Search

Restaurant Recommendations in Tucson

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2015, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurant Recommendations in Tucson

Hi Everyone!
We are super excited for our upcoming trip and are very thankful for everyone's suggestions! Wanted to check in and see if anyone has some recommendations for restaurants in Tucson. For breakfast we will most likely eat at our hotel (Hilton El Con) as it is included and we typically get up early but looking for something for the following:

Dinner- WED maybe somewhere near our hotel will be coming from Sedona this day so it will be our 1st night in Tucson. Could also eat at hotel and relax.

Dinner- THUR on the way back into Tucson (returning from Tombstone)

Lunch - FRI someplace near and after we do the Senora Desert Museum. We may head to the Mission if we have not already on the trip after the museum so could do lunch somewhere near there or anywhere for that matter.

Dinner- FRI someplace not to far from hotel - we are doing a Sunset Hoseback Ride with Pusch Ridge Stables, I think this is in the Catalina State Park. We have to be there for a 5:30PM ride so maybe something after in this area?

Lunch SAT- we are heading to Sabino Canyon and would maybe just want to pick up a picnic from somewhere?

Dinner SAT - Last night in Tucson

My kids (13 yrs old) like everything and are NOT picky eaters. Great view, neat place, good food, regional is more important to get the taste of AZ. For lunch our budget is around $10.00 per person and $15.00 for dinner but can go cheaper or splurge when needed.

Thanks so much for suggestions!! Thank you all for the various other tips as well! We are so excited for our trip!
Old Mar 17th, 2015, 01:20 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
You are staying north of Tucson in Oro Valley so not as many choises. There is a branch of El Charro's ( local Mexican, well regarded) in a shopping center just a little of north of Ina on Oracle, south of your hotel. There is a wonderful Indian, Saffron Bistro, in same shopping center.
Your dinner budget is a little low at $15.00 per person.
For your picnic, Beyond Bread at Ina and Oracle, SE corner, makes excellent sandwiches.or continue south on Oracle to Orange Grove, thurn left and immediatly turn left into mall. Baggins Sandwiches is on your right after turning, another very good choice.
After the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum, you can eat in downtown Tucson. The original historic El Charro's, Cup Cafe at Hotel Congress, Bianco Pizza on Congress Street, rhe more upscale Downtail Cocktails. Most places, however, will be above your dinner budget.
If returning from the Mission San Zavier del Bac, go to El Convento, west of I-10 on Congress. There is Mercado San Agustin, more upscale, but several reasonable spots are also in this complex.
At Skyline and Campbell, you'll find lots of dining choices on all four corners- Tavolino's, Acacia, Nox, North Italian, Tacos y Tequila, Schlomo's....
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! We can adjust our budget and we are also good at splitting.
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 05:23 PM

I am just fling home from Tucson now. If you want a broader choice than sandwiches at Oracle and Ina there is a Whole Foods on that corner also. On Sabino canyon and Tanque verde there is Renees organic oven with very good pizza and outdoor seating.

Thursday night you could eat wonderful Mexican food at Seis in the Marcado St AugustinThere is also a farmers market there that evening, very festive, with music. Seis has food from different area of Mexico. Don't miss their watermelon Aqua fresca

I don't know when you would do this but we love sitting outside at the original Marisco's for Mexican seafood.
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 05:31 PM

Last night, since you will be heading back from Sabino Canyon, go to Pinnacle Peak in Trail Dust Town. Make sure you see the wild west show there, and everyone needs to wear a necktie to dinner there.

Coming back from Tombstone, maybe take Houghton Road up to Tucson McGraw's, nice view, food just OK.

I agree on the original El Charro downtown. Carne seca is their specialty and is all I ever order.

After the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, there is a great little Mexican Restaurant on Kinney Road, Los Nopales. A little hole in the wall, but great food. If you don't stop there, I would suggest Karichimaka, on Mission road on the way to San Xavier.
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 06:04 PM

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...uarotucson.cfm

Trip report from last year. Ate at several good places
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 11:20 AM

For a fairly smaller city, Tucson has some of the best restaurants IMHO. My DD went to U of A and she loves Beyond Bread (and there are several locations). But, of course, there are so many other great places as others have suggested.
Old Mar 26th, 2015, 08:09 PM

El Charro downtown is fantastic and the carne seca is a must. The local sub shop is Eegees and they are known for their frozen drinks which are referred to as eegees.
Old Mar 27th, 2015, 09:32 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Eegee's was founded by Rhode Islanders and their popular frozen drink is a copy of Rhode Is. Frozen Lemonade.
Old Mar 30th, 2015, 02:42 PM

After the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum (great choice, by the way!), if you head downtown as other posters suggest, I absolutely recommend HUB Restaurant. It's a cheese/dairy lovers dream, with the most delicious in-house ice cream flavors. Flavors like Oatmeal Cookie Dough (my favorite), Lemon Brown Butter, and Saffron Olive Oil Cake. It's absolutely divine and will be very refreshing after a day walking around outside at the Desert Museum.

For dinner Saturday, your last night in Tucson, I recommend heading to Blanco at La Encantada around sunset. You can sit on the patio and see the entire panorama of Tucson around you. It was sitting there that I decided to move to Tucson.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 03:21 PM

If you're around on Friday or Saturday night, casa Vicente is cool as they have live flamenco performers and great tapas and paella.