Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What sort of handbag and ID do you carry in Italy?

Search

What sort of handbag and ID do you carry in Italy?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2018, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Annhig, that's really cute. I actually used a Kipling bag for my Spain trip, but discovered it too big and started to get unwieldy. I also like bags with enough compartments, and it has to be wide enough stash a light wrap. Personally, I also prefer bags that look like handbags and not tourist bags either. I might look into your bag since it seems smaller than my current one.
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 10:40 AM

I used a PacSafe backpack and was very happy with it. The security zippers claim to be more secure but I assumed they weren't. When I felt I needed to be cagey with it, I pulled it across under my arm.

What I liked most though was knowing the fabric was slash proof. For my small frame (I'm 5'1"), it was a good size and yet for a little backpack held A LOT (Pashima scarf, gloves, beanie hat, sometimes extra flats, plus a small wallet, lipstick, hand cream, sanitizer and waterbottle). It's also neutral enough to be used at home, to ballgames or shopping when I want to be more hands-free.

I also use a (hidden) money belt around my waist for my passport and bigger bills. I agree with above posters to NEVER access your money belt in public. I've also read about neck pouches being ripped off, so more reason to keep a belt hidden and unknown.
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 01:54 PM

You really don't need a slash-proof bag in Italy. I've never heard of anyone having a bag slashed. I've heard of people having their bags ripped from the shoulders, but never in Rome or points north, and it's very rare in any part of Italy. The biggest risk is from pickpockets, and they are fairly common in any European city that has a lot of tourists.

Your behaviour is really more important that how or where you carry your valuables. In general, try not to look rich. When traveling, I leave the designer bags at home and don't wear jewelry. I wear neat classic clothing that doesn't stand out in a crowd.

Wherever you keep your money and credit cards, keep it a secret. I usually carry small amounts of money, bus tickets, etc., in a pocket or loose in my bag. There are pickpockets who work in teams; one notices where you've put your wallet away and sends a hand signal to his accomplice who relieves you of it. This is a trick often used at a metro station. You pull out your wallet to buy a ticket. A crook near the ticket machine signals to his buddy standing on the platform. When the train comes, there's a bit of shoving and confusion, and when you get on the train, you realize your wallet has disappeared. If you buy your ticket with some loose change in your pocket, this is less likely to happen. For the same reason, once you've reached the platform, walk down the track a good distance. The cars will usually be less crowded there, and the pickpocket teams tend to work near the turnstiles. I've read that another trick is for one person to call out, "Thief!!". This makes everyone automatically reach for their wallet to see if it's still there, so now the thief knows where it is.

I never carry a wallet, even at home. I have several little zippered pouches, holding different things, and also a tiny billfold and a coin purse. One pouch has id cards, health card, driver's license, etc. One has credit cards, etc. One has store loyalty cards, etc. Most of my money is just lying loose in the bottom of my bag, very hard to steal. And, of course, a small amount of money and any tickets or passes are in my jacket pocket, or in an outer pocket of my bag, so I don't need to open the bag at all.

When getting on or off a bus or metro car, let the pushers and shovers go ahead of you. Once you're on board, move as far away from the doors as possible. Pickpockets like to stay near the doors, to make a quick getaway if necessary. Some bus lines have a reputation among tourists as "pickpocket express" buses. This is pretty much an urban legend. Pickpockets work any and all crowded places. Why would they stick to one particular line? The highest number of robberies takes place in the metro system, but there are even thieves in churches, and at the Vatican.

In any crowded place, keep your belongings well under the gaze of your eagle eye, and keep one arm around any bag. If you have a backpack, hang it on one shoulder and pull it around to the front.

Don't keep valuables in any pocket, or in a backpack. I often hear men say, "I keep my wallet in my front pocket, and keep my hand on it." First of all, that hand always in the pocket is telling the thieves where yoru wallet is. If one crook startles you or gives you a little push, your hand will automatically raise to help you keep your balance. His buddy will take care of the wallet extraction, and you'll never feel a thing. Pickpockets are highly trained to remove things without you feeling as much as a twinge. The son of a friend of mine had a wallet stolen from his front pocket. He was wearing tight jeans and couldn't believe someone had been able to remove the wallet without his feeling a thing.

Don't let anyone distract you in crowded places. Make sure your family and friends know that you all need to keep your eyes open and save the chatting for when you're not in a pack of fellow tourists. If a stranger tells you there's bird poop on your shoulder, say, "That's all right." Or if someone squirts catsup on you, and a sympathetic stranger offers to help you clean it up, say, "Thanks, I'll take care of it myself." (I would start out polite, because there are really many helpful strangers in this world. If you can't get the helpful stranger to leave you alone, then you can start to raise your voice.

Finally, Italy has nowhere near the highest rate of petty crime in Europe. As I said above, I've been going to Rome frequently for over 20 years and have never had a single thing stolen. I've had a few attempted ripoffs in restaurants and taxicabs, though. Here's another tip: Pay the taxi driver in small bills, tens or fives. I've heard of taxi drivers claiming the 50 you gave them was a 10, or that the 20 you paid with was a 5. The colors of these denominations are similar. I've never heard of anyone claiming you gave him a 50 instead of a 10, though. If you have no small bills, hand over the 50 slowly and deliberately, saying, "50 euros" and waiting for acknowledgement.
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 03:23 PM

Excellent advice from bvlenci.

What works for me is to cut off the belt straps from a money belt, then sew it into the jacket lining. Since I travel in spring, I’m always wearing the jacket when I leave my accommodations. One pocket holds passport and a couple envelopes of currency, the other holds plastic.The only problem might be if you’re prone to leaving your jacket somewhere. Just don’t take it off, other than in a restaurant, where you sit on it rather than drape it over the back of the chair, and you’ll be fine.
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 03:33 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree about the likelihood of a person losing or misplacing their items being more likely than having them stolen. That's why I think using a purse/pocketbook that you use at home works best. It is what you are familiar with and used to. The last thing I'd want is a new special-for-travel bag with a bunch of zippers and pockets where I'd have to relearn where I put everything!!
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 03:50 PM

I have a pacsafe, and like my everyday purse, it’s a crossbody. Whether or not slashing is a real concern, I don’t know- it did happen to my grandmother in Paris in the 90s, so it’s something relatives bring up. (Grandma was less upset about her lost cash and more upset about the inconsiderate thief that damaged her favorite bag). I’m less worried about that though and more worried about a purse ripping. I carried cloth purses a lot in college and they can can develop holes. The pacsafe is nearly indestructible and much lighter than my leather purse.

I’ve decided shape, size, and color is the most important thing- I don’t like a larger crossbody purse, or one that stains easily, or one that looks expensive. So I bought the pacsafe mostly because it held everything that it needed to, and could be easily defended in crowded situations- it’s small and flat enough that I can zip my coat up over it if I’m out late and a little nervous. I think it’s ugly but I wouldn’t want to lose my nice leather one while traveling anyway.