Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

English language books/bookstores in Thailand?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to plan reading material for my upcoming trip to Thailand - I'm figuring between the two long plane rides (coming from D.C.), beach time (1 week in Phuket) plus 1.5 other weeks of random reading time, I'm going to need several books, and don't cherish the idea of dragging them all with me there. Any chance I'll be able to pick up an English novel or two while in BKK or Phuket (I'm assuming that Chiang Rai and Siem Reap, our other locations, will be less likely to have this ammenity!)
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 01:54 PM

Hi sberk....I've been to a good bookshop in Bangkok but can't remember the place. However will confer with my Thai friend and let you know if no-one else tells you first. Cheers!
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 02:35 PM

The most famous one is Asia Books. There are several branches all over BKK. If you tell me the name of the hotel/area where you will be staying, I will give you the address. I bought several books from there last year and still have the bag with all there branches listed. Also, you can go to the book dept. in the big dept store: Central or Emporium.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 03:47 PM

On the island of Phuket there is an English book store in Patong. I bought several English books there when I was there 2 years ago. I don't remember the exact street,but you should have no trouble finding it.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 07:56 PM

KINOKUNIYA BOOK STORES are the biggest and best english language bookstores there is one in emporium mall. the another on the last floor of isitan dept store in central world plaza mall.

the B2B stationalry store on the last foor of central chit lom has a small selecton of english language books

Asia books is OK but kinikakuukki (or how ever you say it) is more like a BORDERS from the USA
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 06:37 AM

There is also a good bookstore in the Bangkok airport.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 11:53 AM

sberk, although I'm not answering your question, I thought I'd offer a suggestion instead. Before leaving for Thailand, I stopped at a local Salvation Army (swap meets are also good) and bought a few books for 25-50 cents each. Since they were so inexpensive, as I read them, I just left them behind and, in doing so, created more room in my suitcase for souveniers and gifts.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 12:46 PM

Hi again sberk. The shop I was referring to in Bangkok was DK ( pronounced Doowan Kamon) in the Mah Boon Krong shopping complex in Siam Square. Apparently they have branches everywhere.Good Luck!
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 06:05 AM

if DK.. is the bookstore on the last floor of MBK then it's not very good for english language books..