Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

4 days between Firenze & Rome--Bus to SG & Siena?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning on 4-5 days in Florence and 4 in Rome, with 4 days in between next May. I was in San Gimignano and Siena 4 years ago; Val D'Orcia last fall. My sister (my fellow traveler) has not been to Italy before.

I want someplace that can be reached by public transportation, so I was thinking of bus to San Gimignano for 2 nights, then bus from SG to Siena for 2 nights, then bus to Rome.

Are these buses primarily for locals/schoolchildren? Will we be able to get our suitcases (carry-ons) on board? And do those travel arrangement make sense?

Any other suggestions? (public transportation only--no cars please)

Thanks
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 07:02 PM

Yes, you can get your suitcases on board. They go underneath. Yes, buses are mostly for locals and tend to be most frequent on weekdays, mornings and end of the work day.

Hard to see Tuscany by public trans.

Personally, I would not want to be in San Gimigagno for 2 days or even Siena without a car to drive around and see other towns and sights.

Have you considered hiring a private tour guide to take you around?
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 07:05 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Schedules for buses in this area are on Siena Mobilita.
http://www.sienamobilita.it/EN/index.html

Between Siena and Rome, you want Sena bus which also runs almost hourly most days.
http://www.sena.it/index_e.htm

You can also take the train between Siena and Rome, but it won't be any faster and you might have to change trains enroute.

The suitcases go in the luggage bins underneath the bus. The driver sometimes gets off and opens it, but if not, you are expected to open and close.

Another option you could consider between Florence and Rome is Orvieto which is on the train line.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 07:12 PM

Devils advocate here -- I think you can find plenty to do, particularly in Siena, for 2 nights. I might consider restructuring with just 1 night in SG and adding an extra night to Rome. Orvieto would also be a nice idea. So many choices!

The private guide idea is great but I don't know if that would stretch your budget too far. Perhaps someone here knows about what the would cost?
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 07:32 PM

I just took the bus from Rome to Siena. It is a coach/pulman type bus, very comfortable. The suitcases go in the belly of the bus.