Search

Pacific Drive RoadTrip during Thanks giving

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2017, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pacific Drive RoadTrip during Thanks giving

Hello folks out there,

We are a family of 5 planning for a road trip during thanksgiving (17th to 26th Nov) from SFO to San Diego.

What will be the weather like, I mean we can look up for temp. and stuff, but want to know is it a good idea to plan a trip during that time, will it be cold (Have my mom travelling as well) and very short days you think?

We haven't booked anything yet, but should we really look for earlier dates like if we can ?

Thanks a ton,
Old Jul 23rd, 2017, 08:44 PM

Cold? No, I would expect pleasantly mild temperatures, very nice for travel, breezy cool nights maybe.

Are you flying into SFO and flying home from San Diego? And are you including a San Francisco visit in this trip? Because 9 days isn't nearly enough to experience SF, LA, San Diego and all that's in between, especially if 17 is flying into SFO and 26 is flying home.

22 Wednesday is a terrible traffic day, especially all around Los Angeles, so don't plan to be driving in or through LA on that date. 26th is a difficult busy flight day so get your tickets a.s.a.p.

Yes it is short days, dusk is around 5pm.
Old Jul 24th, 2017, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Debbie,
Much appreciated for the quick response.

As long as we can walk around all the places without shivering and spend enough time being outside, we should be good.

Yeah, SFO is part of the plan, may be couple of days.

Yes we plan to fly down to SFO and cover all the way down to San Diego.
My sister stays in San Diego, so we are open to staying at SD for a day or so more and wait out the weekend rush, may be fly back to Philly on 27th or 28th.
Still working on the itenrary, do you suggest that would work out best in terms of places we should cover and time spent and dos/dont's?

Thanks Again !
Old Jul 24th, 2017, 05:24 AM

You can't predict what the weather will be like around Thanksgiving. in the San Francisco area, I recall years when it rained almost every day in November, and years when it did not rain at all. It should not be below 40 degrees anytime, however. If you plan on driving Hwy 1 from San Francisco to LA - be aware that the section at Big Sur is presently closed. Check in November to determine if it is open.

Here are some ideas of things to do in the San Francisco area:
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...mendations.cfm

Stu Dudley
Old Jul 24th, 2017, 06:59 AM

Regarding the Hwy 1 closures in Big Sur. Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge may be rebuilt by November but the Mud Creek slide area will still be closed so you can't make a through drive and in November it's better to play the Hwy 1 drive by ear anyway due to weather. I wouldn't drive it in a storm.
Old Jul 24th, 2017, 07:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Our rainy season so be prepared.