Icebergs in September!

Search

Icebergs in September!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icebergs in September!

If you've visited or considered visiting Newfoundland, you probably know that June is the normal arrival time for icebergs. However, the gigantic Petermann ice "island" that broke off a Greenland glacier last year, has produced dozens of icebergs this August (when the St. Anthony area had every cove filled with bergs) and September (White Bay, Bay of Exploits, and Notre Dame Bay).
This past Sunday was a lovely day, so I drove up to Twillingate for a last look:
http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/s...d/icebergs.jpg
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 04:09 AM

A gorgeous photo, nfldbeothuk. We occasionally saw icebergs off St. John's harbour when we lived there in the late '70s and early '80s. We also used to take visitors up to places like Heart's Delight and often saw them there in the early summer. Whales, too, I recollect, sometimes very close to the shore.

Ah, memories. I have just started to plan a trip to Gros Morne next year, a place I somehow didn't get to when we lived in Newfoundland.
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 01:11 PM

Oh my goodness, that's fantastic. Between your photos, starfish's report and Kodi's encouragement and books....well, I just gotta see Newfoundland for myself.
Old Sep 17th, 2011, 02:56 PM
LJ

You are making me want to be there again! Great images...

yes, cmcfong, you MUST go to NL, but leave yourself plenty of time to explore, though. I am always saddened when I see folks trying to see all of this vast province in a week. And that doesn't even include the L part of NL!
Old Sep 17th, 2011, 06:55 PM

Hi LJ. I could not agree more. It deserves so much more time than what is usually given. Cmcfong, you must try for a couple of weeks ( or more!).

Nfldbeothuk what a beautiful picture!