Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Family Italy trip -- Itinerary getting closer -- help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2018, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All Italy experts --

So after much ado, here's what I've narrowed it down to...

EITHER

Fly into Venice, 3 days, then one week at Il Borghetto, then one week in the "Siena Area" in Castelmuzio (10 minutes from Pienza) at a luxury villa then back through Rome.

Or should we just fly into Rome and spend longer at villa and go from there to Venice at the end for a few days.

Thoughts? This is beginning of May with three little kids in tow

All the best!
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 04:57 PM

It's a little hard to follow; are you saying a week at EACH of two separate villas? Both in Tuscany? I googled Il Borghetto and found several places with the name...

How old are the children?
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 07:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you did reverse the order and then needed to fly to the U.S. from Venice, check your departure time options from VCE. They can often be terribly early which I would think would be even more difficult when you have to get three little kids up and out. It would likely be much easier to fly home from Rome although, depending on your departure time, it may mean spending the last night at or nearer FCO. Pienza to FCO is about 3 hours.
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 04:39 PM

It just seems like a lot of time in the country. If I remember correctly, you’re going in May when the weather can still be a bit iffy. What do you hope to do with your time in each location? Certainly, you know yourself and your kids better than us, but did you consider spending one of your weeks in a town or city where there’s a variety of things to do and you won’t have to drive everywhere?

But if you gave us an idea what you want to do with your time, it might help us give feedback.
Old Feb 27th, 2018, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your replies.

My kids are 3, 6, and 8. We'd love to relax, eat good food, and keep the kids busy enough that they aren't bored. And that there are things for them to do/ see plus some wandering. Cooking class, etc...

Thinking 2 nights in Venice, then the week in Il Borghetto by San Gimangiano, and then I have another 5 nights. I originally wanted to stay in Pienza, but the Saturday to Saturday wasn't working so thought maybe we would go to a resort from here in Southern Tuscany. I love the Pienza area and Perugia sounds nice too. Is it too much country time?

I want to avoid big cities and tourist, but also take advantage that this is early June and not August so anywhere will be lovely. Amalfi sounded amazing, but not sure with the littles so was thinking we'd just figure out Souther Tuscany.

Last potential thought is to switch gears completely and just do two weeks in Puglia. Honestly though, the Il Borghetto place sounds so wonderful...

Would love thoughts on this sorta last minute trip!

Thank you!
Old Feb 27th, 2018, 10:19 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
With children as young as yours, it seems like a lot of time in the country to me. Though the Il Borghetto resort does look lovely, its own activities list doesn't offer much, if any, things for young children to do.

Just for reference, we spent a week in late June in Puglia with our two children, both teenagers at the time. They appreciated the sightseeing more or less but, really, much preferred our beach time. We also visited Venice with our teen children; they could enjoy the city without becoming fidgety, and we did not have to concern ourselves with one of them running toward a canal or with toting a stroller up and down stairs. Puglia, and Venice, are not places I would enjoy as a holiday with young children. DH and I spent a week in Tuscany without the children; every day included a day trip and every evening, a simple dinner and a bottle of wine at our rental cottage. We decided we'll keep Tuscany to ourselves.

I know you wrote that you want to avoid big cities, but comparatively, Rome and Florence were hits with our children (5 and 10 at the time in Rome; 11 and 16 in Florence). Gelato on request; plenty of green space; a modicum of art; and a private guide tour one day to explain ancient Rome in terms they would appreciate. We visited Rome during Easter Week (crowded, yes, but people-watching added to the fun); and rented apartments in both cities where we could relax every evening.

Good Luck!
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 12:47 AM

I agree that that seems like way too much country time for children that age. Tuscany to me is all about the food and wine and lovely vistas and towns. I don't have children but it seems pretty boring to me for kids that age.

What about a place like this: Families - Villa Pia

My friends absolutely love it and their kids (your kids ages) have a great time. They have children focused activities and the kids can eat earlier so you have some adult time.

Just a thought...
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 01:45 AM

The vibe I get from the Il Borghetto website - and that's all I have to go on - is that it's a place for well-heeled adults to indulge in a sort of Tuscan fantasy, a family-run place, but not a family-oriented place necessarily. I spent a lot of time in Tuscany and Umbria with young children back in the day, and I think they would have been bored to tears for a week in such a place. The places that really grabbed them were more laid back, with pools full of other kids, a game room, animals, picnic areas - communal areas where children could gather and nearby towns where they could wander unfettered and be safe and explore. One such place they loved was Agriturismo Trasimeno appartamenti Vacanze in Umbria | Vacanze Ideali in Umbria. But you of course know your kids and I don't.