Rocky Mountain National Park

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many days should be devoted to Rocky Mountain Nat. Park and where else in the area should we see. We can be away for 10 days Where should be look for lodging?

Thanks.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 07:35 AM

So much depends on how interested you are in hiking, because that's the main draw of the park. You could see most of the park from a car in one day; you could pick a hike a day for a month and not traverse the same ground.

This is an excellent website with detailed information on hiking in the park: http://www.thespiritoftherockies.net...ikingRMNP.html

Also, what time of year are you planning on visiting? July, August and September afford the best weather, but are the most crowded.

The east side of the park, Estes Park, has the largest choice of lodging and restaurants, and it's not too early to reserve for the summer months. Some people don't like the touristy "downtown" area of Estes, but that's certainly not all Estes is and you can easily avoid it if you don't like it. I enjoy the amenities there and always stay on that side.

You could also explore the west side of the park (Grand Lake), and can do it in a daytrip, over Trail Ridge Road. Grand Lake is smaller, and does have lodging and restaurants. This side of the park shows the severe impact of the pine beetle which has left the landscape marred by swaths of red, dead pine trees.

RMNP is one of this country's most beautiful natural areas, so it's nice if you can devote the time to get off the roads and into the backcountry a bit to really enjoy it. However long you stay, it will be worth it!
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 09:46 AM

Everything TekWriter said is right on the money. Assuming you are visiting in the summer, I would recommend no less than two days in the park -- one day for driving the main roads (go up the Fall River Road, over to the Continental Divide, then back down US 34), one day for hiking at the Bear Lake Trailhead. I recommend the latter because it has trails for just about any level of hiking ability -- the trail around Bear Lake is wheelchair accessible!

As TekWriter notes, you can spend weeks hiking in RMNP without re-tracing a single step.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 03:29 PM

I also might be looking at going to RMNP this summer - August with 9 people total. I have been looking at places to stay. really would love to stay together....but also need to keep it not very expensive. You have answered that Estes seems to be one of the best places to stay...

Any suggestions on vacation homes, campgrounds with cabins etc.

Thanks.

The group is:
2 grandparents
2 adults with 2 teenagers
1 adult with 3 kids (teenagers)
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 03:37 PM

We just went to the Park and I discovered the little town of Grand Lake. I loved it! Check out www.vrbo.com There are some great vacation homes available that would accommodate your family.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 09:07 AM

Vrbo is a great source for houses in the estes area.

I can highly recommend #52894. Its one of the best setups / locations we've ever had and it would accomodate 9.

Many places are filling quick for summer, so I would get on booking your lodging fast!

Also, rmnpforums.com is an incredible resource to get info on RMNP, hiking, etc. as well as stuff to do around Estes.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 06:16 PM

Thanks..I willl...appreciate it.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 06:18 PM

bummer - that unit 52894 is booked for when we need it.

Love it tho.