Of course when we eat in Florence (which is kind of often since we live close to it), we hear the waiters telling the American tourists that service or tip is not included in the bill. They don't say this to us because my husband is Italian and they already know darn well that they will not be getting any sort of tip as it is not the custom of Italians in Italy. At least in Florence, I haven't come across any restaurants charging both a cover AND a service charge like Venice does! In fact, no where else in Italy...only Venice!