Search

Best Way to Carry Passport/Money/CC in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Way to Carry Passport/Money/CC in Italy

What do you think worked best for you?

Looking into maybe the wallets you hang around your neck?

Where can I purchase such things?

Excuse me for being maybe naive...but am i right in saying that your passport should always be on you....

thanks so much!
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 07:08 AM

I carry a purse, same as I do when at home or traveling anywhere else.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 07:15 AM

There are many discussions on this topic on this board, but I always use a money belt of one sort or another under my clothes with the things in it that would cause a serious problem to lose -- passport, credit and debit cards, large amounts of cash (if I'm carrying cash).

To me a purse is just too easy to set down and leave and/or be taken off your body. I DO carry a purse, but only for small amounts of money and tissues, maps, etc.

You can buy different types of money belts at travel stores, even places like Wal-mart or K-Mart (I think) and also all the travel websites -- Rick Steves, etc.

Just be sure that you are wearing it under your clothing and you don't whip it out in public for everyone to see. You have to plan ahead as to when you might be needing the different items you have in it.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 07:30 AM
LJ

Pockets, deep, tight, pockets. Less is more secure. I can't think of a reason why your passport should ALWAYS be "on you", but if you are uncertain about the hotel safe arrangements, then one of those slim linen envelopes on a string under your T, works just fine.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 08:59 AM

Last time we were in Italy I just carried a travel purse. It was small (just enough for sun glasses and camera)and had pocket all over. I carried it across my body and it was small enough that I could comfortable sit without taking it off. If we had books with us, I had a tote to carry over my shoulder for other things. I never had a problem. My husband kept his wallet in his front pockets (which were all pretty deep). Only one did we have a problem and that was in Florence. My husband had taken out his wallet to pay in the pharmacy and after he put it back it he felt someone reach in. It was too deep for them to reach and he noticed immediately.

Basically, you need to go with what you are comfortable with. I had a little silk purse to wear under my shirt, but I didn't like the way it felt, so I didn't use it.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 09:00 AM

Forgot to mention....it also held my passport in a pocket next to my body and had pockets for credit cards and money.