Suggestions on suitcase size/brand

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2015, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm headed to the London Nov 22 for a week, before my cousin gets married in Birmingham, on the 29th. Afterwards, I'm headed to Ireland for 3 days. I know it will be chilly & probably damp (I'm from Chicago, so anything over 20F is just chilly). I plan on wearing my down coat and boots on the plane. The last time I went to the UK, I took a 29" suitcase, carryon AND backpack! I chucked the 29incher, but need a new suitcase, as my current one (25") is on it's last legs and would definately meet an untimely death at some point on this trip. Should I stick with a 25" or go up to 29"? A 26" would be idea. Thanks!
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 01:59 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a 24" IT (brand) that is perfect. Very lightweight (about 4 lbs empty) but sturdy.

I've never seen a 26" suitcase.
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 02:46 PM

Of course 26 inch suitcases exist, even a cursory search of the internet would prove that.

I don't like large bags, they just wind up filled with stuff I don't need and weighing a ton. In fact for less than two weeks I'd probably get buy with carry-on luggage.

Have you checked if your airline has a weight limit? While dimensions aren't usually a problem for checked luggage, you may be surprised by the 50 lb/ 23 kg limit.
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 03:08 PM

I said I had not seen one, not that they do not exist.
Old Sep 28th, 2015, 06:52 PM

We stopped using our biggest suitcases when we fly because they weigh over 50# when full. They're also a pain in the neck if we're moving from place to place. Now we only use them when we drive to Colorado for a multi week ski trip.
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 04:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two words - laundry and train.

If you take clothes you can hand wash and drip dry you will not need to haul an enormous case around. If you are taking a train a big case will be a major pain for you and your fellow passengers. Just saw some idiots with massive cases on regional trains....

I am traveling for three months with a 22 inch roll aboard and a day pack. Pack light, you'll be happier.
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 11:53 AM

I would stick with a 25" at the largest and absolutely would NOT get a 29". As mentioned above, the huge suitcases are too easy to overpack. There's simply no need for something that size if it has to stay half empty to be liftable.
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 12:38 PM

Along with size, I'd also focus on weight. Some suitcases are ridiculously heavy even empty.

I'd simply purchase another 24-25" rolling suitcase that seems sturdy, good wheels, lightweight.
Old Oct 4th, 2015, 11:09 AM

For 10 days in November, a 22" carryon plus large tote, should suffice. You know it's not going to be warm. You'll wear your coat and boots, pack another two pairs, 4 slacks/jeans, 3 merino wools, 4-6 baselayers (from Pategonia right down to Uniqlo) 3 scarves, hat, underwear, pj's and chargers. We did Switzerland for 11 days two Septembers ago in a carryon and packed a lot more than I've listed for you. Oh, plus something for the wedding. Perhaps a lighter shell for rain in case it's warmer but wet. My waterproof Marmot jacket folds into its own pocket. I like my Lucas luggage, also bought a 24-25" Olympia very lightwt but hardshell suitcase for last month's 4-wks in France. Wish I had stuck with my carryon. But I thought it'd be much warmer and thus filled up with lightwt layers I never wore along with a rolled up maxidress, and I had packed 5 prs shoes. It's all in the weight of what you bring. But overseas you're checking, so 22" vs. 24" doesn't matter. Of course, there are 26" suitcases. But yes, if they're filled they well exceed 50#.
Old Oct 20th, 2015, 10:04 AM

http://www.dakine.com/p/backpacks-an...roller-36l-15s

We like the Dakine brand. The fabric choices are unique (probably no one else will have the same bag on the carousel), attractive and very tough. Price is very reasonable.

The rolling bag in my link is my favorite. It zips apart in two equal compartments, each protected with a zippered mesh divider. It makes packing and unpacking very easy. And easy to find things.

The outside pockets are very helpful for shoes, sweaters, etc.

When the expander is unzipped, it is not carry on size, to be aware of that. Double-check what size is now considered 'carry on' for the airlines you use.
Old Nov 4th, 2015, 09:34 AM

Light and bright. You want to see it in a crowd. Doesn't matter how ugly. Distinguishable.