Itinerary for Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2016, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of 4 traveling to Switzerland in May 2017. We will reach Zurich by 7.00 am on 22 May 2017. We will leave Zurich by train to Salzburg on 31May 2017.
We require some help with trip planning.We wish to cover the following...
Lucerne and surrounding mountains like Titlis,Stansehorn,Rigi,Pilatus.
Interlaken and surroundings like Jungfraujoch,Schillthorn,and the 2 lakes.
Laussane and Geneva
Zermatt, Matterhorn and Gornegrat
A panoramic train journey either Glacier Express or Bernina Express.
In our country we are being offered the Swiss Travel Pass for 8 days with an extra 2 days thrown in. Is it worth buying that.
Any help would be highly appreciated
Thanks
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 08:09 AM

In our country we are being offered the Swiss Travel Pass for 8 days with an extra 2 days thrown in. Is it worth buying that.>

If you travel as much as previewed a definite yes -for lots of info on Swiss transports and passes check www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

Bernina Express is way out of your way for limited time and GE does also not go anywhere you otherwise plan and IMO is very over hyped anyway - take the Golden Pass scenic train between Interlaken and Monstreux - one of Switzerland's legendary scenic trains.

Again your ambitions way outstrip your time - I'd settle on Lucerne - Interlaken area and Montreux at most.
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 08:44 AM

Listen to what Pal is telling you. You have only 8 days on the ground and can't realistically cover everything you have mentioned. You're not even counting travel times between destinations. Pick 3.
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 08:46 AM

I agree with PalenQ: Your itinerary is too ambitious for your available time.

Have you considered renting a car in Zurich for your eight days? With four people you would need a van or a large SUV but should be able to rent one for around US$700 (US$1100 with insurance) for the eight days. You could pick it up right at the train station.

You'll have to decide if you want to spend your time in the cities or mountains. For me Zurich, Bern and Lucerne are each worth a day. I love the Bernese Oberland and would spend a couple of days in Interlaken, day tripping out of there to see Grindelwald and the surrounding mountains.

A circular driving route would hit those places and give you another 2 - 3 days to add your own choices.
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 09:35 AM

The Glacier Express goes almost up to the Austrian border:
Zermatt dp 7.52 - Glacier Express - Samedan 15.45/16.13 - Scuol-Tarasp 17.23/17.30 - Landeck 18.57/19.27 - Salzburg ar 22.06
resp Lucerne dp 8.18 - Andermatt - Glacier Express - Samedan 15.45/16.13 - Scuol-Tarasp 17.23/17.30 - Landeck 18.57/19.27 - Salzburg ar 22.06

This itinerary would make a lot of sense if you stop over somehwere around Andermatt and in the Engadin Valley (Segl Maria, Pontresina or Scuol-Tarasp)
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 09:47 AM

It's a great list from which to pick, but - like a Smörgåsbord - if you try to do it all, it will be too much.

I guess you know this - I see that you say "like" before listing the four options out of Luzern - pick two and move on.

If you need alternatives while in Interlaken (know that Interlaken is a good springboard for trips in the regio,n but not itself the most charming of towns, just well located and practical), either because the weather is inclement in the morning and by the time it gets better it's too late to go for some of the targets on your list, here are a few very worthwhile ones - check them out and put them on your list of "alternatives":

www.niederhorn.ch/en/

www.niesen.ch/en

www.brienz-rothorn-bahn.ch/en/welcome.html

Ditto while in the Montreux area (called the Swiss Riviera) if you get to spend time there (highly recommended - look for lodgings in Montreux, Clarens, Vevey, Glion, Caux - all good!):

www.mob.ch/en/goldenpass/offer/view?id=12

www.chillon.ch/en/index.cfm

www.cgn.ch/en (the public boats on Lac Léman, the "lake Geneva" in English)

www.lausanne-tourisme.ch/en/

I'd skip Geneva, even Lausanne, on this trip.

For a rainy day you can't beat a quick train to the city of Bern, seat of the federal parliament (right in the middle of the fully-functioning old historic center), with shopping streets hundreds of years old and flanked by arcades that keep you dry. Read up on it, you'll like it: www.bern.com/en

Enjoy!
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 10:24 AM

You can also take the Golden Pass special scenic train Lucerne to Interlaken-Ost (change there for Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen and beyond)-it is the most beautiful part of the whole Golden Pass trip IMO - train has to use cogs to climb and descend steep passes- the only such mainline train line in Switzerland to do so I guess.

No reservations required -100% valid with Swiss Pass. Panoramic observation cars too.
Old Dec 14th, 2016, 12:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all of you for your inputs
A broad itinerary has taken shape.
22 May...Reached Zurich, see Rhine Falls and o/n in Zurich
23 May....Day trip on Bernina express till Lugano and return to Zurich...o/n Zurich.
24 May...Leave for Interlaken Stay from 24 to 27 May.
28 May leave for Lucerne. 28 to 30 in Lucerne.
31 May leave for Salzburg.

Any suggestions to this are welcome.
Thanks
Old Dec 14th, 2016, 04:42 AM

Looks good, but I would stay in Lauterbrunnen instead of Interlaken. Lauterbrunnen is about 20 minutes south of Interlaken by rail but it is in an alpine valley, basically between the Schilthorn and Jungfrau peaks. It will be much more convenient to explore the mountain areas from Lauterbrunnen.
Old Dec 14th, 2016, 05:14 AM

Hi advait,

I really, truly don't like your plan for 23 May. That will likely entail **at least** 9 hours on a train:

Zurich to Chur, 1h15
Chur to St Moritz, 2h
St Moritz to Lugano, 4h
Lugano back to Zurich the fast way, 2h

With so little time in Switzerland, I certainly would not waste an entire day sitting passively on a train watching the scenery through a window.

The beauty of Switzerland is best experience (imo) first-hand and without barriers: with the wind in your hair and the sun on your face and the views all around you. I would much prefer to spend time outside in the countryside rather than sitting inside a train. Don't get me wrong -- I love trains. But I love them as transportation, not as a destination.

Listen, your train to Salzburg may well go through the Tyrolian Alps. I've done that route, and I've thought it is every bit as scenic as the marketed "scenic" routes in Switzerland. You can satisfy your desire for a scenic train during that ride.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Dec 14th, 2016, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
Can I do Zurich to Lugano on Bernina express and return to Zurich in a day.
Thanks
Old Dec 14th, 2016, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks swandav2000 for your input
Old Dec 14th, 2016, 08:57 AM

Can I do Zurich to Lugano on Bernina express and return to Zurich in a day.
Thanks>

Well you will only be on trains the whole day - a shorter day trip would be to go via Chur and hop the Bernina Express either there or in St Moritz and go up half-way to the summit stations of Bernina-Ospiz or Alp Grum and back to St Moritz - the rest of the train is nice but not awesomely scenic.

Still a long day trip on trains -not sure via Lugano if even possible in the same day unless you rendezvous at Tirano with the Bernina Express bus.
Old Dec 14th, 2016, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks PalenQ and swandav2000.
Bernina express is out from the plans
We are having 5 days in Interlaken.
Some Excursions shortlisted are:
Jungfraujoch , Lauterbrunnen, Wengen .......1 day
The lakes.....1 day
Bern..........1 day
Zermatt...Matterhorn..1 day

Is the Swiss Travel Pass valid on Lauterbrunnen Interlaken journey?

Any suggestions
Thanks
Old Dec 14th, 2016, 07:03 PM

In Bern there are two ways to come out of the main train station (which is called HB for Hauptbahnhof) onto city streets. One way is by coming up some stairs, at the end of a long underground concourse, onto an open space where you have a church on your left and, straight ahead, a large glass roof covering an area where multiple trams pull up.

The other way it to have ascended from the platforms onto an overhead walkway crossing all tracks and exiting by stepping down onto a street (Schanzenstrasse) that is at a slant, you're exiting a modern building called Welle 7, and as you walk downhill you reach the end of the square called Bubenbergplatz - look left at the intersection and you see that glass roof and the church in the distance.

Which way you end up exiting simply depends on how long your train was and whether you had been traveling nearer one end or the other.

BTW - if you come out at Welle 7 and you walk uphill, you get to the area in front of the University, the area is called Grosse Schanze, and there is a nice restaurant with lovely views called Grosse Schanze (www.grosseschanze.ch) - a nice start to a visit to Bern.

In the station itself I can recommend the Tidbits restaurant, buffet-style vegetarian, with a large selection, very refined, right by the entrance to the station by the church, before you go down to the underground concourse that leads to the trains.

For good take-away food that will sustain you on a train trip I recommend the Migros down below, look left as you come off the stairs.
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 01:21 AM

As I told you above, the most scenic route to Salzburg starts in Engadin Valley (Bernina Express line).

Therefore I suggest:
May 23rd: Zurich - Interlaken (1 hr 50 min by train)
May 26th: Interlaken - Bruenig Pass - Lucerne (1 hr 50 min by train)
May 28th: Lucerne - Lugano (2 hrs by train)
May 29th: Lugano dp 10.00 by bus along lake Lugano and Lake Como to Tirano and by Bernina railway to Pontresina ar 15.50
May 31st: Pontresina dp 8.02 by train through the scenic Engadin Valley to Scuol 9.23/9.30 - bus through Lower Engadin and Oberinn Valley to Landeck 10.57/11.27 - train (with dining car) to Salzburg ar 14.03
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 07:14 AM

Is the Swiss Travel Pass valid on Lauterbrunnen Interlaken journey?>

Yes 100% and to Wengen too and Grindelwald and Murren- above Wengen to Jungfraujoch 25% off - still a good chunk of cash.
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 09:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks neckervd.
We have unfortunately dropped our idea of Lugano and Bernina express.
We shall be staying 6 days in Interlaken, followed by 3 days in Lucerne.
So on 22 May...Arrive at Zurich airport at 7.00am.Visit Rhine Falls and then go to Interlaken. Rest .
23 May...Jungfraujoch, Wengen, Lauterbrunnen
24 May...Lakes and Grindelwald
25 May...Zermatt and Matterhorn
26 May...Lausanne via Montreux
27 May...Bern
28 May..To Lucerne by Golden Pass Line
29 May...Titlis
30 May...undecided
31 May..Lucerne to Salzburg

Any suggestions.
Thanks
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks PalenQ
So my Swiss Travel Pass will be valid till Lauterbrunnen,Wengen
For Grindelwald, Murren and Jungfraujoch,I will get 25% off with Swiss Travel Pass

Also should I purchase the mountain railway tickets beforehand or on day of travel

Thanks
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks MichGuy
Driving is not an option as I am not comfortable with left hand drive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -