Reload this Page >

Best town, lodging and dining recs in Rioja for big foodies

Search

Best town, lodging and dining recs in Rioja for big foodies

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2016, 08:22 PM
kja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, TJinSOMA, I don't think I deserved that, and even more, regret that you think I did! Since you didn't acknowledge the detailed comments on Laguardia that I took the time to provide, specifically in response to YOUR request for further information, I didn't know if you saw them. Believe it or not, it can be easy to miss a response, and if you had seen it, then you could easily have said, "does anyone ELSE have favorite restaurants, etc."

And yes, if I disagree with someone, I think it is appropriate to say so and why so that future travelers -- like you -- have the chance to hear different opinions.

Finally, while my days were full -- perhaps even as full as those you are proposing? -- I DID spend time lingering over dinner in two different restaurants in Laguardia, and didn't think my opinion irrelevant. Obviously, I was mistaken, and sincerely apologize for responding to your questions as honestly and fully as I could.

Good luck to you, TJinSOMA.
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 02:54 AM

TJinSoma, you wrote:

"One or two winery tours and Logrono pintxos crawl for lunch (with a driver)"

1 comment:

Most of the pintxos places open only in the evening. That's when you crawl - not for lunch.
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. KJA - tried to delete my comment after posting as having a bad overall work day so snippier than usual. Recognize you've given great intel and I did write it all down in my file.

I do get a little frustrated in that you've provided thoughts which were great but would like to hear from others that may not have replied yet. Recognize this is a long post for only two days but it's an area that's not as written about as Tuscany so I value individual opinions more than usual as we want to hit the secret/small finds given our foodie nature. Again sorry for the snippy tone as this is a great forum for travelers and hate when the topics get off track into non-travel drama (like I did here).
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 04:04 PM
kja

I hope today was better for you.
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 10:26 AM

Doing justice to the Rioja in two days is difficult. We've been coming for over 15 years now and still find something new and interesting with every visit.

We had lunch today at La Bodega de Rivas in Rivas de Tereso, up the road from Haro, where we had a tasting of several great wines at Bodegas Gómez Cruzado and stopped by the Roda wine bar for some of their best from the Ribera.

La Bodega de Rivas opened late 2013, but chef Raúl Muñiz's restaurant is already listed in the Michelin Guide and and recommended by Guide Repsol.
https://www.facebook.com/La-Bodega-d...7850045770811/

Bodegas Gómez Cruzad is open on Sunday and offers visits in English (www.gomezcruzado.com). Their PANCRUDO is excellent! And goes for only 32€/bottle at the winery. Roda also offers an great selection of premium wines in its wine bar.
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Some great options. Thanks Robert. Guess we'll have to eat five meals a day!!
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Ssteve - saw your note on Pintxos bars mainly open in the evening. We just aren't going to be able to spend an evening there since we're staying in Laguardia. Any idea how the scene is during the afternoon as when I researched it did seem as if they were open from around 1pm to 3pm. Don't want to make the trek if only a couple are going to be open but we thought we could at least experience it even if during the day. Thanks
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 08:09 PM

Some Pintxos bars are indeed open in the afternoon, but most open only in the evening. The craziness of the evening is unique. Just the same, Logrono is still a nice town to visit, even in the afternoon.

In Laguardia, there are a few tiny pintxos bars, located in a couple of tiny squares. It's not Logrono for sure, but they were fun to visit for an evening snack. They were simple, and authentic.
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 12:04 PM

The idea of haute cuisine at a pintxos bar actually doesn't exist in Laguardia. Everything is very traditional. For haute cuisine in Laguardia you have to reserve a table at Amelibia (www.restauranteamelibia.com).
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Robert. I think I may have given off the wrong impression. I'm a lot more interested in traditional food in Rioja. We always regret when we do anything too fancy on vacation (e.g. the Osteria Francescana experience in Modena in December) as we like simple food with great ingredients. Similarly on lodging choice, I don't need the Four Seasons, I just want a comfortable bed and good linens and hopefully decor that doesn't look like it came from Kmart.
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 12:32 PM

We had lunch today at Taberna Herrerías in Logroño (www.tabernaherrerias.es). Very traditional, upscale, with prices to match. No menú de día here.

It's not one we would have found on our own. It was recommended by our contact at Bodegas Marqués de Murrieta.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 08:24 AM

How did the trip go? We’re thinking of staying in Laguardia for a few nights in May and I agree completely about not wanting fancy food. Did you find a hotela nd restaurants that you liked? Thanks so much! Hope you were safe in the fires. I live in Santa’s Barbara and it’s is has been a terrible month.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 09:15 AM

Some notes: Rioja wine region is divided into three, Rioja Alta, Rioja Baja and Rioja Alavesa. The first two are in the Rioja autonomous region (part of Rioja Baja is also in Navarre) and Rioja Alavesa is in the Basque Country. Haro is in Rioja Alta and Laguardia is Basque Rioja (Rioja Alavesa). Haro is a small, but lively town, with several bodegas in the Barrio de la Estación, worth visiting. Visits take normally around 1.5 hours, but it´s becoming trendy to have just "wine bars", something that I don´t really understand as a local as there are so many bars where you can have wine at half the price (a glass of wine in a bar is around 1.5-2eur). Laguardia is a small, quaint town in the heart of Rioja Alavesa ,surrounded by wineries and very, very medieval. You´ll need a car to move around, practically in all Rioja. There are plenty of wineries (over 300), many of them family run ones, but also the "big" names (and, in my opinion, much less interesting). Marqués de Riscal is in Elciego, a lovely little town...but with little to do. Viura hotel is also great, in Villabuena. And plenty of "off the beaten path" places, such as dolmens, caves, 10th century tombs, an atheist cemetery full of sculptures, monasteries, castles...Logroño is a medium sized town, not much to see, but Laurel street for pintxos is just great. Just take into account that for us locals pintxos are never a meal, but an appetizer to go with your wine, and then you have dinner (rarely before 0930pm, maybe 10). For lunch in the areal, Héctor Oribe in Páganos close to Laguardia, Amelibia as recommended by Robert, El Portalón. And several places in Labastida (any will be good) and my favorite, Asador Jose Mari in Rivas de Tereso, near Labastida. The wine museum of Dinastía Vivanco is really something different, worth visiting, as the castle on top of San Vicente de la Sonsierra...
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 10:09 AM

Do not miss Laurel St. in Logroño for pinchos. Awesome!
Calle Laurel de Logroño. Web Oficial
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 04:57 PM

Sorry for that unedited mess. I’m having problems with new site using an iPad.