Search

Lyon to Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lyon to Barcelona

Hi everyone!
We are two couples who are picking up a lease car in Lyon and working our way down to Barcelona. We have 6 days ( could be 7) and are planning something like
Le Puy en Velay ( probably a lunch stop?)
Tarn Gorge area ( Millau Bridge and Roquefort caves)
Carcasonne
Mirepoix / Foix
Andorra?
Then on to Barcelona for 3 nights perhaps leaving the car at Girona Airport and taking the shuttle into the city.
We are planning to come back around the Mediterranean Coast to Nice after Barcelona.
Any help and suggestions re this route are so much appreciated.
Cheers
Rosie
Old Nov 15th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Sorry to amend already but I forgot to say this trip will be will be in late May 2014.
Old Nov 15th, 2013, 11:23 AM

Andorra is mainly a tax-free haven. I would go up to La Tour de Carol and drive down towards Prades and Perpignan. There are several interesting things to see along that road: Mont-Louis with its Vauban fortification and <i>un des plus beau village de France</i> Villefranche-de-Conflent. If you are up to it, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin-du-Canigou can be visited.
Old Nov 15th, 2013, 11:18 PM
Original Poster

That sounds interesting thanks Michael.how is the road that way
that is one of the the concern we have about going over the Pyrenees
Old Nov 16th, 2013, 12:11 AM

The road from Latour de Carol to Mont-Louis is very good, winding from Mont Louis to Villefranche, and very good (2 lanes) from Prades to Perpignan. In late May it is very unlikely you'll encounter snow.
The only problem you may have is getting to Andorra. It depends on the road you'll be taking and on the weather. There might still be snow on the Puymorens Pass. Note that the Puymorens Tunnel will be closed from April 15 to November 14, 2014 for renovation.
You can also drive to Barcelona via Spain either directly or via Ripoll and Vic.
And finally, if you avoid the main shopping areas (Pas de la Casa and Andorra la Vela) Andorra is very pretty.
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help I guess we can check road conditions when we are there and make our choice.
Which way do you think is the most scenic and interesting?
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 04:27 AM

If you take the road through France (Latour de Carol/Perpignan), when in Perpignan you'll either take the highway to Barcelona (totally uninteresting) or the coast road,or another mountain road via Col d'Ares, both pretty but much longer. You say you want to drive the coast road when you bo back to Nice. Instead of driving twice along the same road, I'd drive through Spain. Either take the road via Berga, Cardona and Manresa or make a detour via Ripoll and Vic.
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 11:42 AM

If you do decide to take the coastal road in either direction, Colliure (in France) and Cadaques (Spain) are two little picturesque towns on the coast that may be worth a detour.

The Theatre-Museo Dali in Figueres is also very interesting if you like his art:
https://www.salvador-dali.org/museus.../en_index.html

Also check out the following itinerary for some ideas:
https://www.wanderant.com/trips/A0MZaLl16ik6HjxBFA1seQ
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 12:31 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=le+p...w=1280&bih=859

this shows images of the route of The Little Yellow Train, a famous toy-like train playing a valley in the Pyrenees that Pvoyaguese describes - of course roads go pretty much the same route - but if wishing a respite from driving hop Le Petit Train Jaune for a gorgeous if slow ride thru fine fine scenery.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you PalenQ
It looks lovely!
Pvoyageuse what are the roads like through the Pyrenees? Your suggestion sounds good and we could do the yelllow train from Bourg Madame to Villafranche and return. Then continue as you suggest to Barcelona.
Any help on road conditions and perhaps time needed to cover the routes would be wonderful.
By the way there are a number of Villefranches in France so which do I need when looking at train timetables?
Thanks all
Rosie
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 10:37 PM

The full name of the town is "Villefranche-de-Conflent". I don't see the point in taking the Little Yellow train down to Villefranche and back as you'll be losing a whole day and would miss Mont-Louis (Vauban fortress)
Roads : it depends on the season, the weather and traffic. You didn't mention your travel dates. Are you used to driving on mountain roads? Right now snow tires or chains are compulsory.
Bourg-Madame to Perpignan takes 2 hours. The road is very good but in some parts (between Mont-Louis and Villefranche) it can be difficult to overtake. Perpignan to Barcelona is a little over 2 hours if you take the highway and 4 if you decide to take the coast road all the way down.
The Spanish roads (Puigcerda down to Barcelona) are excellent.
See www.viamichelin.fr for an estimation of time (add 25% to allow for rest stops, traffic, etc...)
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 11:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Pvoyageuse we will be there. About May 22/23 this year and we will have a lease car so need a return trip if we do the yellow train . We are thinking of Mirepoix or foix and then somewhere in the Pyrenees on our way to Barcelona we aren't booking so we are flexible we have from 18 th May when we pick up our car to the 24th when we are booked in at an apartment in Barcelona for 3 nights. We will then head around the coast with 3 days to get to Cinque Terra....any suggestions?
You are very knowledgable about this area so thanks again
Rosie
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 11:53 PM

I agree with Michael to drop Andorra. We spent a week in the village of Eus near Prades in April 2008 and drove up to Villefranche de Confluent and Mont Louis and had no problems. This is a lovely area with several Plus Beaux villages de France and some wonderful abbeys and priories. Also great wines from the Corbieres!!

http://www.les-plus-beaux-villages-de-france

Unfortunately, the day we wanted to use the Yellow train, it was not operating. So we drove instead. The scenery is spectacular.

We also drove down the coastal road into Spain with magnificent views.

After Carcassonne you could go via Limoux [ try some Blanquette de Limoux ], and continue on for a visit to a Cathar castle. We visited Peyrepertuse and Queribus in 2012 and they are quite amazing. Then on to Collioure and into Spain.

Happy travels.
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 12:10 AM

"we will have a lease car so need a return trip if we do the yellow train ".
There is a misunderstanding ! Have a look at the map of the area: you want to take a train at Bourg-Madame and journey down the valley to Villefranche-de-Conflent. What do you do when you get there and are carless except to take the train back to Bourg-Madame to pick it up? Unless of course one of you does not take the train and drives down to meet you at Villefranche?
If you want to go to Mirepoix and Foix, go from Carcassonne, then drive to Ax-les-Thermes.
Rosie : I live in the area
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

I was under the impression that the yellow train trip was a return trip so that would not work for us.
Would you suggest a good base for a few days in the foix area as it looks like we could do several interesting day trips in the area.
Ah living there explains your knowledge I have been on the Australian page to offer help , it's so good to have local knowledge
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 03:59 AM

I'd pick up a base between Foix and Quillan if I wanted to visit the Cathar Castles (and the Niaux Cave) and near Ax-les-Thermes for hikes and mountain views.
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 05:16 AM

More info on the area :
http://www.ariege.com/what-to-visit-...ege/index.html
http://www.audetourisme.com/en/
http://www.tourisme-pyreneesorientales.com/en
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much your help is wonderful!
Merci
Rosie