Mahone Bay/Lunenburg, Nova Scotia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking for recommendations for food or sights to see in this area for a day trip or possibly a one night stay. I have been looking online and in the Doers and Dreamers Guide, but I was hoping for more insight.

Any favorites in the area?
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 08:59 PM

Hi Mazey,
Visit the Lunenburg County Winery in Mahone Bay ... check out canada-wine.com on the internet. You'll be greeted by Heather and Dan, the owners, who have a long history in the area and a knowledge for home grown award winning fruit wines. Heather is an expert in basketry and even creates living willow fences. She's the most hospitable, kind person you'll ever meet! I think they still run their own B&B, but if not, they will recommend some wonderful places in the area. Have a wonderful time.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 03:16 PM

Mazey,
My DH and I took a trip out east (we are from Calgary, AB). Mahone Bay was my absolute favorite place in all of NS, NB and PEI!!! Not a whole lot there, but what a view the scenery will take your breath away. Have fun.. Doers and Dreamers guide is quite informative, we stayed at B & B's out east, everyone is so friendly, and if your looking for local color the owner's can guide you.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 06:28 AM
ltt

take a trip out on a sail boat or similar for a few hours.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 11:01 AM
LJ

Lunenburg is a UNESCO Heritage site, very picturesque and still a working port. If you have time and don't mind spending a little money, do dinner at Fleur de Sel Restuarant. It is wonderful!
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 01:02 PM

Between Mahone Bay and Lunenburg, stop off at Second Penninsula. There's a provencial park with picnic tables under the pine trees at the water's edge for a picnic lunch....and Bockman's Beach a little further down on the pennisula for a quiet, relaing time. Check out the Mariner King Inn www.marinerking.com in Lunenburg for a great place to stay. Their Attic Suite is amazing!!
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 06:23 AM
LJ

Sailorgirl-wehavejust bought/inherited a family property right next door to Second Peninsula Park-don't live there yet (still tied to a desk) but hope to someday-you sound like you know the are well?