Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Great Off Beach Snorkeling Trip Around $3k-3500?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband & I are looking for a place to go to celebrate our 20th anniversary. Trip time could be anytime from Oct. this year to Mar. 2011. Originally we were planning to go to Turneffe Island off Belize, but they raised their 2011 rates. Then we looked at Roatan, Honduras, but things I've read about the bugs/mosquitoes, electricity problems and airport conditions have me a little wary of that choice. So I"m posting on this forum and the Mexico forum asking for help in finding something for us. Here are our priorites:

- Off beach snorkeling that is comparable to Grand Cayman for variety in marine life
- Comfortable lodging with A/C, (TV or DVD and Wi-Fi a plus)
- Safe
- Typically clear and not rough waters
- Either ruins or some other type special attraction available (we were so looking forward to vising the Blue Hole if we'd stayed at the Turneffe island Resort!)
- Either good eating establishment near or, if a kitchenette is included, groceries near
- Total price (including air from Atlanta)) for 6 nights around $3000-3500

I originally posted this a while back with a budget of no more than $5000 but our finances have gotten tighter. Thanks for the help!
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 09:52 AM

Turk`s & Cacio`s most place`s are right on Grace Bay which has some good snorkling.We stayed at the Sand`s and found everything we needed in a hotel. Good luck....
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 10:34 AM

Hi Chellyroo,
First of all, congrats on your upcoming anniversary! Wow, 20 years!

Since you mentioned an interest in a Blue Hole, Long Island, Bahamas came to mind. You could take advantage of the special out islands offer they have going right now (free airfare for 2 to any out island from Nassau) and stay at Cape Santa Maria in one of their super luxurious brand new villas. It's the best beach I've ever been on! There is a blue hole on the island to explore as well as caves and tons of deserted beaches, and you can do snorkeling excursions from the hotel. Please note that Long Island is very, very remote, but absolutely beautiful!

Here are some links to help you check it out:
CSM link with their current villa special:
http://www.capesantamaria.com/specia...bahamas-villa/

Out island airfare special:
http://www.myoutislands.com/flyfree-promo.cfm

and my trip report with TONS of photos from Long Island:
http://www.fodors.com/community/cari...ort-223-32.cfm

Oh, and I had my very own "stingray city tour" in Long Island. I found myself surrounded by about 20 giant stingrays when I was at Deans Blue Hole. And I was the only one in the water! (I've been to Grand Cayman before).

Another thought for you is Grand Case Beach Club in St. Martin. I say this b/c it had the best off-beach snorkeling I've seen in the islands (other than Hawksnest Beach in St. John-which you may want to check out Caneel Bay in St. John as well). GCBC is a beautiful small boutique hotel on the French side of St. Martin. It's directly on 2 beautiful beaches comparable to St. John's, and the snorkeling was wonderful! You can walk to all of the amazing French restaurants in Grand Case from there, and there is TONS to do in St. Martin, including ziplining, visiting other islands nearby (Anguilla, St. Barths, Saba, Pinel). Here's my trip report from there-we just returned from our second trip there. Good luck deciding! I think for 2 people you could do either of these trips in your price range.
http://www.fodors.com/community/cari...-7-15-long.cfm
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 01:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Grace Bay, Turks & Caicos is our favorite place, but as far as walk-in snorkeling goes www.caneelbay.com on St. John or www.secretharbourvi.com on St. Thomas are fantastic. Not sure on the price though.
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 03:20 AM

There really is No good snorkeling in St. Martin. off the the beach or from a tour boat. One place that comes to mind/ TIL is one place that has it all even more so than riatan and you are correct the mosquitos on roatan van be a real issue even ususing repellent with 50% DEET in it. You might want to look in to Curacao if you could get in to a studio at the Royal Sea Aquarium resort. It is a time share that operated like a hotel. It is small(30 units) maintained in excellent conditioned. The studio is more like a 1 bedroom unit not just a single room. It also has a kiychenette to easily have breakfast and a few lunches. it is on the EAST END which is an issue so you need a rental car and it is adviseable to use Hertz, Avis, etc. vs a local firm ($300 for a compact car). the car gives you access to the many restaurants you can fibd by searching this forum that are a 5-`10 mile drive away. as for snorkeling there is some very good snorkeligon the WEST END of the island, a 45-55 minute drive, where there are a series of 6-7 quite bays with lovely 100 yard beaches formed bu boulders. as you snorkel along the boulders and just around them you will sea a great variety of fish and sea anenomes. If you go at Beach #1 look up Capt. Good Life and for about 420-424/person he will take you to some less accessable snorkel sites that are very good. you will get up to 3 locatios at 45 minuytes each and it is a bargain. If you consider it a good time to go is between Nov.10-Dec.15 after their windy season and before their high season.The onlt big cost item is the airfare,