Dressing for Paris/London in Late April/Early May

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2006, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to Paris, London, and probably Scotland from April 27-May 11. Most of our outings will be to museums and the tourist spots, with some excursions to more rural areas. Are jeans and sweaters okay, or should we dress more elegantly and warmly (ie: slacks, big warm coats, heels) for museums, cathedrals, regular restaurants, etc? Any input on wardrobe would be appreciated, as we don't want to overpack.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 04:23 PM

A few years back we were in Paris during the same time period. We wore jeans and respectable sweaters, etc and a light jacket. It was in the high 50's and 60's. An umbrella is a must. This is their rainy season. Although it rained every day, it was only for a short period in the morning or afternoon. Just long enough to take a break and have a glass of wine or tea.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 05:09 PM

Don;t like jeans - too heavy , can;t wash and dry. And if you take sweaters take a choice - it may be cool or it may be warm. Take something lighter than a sweater too. Make sure you have waterproof shoes and a good umbie.

If you plan on going out to somewhere nice for diner you should have at least some business casual with you.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 06:20 AM
GoTravel

I like to take black microfiber pants because; black doesn't show dirt, it can be dressed up or dressed down, and black matches everything.

I leave the jeans at home, they take up too much space.

Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 08:35 AM

I'd definitely bring a trench-type coat so you can wear a turtleneck or light sweater underneath while walking around. My husband brought a blazer and wore a sweater underneath it.

Shoes - use whatever you can walk in for a long period of time. I bring loafers that will go with the rest of my traveling clothes. Also, we always buy Scholls inserts for our shoes to give us more cushioning because of all the walking around we did. We avoid traveling in sneakers b/c they take up a lot of room in the suitcase. Good luck!!
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you live in jeans at home, I guess they are OK. I prefer other types of pants/slacks because you can pack 2 pair in the space 1 pair of jeans takes up in the suitcase.

Make sure you have at least 2 pair of comfortable shoes/boots to switch between. I would never travel with "heels" unless they are low and sturdy ones. You never know when you might unexpectedly end up walking a long distance.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

thank you all so much for the input!
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 05:59 PM

I always take a combo of black jeans and black chinos and black dress pants. Everything will go with any of these, from turtlenecks to silk tops wrapped with a beautiful shawl or jacket. For the most part, if your bottom is black- it just blends into the backgroud. Take washable and comfortable as your first priorities. The rest will dress you up, sometimes with one colorful scarf or piece. And the bottom line- no one else really cares except you anyway.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 09:31 PM
DiG

Hi europediana:

We'll be in France the beginning of May to visit Normandy & Paris. Normandy weather portion comparable to your London/Scotland portion.

Packing list to date:

black slip on waterproof walking shoes,
*Use to wear laced stlye but with
security and taking off shoes during ON
flight changed to slip on.

black maryjane style leather low pump or other similar dressier stlye for some evenings

3/4 length black waterproof rainjacket with detachable hood & liner,

reversible cotton tweed/felt hat with lightweight fleece scarf & gloves,

umbrella

black microfiber blazer

lightweight cotton cardigan sweater set

silk cashmere black cardigan sweater

black jeans of mixed blend fabric

microfiber black slacks

dress gray/black slacks in mixed fabric

cotton microfiber black skirt length to knee

Lightweight black silk LS Tneck top & capri length bottoms

LS Blouse
1-2 LS pullover top

3 SL tops
2 camis

pantyhose
2 lightweight cotton socks
2 medium weight cotton socks

lingerie

neck scarf
parshana
costume jewelry

silk bathrobe & pj's with comfy fleece socks

Everything travels well, is comfortable, washable or drop at launderette, dresses up or down, mixes and matches all together.

All shoes are broken in well before I leave.

I use a carryon, 9" x 21" x 14" wheeled bag and a boarding tote bag.