French sample or travel size items

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2015, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, silly question, but what is the french term for their sample size stuff? Should I look in grocery stores or pharmacy/drug stores? I assume they are all grouped together? I thought it might be a fun way to try some different products. Thanks-- lynda
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 01:09 PM

I"d just look in the toiletries section, it can't be that big (in a grocery store). They aren't going to be in different places, just like in the US. A lot of stuff in French stores is just the same as in the US, you know, same brands (Fructis, Aussie, John Frieda, LOreal of course, Pantene, etc.). I wouldn't bother with shampoo, it's not going to be that different from other brands in terms of ingredients, not the kind that comes in 1 oz bottles in the grocery store.

I know for perfume, they call them échantillons. That would be more fun to get, you can get some of those in the big dept stores in the perfume section (like Bon Marche, I've gotten some Annick Goutal there).
http://www.aufeminin.com/parfums/ech...s-s648461.html

I doubt if they use that word for 1 oz bottles of shampoo in grocery stores, though. I've heard them just called "version mini".
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 04:30 PM

l'Occitane do travel sizes and their products are of good quality.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 04:57 PM

Travel size products are "produits pour le voyage". You'll find them in department stores. They are often sold in travel size pouches, 3 or 4 products together. Samples (perfume, face cream, body lotion etc) are "échantillons". They are free, especially if you buy another product (or if you know the salesgirl
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I'm leaving for Paris later today so I may be shopping tomorrow!
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 07:41 AM

If you do buy anything, don't hesitate to ask for échantillons. Most pharmacies and places like Sephora have plenty of them on hand. And don't be shy about suggesting which product you'd like to try. If the salesgirl wants to give you creams but you'd really like to try a cleanser or mask, say so, but politely, of course. They may not have the particular thing you'd like to try in stock, but it never hurts to ask. (IME, the hardest échantillons to get are serums. You have to spend quite a bit to get your hands on free samples of those.)

Also, IME, the most generous-sized échantillons come from Darphin, Sisley, Kanebo and Skinceuticals. Those are all expensive lines and the cost of whatever products you buy from those brands will easily cover the samples!