Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Best island for family of 5 (kids-21,18,16) end of June/early July?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2014, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all you brilliant travelers!! We like nice places but I think Beaches at T& C is a little too much $....Was looking at PR but saw it could be very rainy at that time...
An all-inclusive would be great for ease of spending. but am open to any resorts.
The airfare from NY would be something i will consider too.
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

What about St. martin?? I was there years ago, pre-kids. We stayed on French side and it was lovely. Thoughts on lodging there?
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 06:49 AM

St. Martin is wonderful but another thought is Aruba. Have you considered it? The Divi and Tamarijn (part of the Divi All Inclusive but two adjacent resorts that share everything) could be an option. Aruba has great weather, it's easy to get around and if you want an all inclusive it's available. It's a very arid and flat island so the interior looks more like Arizona than the Caribbean but there are some fun things to do like exploring Arikok National Park, snorkeling trips, water sports etc. If you are looking for a different cultural experience, you are less likely to find that on Aruba. If you want a nice beach vacation, Aruba is perfect.

People will tell you you don't need all inclusive on Aruba since there are so many great restaurants and that is true, but sometimes having it is easier with kids. There are plenty of non all inclusives to look at on Aruba as well
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks genio67! We went ot Aruba for our honeymoon and I wasn thrilled. I wanted more tropical, BUT weather wise it probably is the best for that time of year..
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 04:48 PM

Well maybe you should consider St. Martin. In early July it's not really active hurricane season and even if it rains it will probably be brief. I have been there in August several times and the weather was great. My only thought is the French side might be a little quiet for your kids but if they like to just hang at the beach it could be fine and you can rent a car and travel around anyway. Orient Beach actually has a lot of action and you are close to the amazing restaurants in Grand Case. Also, you can take day trips to Anguilla and/or St. Barth's.
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 04:51 PM

I also have friends who traveled to PR last July with their kids and had a great time. They said the weather was wonderful.
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

grnio67- Thanks for the ideas, I will def check out Orient Beach. Hmm you are prob right about the French side, I am thinking like an adult... Oh good to know about PR
Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 01:30 PM

Have you thought about Riviera Maya area in Mexico
Has it all. Beaches, snorkeling , adventure parks, archaeological sites etc
Close to US.
Easy to drive around