Paris- restaurant

Search

Paris- restaurant

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2017, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris- restaurant

i was listening online and Pauline mentioned her favorite Paris restaurant. She said no reses at lunch, you'll just see the line. Four months wait for reses for dinner. did anyone get the name? I thought she said right bank but then said St Germain

i didn't even get where it was

thank you
Old Jun 28th, 2017, 10:30 AM

Is it one of the podcasts here:

http://www.frommers.com/podcast
Old Jun 28th, 2017, 10:44 AM

Have no idea who you are talking about.

There are a couple Constant restaurants that don't take reservations but they are in the 7th (Les Cocottes and Cafe Constant).

It could be le Comptoir du Relais which takes no reservations at lunch.
https://parisbymouth.com/le-comptoir-du-relais/

that's all I've got
Old Jun 28th, 2017, 10:45 AM

oh, it must be Le COmpotoir du Relais as the dinner menu does need booking well in advance
Old Jun 28th, 2017, 10:54 AM

That is what I thought it might be also. I ate a late lunch there in October and knew from here or Tripadvisor that it was very popular w/the lunch lines, etc.

Pauline Frommer is the daughter of the Frommer founder
Old Jun 29th, 2017, 07:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Might she have mentioned Le Relais de l'Entrecôte?
Old Jun 29th, 2017, 07:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Oh, I guess not, because they don't take reservations for dinner either.
Old Jun 29th, 2017, 08:26 AM

It was an interesting podcast. Pauline mentions le Comptoir de René (that´s what I heard anyway) and that it was on the Right Bank in St Germain des Prés. I sense some confusion here.

Poor Pauline, she was obviously so excited about this restaurant that she forgot where it was. I believe it was probably l´Avant Comptoir which is not on the Right Bank, but it is as close to St Germain de Prés as one can be, it does have a line for lunch (no reservations) and does take reservations for dinner (though it´s not a 4 month wait).

Pauline is probably a great write but not much for names or directions.
Old Jun 29th, 2017, 09:25 AM

Comptoir du Relais sounds an awful lot like COmptoir de Rene, so not sure why you don't think it was COmptoir du Relais rather than l'Avant Comptoir.

I once heard Julia Child say Bon Appetite. I couldn't believe it as she lived in France a while.
Old Jun 29th, 2017, 10:17 AM

Christina, you do have a certain way with words. You are absolutely correct, and I am sure you are pleased to hear it. I wrote l´Avant Comptoire and should have referenced le Comptoire du Relais. They are both owned by Yves Camdeborde and they are separate by a few centimeters but you are correct.

Actually, I do not share Pauline´s enthusiasm for le Comptoire du Relais. It´s Ok but when I feel like having a lunch similar to what le Comptoire du Relais serves, I travel to Le Petit Vendôme at 8 Rue des Capucines in the 2nd. The food is the same but there are fewer tourists (actually none), shorter waits, better service, and lower prices.

I don´t traveling to avoid le Comptoire du Relais, and I live within walking distance of it.
Old Jun 29th, 2017, 02:10 PM

Julia Child actually said "bon appetite" as a joke. She had excellent French and closed her TV shows by saying "bon appétit." No dummy, she.
Old Jun 29th, 2017, 11:35 PM

Le Comptoir de Relais has only a long French menu, with an even longer wine list, the waitstaff has to explain everything in English to all the tourists who come here thinking they will have a fabulous meal, but they don't usually like - or recognize - what they order and leave most of the food on the plate, because it is not "traditionally French enough". The food is Asian-inspired, and Asian tourists appreciate it.

It's really annoying for anyone who lives here, doesn't mind waiting in line for a little while and likes to go to this restaurant on occasion.