Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Translink Trip Planner Driving Me CRAZY!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, not really, but it *is* annoying me.

I will be taking an overnight trip to Vancouver next weekend and on Sunday, I need to go to the Daniadown store on South Granville. If I don't buy anything that I need to drop at the hotel(Fairmont Waterfront), then I'll be going directly from Daniadown to Stanley Park.

The trip planner shows me how to get to Daniadown easily enough. I'll be catching the 10 on Hastings and disembarking at Granville and 11th and I know that to get to Stanley Park, I'll need a 10 back over to Pender where I can catch the 19. However, when I try to plan this on the trip planner, it does not give me a schedule for a northbound 10 on Granville. It tells me to catch the southbound 10, connect with another route to Burnaby, and catch the 19 on Kingsway, a trip that totals over 2 hours.

I looked at the Sunday schedule for the 10 and it shows that route running north on Granville every 15 minutes on Sunday afternoons. I've even tried typing Pacific Centre into the planner to see if it would send me directly there, but it still wants to send me through Burnaby.

Is there something going on in Vancouver that I don't know about along northbound Granville (reroute, closed stop, construction), or is the computer just loopy?
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 12:04 PM

Granville Street is completely shut down around the Robson Street and Georgia Street intersection. The #10 doesn't actually run on Granville Street at the moment, but on Seymour Street if you're going northbound, and Howe Street if going southbound.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 12:04 PM

I should have also mentioned, the closure is due to the construction of the new "skytrain" line called the Canada Line. It's going to be more like a subway, hence they're digging up the roads like crazy.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 12:31 PM

Although what Carmanah says is true, I don't believe that is what is causing your scheduling problem. The #10 Bus operates on weekdays (albeit on Seymour Street to avoid the construction to which Carmanah referred).

<b>However</b> a large swath of the #10 Bus's route does not operate on a Sunday.

Instead you should catch the #16 Bus (labelled 29th Avenue Station) on northbound Granville Street at West Broadway. Disembark on northbound Seymour Street at Dunsmuir Street.

Then catch the #19 Bus (labelled Stanley Park) on westbound West Pender Street at Granville Street.

The entire trip should take half an hour.

Hope that helps.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both.

I decided to try one more time, but I changed my trip time by 15 minutes and my preference to the fewest transfers instead of the shortest walking distance. Lo and behold, it gave me a northbound 10 that connects with the 19. It also gave me a 16/19 (Go, Judy!) and 98/19 connection, all taking little more than half an hour.

Our Metro trip planner in Seattle has the exact same quirks, where one has to be precise to the nth to get the trip that they want. Computers are so wonderful.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:08 AM

Glad you have it figured out - enjoy South Granville shopping!

I have to say although you had a frustrating experience, I find Translink Trip Planner to be one of the best and most flexible.

Imagine my horror of moving from Vancouver and being used to that level of functionality and hitting Halifax where EVEN if you call in to the centre (no on-line trip planning feature), you cannot give the address of where you are starting or want to go. They don't know about addresses so you have to give them cross-streets. So out-of-towners, anyone know offhand the cross-street of Daniadown? Get it?!

Well, that's my rant &amp; rave for today - hope I don't get banned for not waiting til Friday to do it...LOL!

Enjoy-la!
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Don't get me wrong. I find transit trip planners *very* useful and am disappointed when cities that I travel to don't have one for their transit systems. 99.9% of my experiences with them have been good.

It was just bugging me because I knew that my trip to Stanley Park was about 40 minutes with one connection and the computer was determined to send me on the scenic tour through Burnaby. If I wasn't an experienced transit rider and didn't know how to read schedules and maps, I would have been thoroughly confused.

I'm certainly going to enjoy my time, however short, in Vancouver. It's been 2 years since my last visit and that's much too long.