Reload this Page >

San Diego to SF or LA to Mendocino?

Search

San Diego to SF or LA to Mendocino?

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2005, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now that we have decided to drive from North to South on the coast, how far can we travel on Hwy 1 from Mendocino in one day? Could we go to Carmel and stop over there? Just don't know where is a good stop for overnight that we don't have to rush to get there. Thanks.
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:49 PM

Hi, ladynole!

Sorry, been away on a trip to LA for several days.

It really depends. How are you getting up to Mendocino, first of all? What stops along the way?

You COULD get to Carmel from Mendocino in one day, but that would be pushing it. I'd make Mendocino to Carmel two days. It really all depends on what you have seen and what you want to see.

Maybe if you have a tentative plan, we can comment more in detail.
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Easytraveler,

I took your advice and decided to fly into SF and spend at least 2 days there. Then rent a car and drive thru the wine country. We could spend the night there or drive on up to Mendocino. You could advise me on that being that you know the roads etc. We are really doing the most stuff while in SF. We won't be doing Hearst Castle or the Monterey Aq. It is really a trip to just see the coastline and enjoy time together. Stop along the way wherever we see fit. I just knew that someone could tell me how far to go when we leave Mendocino. Thanks.
Old May 17th, 2005, 11:01 PM

Hi, ladynole!

I'd suggest that when you leave SF, you spend one night in the Sonoma wine country. Next morning drive up to Mendocino, maybe as far as Crescent City or thereabouts and spend the night there. Drive back down the next day and that third night after SF spend it along the coast, like maybe Jenner or inland near Pt Reyes (there are some wonderful B&Bs near Pt Reyes Park). On the fourth day you can get to Carmel.

If you space your days in this way, you will have a more relaxing time to enjoy the coast.

If you like hiking and will be doing a lot of hiking in the redwoods up in Mendocino or along the coast at Pt Reyes, I'd suggest adding one more day to this portion of your trip.

Tomorrow's my last day home, then I'm on the road for two weeks. When you have a tentative itinerary, I'd suggest posting a new threadquot;Please critque my xxxxx" and you'll have a lot of input from other Fodorites, especially those who can answer specific questions in depth.

Good luck on your planning! Been fun putting myself in your shoes!
Old May 29th, 2005, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

I have a few questions about our trip if you could help me. First, a travel book that I am reading says to drive the coast south to north because the coastline unfolds toward the west and you see it better. What would yall suggest? I know many say N to S. (esp. easytraveler-and she seems very knowledgeable) Second, the drive from Mendo to Sf (or reverse) is it best to go Hwy 1 down near Pt. Reyes or inland? Third, is Big Sur something that we could drive in a day and enjoy or should we spend the night. Thanks for all the help.
Old May 31st, 2005, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

I have definitely decided to drive the coast from N to S but I really can't decide about Mendocino or San Diego. I have read every post I can find about Mendo and I just can't decide. Would Big Sur give us the same rocky coast and beautiful scenery that driving to Mendo would? I think that seeing SD is something that I shouldn't pass up. HELP me decide, please. I have everything else inbetween worked out. Just can't decide between these 2 towns. Thanks.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 09:55 AM

I do think that 2 weeks should be sufficient time for you; I have gone from San Diego to San Francisco and back in ten days, twice. Just returned from the second trip yesterday. As far as flying into SD goes: SD is a nice city, but very big. La Jolla is a pretty area to see, as are downtown/Old Town/etc. However, after La Jolla, driving up the PCH, you will drive through many towns that, while pretty, are rather similar (Encinitas, Del Mar, Leucadia, etc.) After Oceanside, you can choose to get on the 5 freeway to drive north towards LA, or you can drive up the coast highway. It's much faster to drive up the 5, but not as scenic. If you drive up the coast highway you will go through Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, Long Beach, Manhattan Beach, etc. The PCH through many of these places is very similar; a lot of businesses and all (and you can drive down to look at the beach). A little ritzier in places like Laguna and Newport. Once you get through LA to Malibu, the PCH gets a bit more scenic; the mountains are closer to the ocean. I believe easytraveler mentioned the rock at Morro Bay. Definitely see that at sunset. Beautiful. Santa Barbara is lovely. Drive up the PCH through Big Sur. Drive into Monterey. You can drive up the 17 Mile Drive by Pebble Beach and into Monterey, though it will cost $8.50. There are alternate routes and you can still see things that are just as pretty. Santa Cruz is one of my favorite places in CA. It's one of the most laid-back and pretty places I've been to. I love the houses there. The views of the water from the cliffs are gorgeous. I love seeing (and surfing with) the sea otters in the kelp beds.

While I have always loved San Diego, I think for the sort of trip you are looking for, it would probably be better for you to fly to LA and drive up. But if you do fly into SD, stop at Juanita's Mexican restaurant on the PCH in Encinitas. They have the BEST Mexican food. Yum .
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 09:59 AM

Oh, one other thing...you mentioned Big Sur. In my experience, it has taken longer to drive through Big Sur going N than S (though it's scarier S because you are on the water side, ha ha.) Going south it took at least two hours, maybe more, and north it was far more than that. I know there is at least one state park there (I think the Big Sur Lodge is there as well) where you can stay/camp/etc. It is really lovely there. There are also quite a few vista points along the drive. Just driving through Big Sur itself is breathtaking, but if you want to hike at all, or stop several times to look at the views/take pictures, it could make your trip quite long and you might want to stay over a night.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the help. I am reading as many post as I can and getting all the info I can so I can decide. I love planning for a trip. That is part of the fun. Thanks again.