Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

RV trip from Raleigh NC to Grand Canyon, Zion, Arches.. and?

Search

RV trip from Raleigh NC to Grand Canyon, Zion, Arches.. and?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2013, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ckeveryn,

You've gotten good advice about omitting Yellowstone this time, especially since you mention the possibility of doing that next year. You could easily spend your entire time in YS and the Grand Tetons and wish you had more.

When we began RVing 4 years ago I was guided to 3 RV specific websites that have been of immense help. Each of them has various forums, some have trip reports, etc. I highly recommend you check them out. www.irv2.com www.rv.net and www.rvforums.net Very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful people with tons of RVing experience.

As for whether or not you can leave the dog in the RV - as long as you have electric for A/C, of course - in National, State or other non-commercial parks, this is our experience: Unless it's specifically listed on the campground page, as opposed to the general Park info pages, that pets CANNOT be left unattended - inside - the RV, then they CAN BE left.

They cannot be left unattended outside at anytime, whether you are there or not, and I seriously doubt that was what you had in mind. And as Utahtea said, barking dogs are also not welcome. We have stayed in several State, National, Provincial and County Parks and Forests with our 4 cats and never been told we couldn't leave them in the RV when we go out for the day. My sister and her husband have had similar experiences with their 2 dogs as have friends when in their RVs.

When you see on the general information pages for Parks/Forests that pets cannot be left unattended in vehicles, they aren't talking about RVs IN campgrounds but vehicles being used to tour the Park. It's the same idea as not leaving your pet in a vehicle while you go shopping as far as the heat is concerned. In some Parks/Forests you can throw in the added danger from bears or other predators who might consider that pet a nice snack and have no problem breaking into a parked car.

That said, I have seen people touring Parks in their RVs, either in transit or sans towed vehicle, leave the RV running with the A/C on and pets inside while they sightsee. But they stayed close by, only going to overlooks and such. I never saw anyone lock their running RV and head off on a hike, even a short one.

Before my husband retired from teaching college, we were limited to the same months as you for travel. We always tried to go as early as we could - even leaving the afternoon of his last day - rather than waiting. We found fewer people in even mid-June than we did at the end of the month, so I vote for you going in June as early as you can.

Enjoy some of our favorite destinations. And safe travels.
Old Dec 15th, 2013, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RE Utahtea

Thunder Mountain is strenuous as is Lava(Tororweap), but many others are very simple. Powell point is a good example where there are Indian pit house ruins. Four days is just about right because there are other hikes slightly beyond the forest service border. Snake Canyon, for example. Also, where Powell's survey point where he survey that area in the late 1800s.
Best is lack of people and solitude.

Vaga