Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

How to break the drive from Montreal to Niagara falls?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2017, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan to drive on Friday from Montreal to Niagara falls with kids age 15, 11, 9.
How would you break the drive?
Thanks
Old May 16th, 2017, 01:00 PM

I would likely stop in Kingston for lunch, assuming you leave Montreal in the morning. It's about 3-3.5 hrs. Kingston has a nice compact downtown and it is relatively accessible from the 401
Old May 17th, 2017, 03:45 AM

Toronto. Stay overnight and commute to Niagara Falls as a day tour.
Old May 17th, 2017, 07:08 AM

Leaving your car in Toronto is way expensive... Drive to Niagara and use Wego if you want shuttles...
Old May 17th, 2017, 08:12 AM

If you are going to drive from Montreal to Niagara on Friday, all you are asking is 'where should we stop for lunch?'

The answer to that depends on when you will leave Montreal and how fast/slow you usually drive. LOL

My suggestion is to 'break the drive' wherever you are around 12-1 o'clock.
Old May 17th, 2017, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

My question doesn't refer to lunch break but to some fun activity on the way....
Old May 18th, 2017, 08:10 AM

Ayaec, your question is unclear. That is my point. If you want to stop for an activity on the way, how much time will you have for that activity? An hour, a week? How long do you plan to spend getting from Montreal to Niagara in other words.

What you wrote is that you plan to drive from Montreal to Niagara on Friday. That is ONE day. The drive is around 7 hours depending on your route. So where are you going to have time or the inclination to stop along the way to do much more than eat lunch?

Let's suppose I suggest to you taking the kids to see Fort Henry which happens to open for the summer on Saturday. So are you going to stay overnight in Kingston, spend most of the day there and then drive to Niagara in the late afternoon?

I would suggest 'breaking' for a couple of days in Kingston. Is that what you have in mind?

http://www.forthenry.com/
Old May 18th, 2017, 01:16 PM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
I would be tempted to stop in Gananoque for a 1000 island boat cruise although that is not even half way. You could also spend a few hours at Sandbanks Provincial Park. Great beach but that would add 80k/50 miles to your trip.

Above all else I would be careful about what time I was passing through Toronto on a Friday, especially if this is a summer trip. You could get stuck in traffic for a very long time.