OK it's not Africa but it is wildlife related - National Geographic Wildcam

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure many of you will remember that last year National Geographic had a wonderful webcam trained on a waterhole in Botswana where we could view all sorts of animals coming to drink. I really missed it when it came offline...

So some of you wildlife lovers might be pleased to know that there is a new "wildcam" located in Alaska, filming grizzly bears fishing at McNeil falls. There is a lot of action and bears galore.

http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/...s/wildcam.html

I know I should probably have posted this on the US board but I figured it would be sure to interest the wildlife enthusiasts on the Africa board...
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the link.

I am considering a trip to Alaska for August 2007 (Denali and Kodiak), so this will give me something to watch in the interim.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:58 AM

Thanks for that, been watching for a few minutes now. Oh why can't they run 2, one in Africa as well... So, back to the bears then.

Matt
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 12:47 PM

Thanks, it is getting me psyched for Brooks Falls, another grizzly fishing spot. I had FF miles so on Friday I'm headed to Brooks for 3 nights, with a night in Anchorage before and after. Perfect timing.

Getting a camping spot at McNeil River to see the bears is really tough with only a few lucky enough to win that lottery. I never have.

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 12:52 PM

atravelynn, what are the details of your trip? Is Brooks Falls easily reachable from Anchorage? If so, I may add it to my trip next year.

I'm also going to research camping at McNeil River.

Thanks
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 12:57 PM

Excellent -- thanks for posting.

Atravelynn: I'm very jealous, enjoy the bears!
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 01:05 PM

Thit_Cho: I believe Atravelynn is an expert in this area so take her word over mine.

For McNeil River I believe you will have to enter a lottery drawing so the choice there will not be up to you only, you will need some very good luck.

I have heard a few opinions that Pack Creek on Admirality Island is the premier spot for brown bear viewing and it is one of the cheaper spots to go to as well, operated by US Forest Service, but it is in Southeast down by Juneau and Glacier Bay.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 01:10 PM

PB, I just checked out the McNeil River website, and you are correct, its a lottery (with slim success rates), but it also involves camping, and I really do like a hot shower every day, so I think I'll stick to Denali and Kodiak (and also research Admiralty Island).
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 08:02 PM

Thit cho,

Brooks Falls is easily reached from Anchorage. When you book with Brooks, the flight is included as part of the package, usually flying to a town called King Salmon first and then transfering to a float plane into Brooks.

http://www.katmailand.com/lodging/brooks.html

The best time is mid-July, with anytime in July offering good bear viewing. August is not good, but September is. I've been July 5,6,7 and 11,12,13 and both were equally great. Cabin stays are limited to 3 days in July. (You can have a shorter stay, too or just a day trip.) If you stay overnight, it is likely you would have up to 3 same-sex roommates in a 2 bunkbed cabin. You
can book a private room at a much greater cost.

These limited spaces fill up fast. Reservations are open 18 months in advance and sometimes fill within a day or two. Getting one spot in a 4-person cabin is probably not as hard.

There can be quite a few people during the day when day trips fly in. But you still have unobstructed views of many, many bears. It is only crowded at times on the platform right at the falls. There is another spot you can watch bears down the river, away from the falls. Then close to the cabins is a platform overlooking a shallow lake with quite a bit of activity too, especially mothers and cubs, if they are around.

For bear activity with less people I have heard good things about Emerald Air, but have not used them They do day trips and longer ones to the Katmai area, away from Brooks. I think they are out of Anchorage, but not sure.

There also is Hallo Bay Wilderness Camp

http://www.alaska.net/~kodiak/

They do day trips from <u>Homer</u>, Alaska into Hallo Bay in Katmai and also offer longer stays. I did a super one week trip in 2004. Very remote, few people, lots of bears, but not as many as Brooks. Anytime June through October has good bear activity here. It is not limited to the salmon runs, as it is at Brooks.

Now here is how this all relates to Africa. While gorilla tracking, another traveler told me that the intimacy of that animal-observer experience was unlike anything he had encountered, except for watching the grizzlies in Katmai. A good comparison.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 04:42 AM

Thanks atravelynn for the information. I hope to make this journey some day.

I also see for those inclined to camp that 60 camp sites are available at the Brooks Campground in Katmai National Park. I went to the online reservation site and amazingly there were many openings available for this July and September.

http://reservations.nps.gov/

(Enter Katmai National park)

I would imagine the logistics are not easy camping as from what I have read you have to bring all food and gear with you as there is no place to buy supplies there.

If you get a chance to talk to any of the campers could you ask them about about their camping experience and get any logistical tips. Thanks and have a great trip.

Old Jul 18th, 2006, 06:05 AM

There is a cafeteria as part of the lodge/camping complex at Brooks that provides meals three times a day. That is where I eat.

Because it is so rainy there, camping can get a bit wet.