LA, then San Diego or San Fran??

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

LA, then San Diego or San Fran??

We are leaving August 1st and staying 2 weeks in CA. First week is in LA (work) and the second week is undecided. Is it too much traveling too visit San Diego and San Fran within a week? If so, what suggestions for either city? We love nice dinners out, beaches, site seeing, basically relaxed. Thanks so much for your help!!!
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 11:37 AM

Whatever you decide, make reservations NOW. This is a busy time of year for the entire state.

You can do San Francisco and San Diego in a week. Assuming you FLY between the two cities. From LA, you drive two to three hours south to SD, spend a few days (there's your beach time!), then fly up to SF, spend a few more days (there's your sight-seeing and nice dinners out time!), fly home from SFO or OAK or SJC. The drive from LA to SF is lovely, but you should plan on two to three days to make a "relaxed" trip out of it.

I hope that makes sense. Others might suggest to skip SD and take the drive up to SF and spend the remainder of the week up there. That's an option, although I am not a fan of long road trips any more. But this isn't about me.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 12:05 PM

I second rjw's recommendations.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 12:09 PM

And I'll "third" them, with the addition that you can also sightsee and have nice dinners in San Diego!
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 12:18 PM

Since you'll have spent a week in southern California already (albeit for work) I'd probably drive to San Francisco (get a plane ticket home from there) and skip San Diego. Take 3+ days to drive north then 3+ days in the city. Fly into LA and out of SF. That's pretty relaxed.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 12:26 PM

Barbara, of course you're right-- plenty to see and do down there. In fact, you're making me miss SD all the more-- it's been well over a year since I was there last, and I just HAVE to get down there soon!
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Any suggestions for things to do that are low-key in all three cities? Low-key meaning no Disneyland type of stuff. Beaches? Sites? Thanks for all your helpful info!
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 04:37 PM

I know this will sound corny but I REALLY like riding the street cars in San Francisco, start at the beginning on Market Street, ride thru Chinatown, down to Fisherman's Wharf.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 05:11 PM

In San Diego we have many great beaches. IMO, the best are Coronado, La Jolla Shores, Torrey Pines State Beach and Del Mar Beach. Mission Beach is huge and fun. You can sit on the beach or stroll on the boardwalk. Lots of places to eat or drink.

For the Coronado Beach, you can spend the afternoon on the beach, then put on shorts and go the the Hotel Del for drinks on the terrace.

In Del Mar, have lunch at Poseidon, which has a patio outside right on the beach, then spend the afternoon on the beach and go back to either Poseidon or Jake's (right next door, but no outside patio)for drinks. Make reservations for lunch because the Del Mar Races are on and restaurants get very busy. And there's another thing to do if you're interested, go to the Races. First race is at 2pm. Another fun place to eat in Del Mar during race season - and VERY busy - is the Brigantine. It's situated on a corner overlooking the race course.

For relaxing sightseeing, drive out to the Cabrillo National Monument on Point Loma. You can take a picnic and a blanket, walk down the trail under the Old Lighthouse, find a quiet secluded place to park yourselves and watch the boats. It's a must-do place even without the picnic.

In the evening there are many god restaurants for dinner. My favorites include George's in La Jolla-either outside on the upstairs terrace or downstairs in the more expensive dining room. I also like the Top of the Market on the Embarcadero, next to the Midway museum. Also, the Prado in Balboa park-outside on their terrace is very romantic. You will need reservations at all of them. There are lots more and maybe someone else will suggest others.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 05:13 PM

I meant "good", really, even though you may think you've died and gone to heaven!
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Kal

Barb,
Maybe if Kobedc is in San Diego long enough they can run for Mayor?
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 05:21 PM

Kal, we're down to two candidates now for a run-off in November.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions in San Diego! How far is a drive from San Diego to San Fran? Any suggestions for LA or San Fran? Restaurants, site seeing, beaches, relaxed ideas? Thanks!!
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 08:40 PM

San Diego to San Francisco (please, not San Fran) is about a 9 to 10 hour drive, depending on the day of the week and the traffic--and, of course, the route. The fastest is up I5, which while quick is very boring.