Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Why don't more people visit Aberdare National Park?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious. And it sounds as if many who do visit only spend a night at one of the 'tree hotels' without actually seeing much of the park at all. Has anyone taken a day or half a day just to explore the park itself? Was it worthwhile? I understand it's a bit difficult to see the game due to the forested environment but it seems that the landscape would be quite stunning and a complete contrast to most other parks in Kenya.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 01:01 PM
sandi

Patty -

You're absolutely correct in that the environment is beautiful, and forested in the Aberdares. Lots of colubus monkeys can be found in the trees, but you have to look hard to find them - you can certainly hear them. And there is other game to be sighted driving to/from the tree hotels.

Of course, one can choose to spend a day at one of the country clubs in the Aberdares, enjoy the atmosphere (versus lodges/camps), go horseback riding, play tennis, golf, even venture further for game viewing. But since most people specifically stop in the Aberdares to visit one of the tree hotels and the animals that come to the salt-licks at night... that's all the time they have. Remember, to most visitors, they expect this trip to be their one and only time in Kenya, so they try to get in as much as possible in the time they have.

Like the Aberdares, there are other stops that are certainly worthwhile - more in the Lakes area, Tsavo, Laikipia, Northern Territories, Mombasa, etc., but first (only)-time itineraries rarely include these, nor do visitors necessarily want to visit off-the-beaten-path places. The initial interests are those names/places they've read about in brochures, seen on websites or on TV; that's what they ask for and where they go.

However, like you and other visitors planning return visits, do these hidden (less known/advertized) places become considerations.

Hey, I've been to France any number of times, but have yet to visit Paris. Likewise, have visited the UK and haven't stayed in London. Sure I've been thru these airports - too many times to count, but my choices have been to other destinations in these countries... I often do things in the reverse. Meanwhile, there are others who wouldn't think "not" to visit these particular cities.

It's a big world out there, with lots of choices, all the more reason to return again and again, regardless the destination. We just have to keep traveling and discovering those places that lift the spirits and stir the soul.

Old Apr 16th, 2005, 05:02 PM

Patty,

You're right about the contrast this region offers to the rest of most safaris. I saw my first colobus monkey here and have been a fan of them ever since.

I think there is also a chance of seeing the elusive bongo in this region.

I would like to visit Sangare, near Aberdare National Park, which does night walks--something I've never done in Africa.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 09:35 AM

I have reservations at Nature's Wonderland Safaris tented camp at Sangare in June 2008, where they have day and night safaris.

Has anyone had any experience with this company or stayed there?

Thanks
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

I haven't stayed at Sangare but did visit the camp in Feb. It has a nice lakeside setting (good for birding) and is close to both Aberdare NP and Solio if you want to do game drives there too (day time only). As well, you can do day/night game drives on the ranch. I've gone on horseback rides on the ranch and it's very picturesque. The camp was rebuilt last summer.

I have some pics of the camp in this album (it's a big album, specifically the pics of Sangare are #343-460) http://www.kodakgallery.com/Help.jsp...localeid=en_US

And since this thread was topped, I'll add that I've included the Aberdares on two trips to Kenya since I first posted this and find it a fascinating environment. We saw a giant forest hog one trip and two black rhino on another and on most drives we've seen colobus and Syke monkeys, elephants, warthog, buffalo, and bushbuck. W've stayed outside the park and gone on game drives during the day except for one unofficial night drive when we got stuck
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, wrong link above http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...localeid=en_US
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 04:38 PM

Giant! Forest!! Hog!!!

Marcia Smith, I'll be very interested in your experience. How many nights for you?
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 10:20 PM

I was wondering what you were doing Patty - then saw the date of the original post. Can I answer it now?

Aberdare NP is another world - especially on the high plateau and the road going up there. We had poor weather while we were there and it was still beautiful.

You never know what you are going to see in the Aberdares, and it is rarely ever what you expect where you expected it. Seeing a group of elephants disappearing into the long grass as they climb a hill that seriously wouldn't look out of place in northern Scotland (except for the giant grasses and flowers) is a great experience.

Take your woolies - high up it's cold even at midday if the sun isn't out.

Walking is allowed in the Aberdare NP so long as you are high enough, and take a ranger with you, and the ranger "fancies it" - ours seemed a little unfit and tried to put us off getting too adventurous ... but I'm sure they have keener hikers on staff too.

Giant forest hogs, melanistic leopard and serval, rhino and striped hyena regularly sighted Lynn - among other treats... but of course, no guarantees, so it's not everyone's cup of tea. Sightings of the bongo are apparently very rare indeed - The ranger who took us walking had never seen one.

We stayed half way up to the plateau, within the park, Marcia, and did not go to Sangare because it appeared to be "between managers/owners" at that time.

Old Apr 29th, 2008, 04:43 AM

Yeah, I did Treetops for one day & so I was left with a pretty BLAH feeling about Aberdare.

Now I wish I could have had a day or two more to experience it. Though I admit if someone were to send me to Kenya for free right now I probably would not go there.
Old May 12th, 2008, 12:50 PM

Kimburu,

Thanks for all your information.

We are really looking forward to the Sangare tented camp and a game drive into the Aberdare's National park. We are only going to be there for 2 days as we are doing other traveling.

I'll let everyone know after our return June 17.

Marcia
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 07:39 AM

Patty,

We just returned from our trip to Kenya. We stated at the Sangare Tented Camp near Aberdares National Park and took a day trip there. It was great - You could easily spend 2 days there - doing the upper part of the Park where there are beautiful waterfalls as well as rhinos and some other animals, 1 day and the lower part of the Park, where there is a greater variety of animals, 1 day.

We just had 1 day there, so we stayed in the lower part of the Park, viewing more of the wildlife. We saw a large herd of elephants which came down a hill and crossed the road in front of us. We also saw a large number of wart hogs, bush buck, baboons, impala, cape buffalo, more birds than I can identify, and more.

I would also like to post my experience at the Sangare Tented Camp, which was about 3 hours from Nairobi via a good road and just 30 minutes from the Aberdares National Park.

First, I would highly recommend Joseph Mwangi at Nature's Wonderland Safaris - www.natureswonderlandsafaris.com for booking this Camp or for any of your travel needs. Joseph's cell is 254-722-987544 or 254-735-734788 (in Nairobi). He was always very easy to reach and very helpful. I would trust him with any of my travel needs in Kenya. When we had a dispute with the manager of the Sangare Tented Camp over charges we did not believe we should pay for a night game drive that we cancelled, Joseph paid us the refund from his own pocket when the manager refused.

With regard to the Sangare Tented Camp itself - sangaretentedcamp.com - the accomodations were excellent, the food was excellent, the staff was excellent, and it is a good place to stay if you're going to the Aberdares National Park. The manager was not helpful, however, and I would not recommend the night game drive or the walking game drive, which cost extra,because Sangare is a working ranch and we mostly saw cows and chickens on the night game drive The staff said they had only seen 2 leopards in 5 years and needless to say, we did not see one. The morning game drive is free, as it is included in the tent fee, and it is worthwhile, because you will see some giraffe,zebra, impala, elephants, wart hogs, hyenas if you're lucky, and lots of birds, as these are all found on the ranch.

The bad experience of the stay was with the manager who did not want to refund the $200 we spent for 5 night game drives (@ $40 each) that we cancelled. After the first night of seeing mostly chickens and cows, we did not want to pay for a second night game drive. The manager set off our drink fees and other charges, which were $140, but refused to refund the reamining $60. Joseph Mwangi with Natures Wonderland Safaris, through whom we had booked the Sangare Tented Camp, however, met us in Nairobi at our hotel, upon our return, and personally refunded the $60.

He also met us at our hotel, the Fairview Hotel, in Nairobi, the night before we left for the Sangare Tented Camp, and gave us excellent directions to drive there (we had rented a vehicle).

Therefore, I highly recommend him as a travel agent in Nairobi.

Marcia Smith
Corbin, KY
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 09:43 AM

Thanks for your account, Marcia. I had wondered about the night time walk and drive. Glad you enjoyed the daytime drives.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Hi Marcia,
I'm so glad you enjoyed your day at Aberdare NP! As far as night drives, in my experience they have a tendency to be hit or miss, but I always enjoy the opportunity to go out at night. I don't know the situation at Sangare, but I've gone on night drives on other working ranches and seen lots of game, so it may just come down to luck. Thanks for posting an update!
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 02:50 PM

Hey Marcia, what's wrong you don't like driving around to see chickens?

Old Jun 24th, 2008, 11:19 PM

The Aberdares is one of my absolute favorite parks in Kenya...it's so beautiful and has an atmosphere all of its own...

One of the best ways to see game is to park up on the edge of one of the forest glades (so pretty with the dappled sunlight coming through onto the bright green grass) and wait quietly to see what comes out into the clearing...it's amazing how many animals you can see by just sitting quietly and letting the wildlife come to you...

Tanya
http://www.wildernessdiary.com