Search

RIP Dogster

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2012, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marija, you are right! Little did they know...
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 11:17 AM

Recluse??? He was traveling all over the world!
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 12:05 PM

But in his 'real world' he had very few true friends (just my impression from meeting him and conversing with him several times). He had loads of 'friends' here!
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 02:00 PM

Having met him I got a different idea. I mean he was so open, funny, candid and just so cool and I was a virtual stranger. We carried on like old friends. We all agree we miss him. BTW my wife renamed him "hotdog". It seems to fit doesn't it.
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 04:44 PM

Maybe my impression is unusual in that I was the very first fodorite to actually meet dogster (and DS then figured out his identity). He gave no clues as to who he was on that first meeting. It was after his identity had been revealed that he maybe opened up more, realizing that the fodors community was very non-threatening. Just my thoughts...
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 10:18 PM

Wasn't Lori (offwego) the first to meet with dogster?
http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...l-dogsters.cfm
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 01:47 AM

I think you are right Marija as I recall Dogster saying something along that line. I believe Carol is the first one who "exposed" dogster as Nigel Triffit something which he both despised as well as like!
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 03:11 AM

I, too, wouldn't have classified Dogster as a "recluse" by any means. But I seem to remember a few years back, Dogster had been in hospital, then discharged to his home, and had openly stated here that people IRL who he'd thought were friends had not been so wonderful to him during his lengthy recuperation at home, and unable to walk much. His intention was to "hit the road" again as soon as he was able, and he did do just that. So perhaps because some of his "former friends" didn't see him much or hear from him, they assumed he was being reclusive, when in fact, he was merely directing his energies into his travels and blogging.

BC
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 05:26 AM

When DS 'discovered' the real dogster, his identity was not divulged on fodors or anywhere else in public view. It was passed along via email to about 5-6 fodorites who I knew very well. Where it went from there is anyone's guess.... I'm sure it did not stop at that point. Pretty hard to keep (shhh) secrets around here.
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 05:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember dogster writing with less than enthusiasm about Melbourne and its inhabitants well before his surgery. Of course, he may have been a bigger extrovert on the road than at home, I certainly am, but from his bio he seems to have been anything but a recluse all along.
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 02:54 PM

Oh, my. Just checked into Fodor's after a few weeks on the road for work and found this. (Thank you, crosscheck for the notice and your years of thoughtful comments -- and you too, Marija and others.)

Dogster's posts never failed to put a smile on my face and a song in my heart. Made so many moments in various business travel hotel rooms and airline lounges all the more enjoyable. Not too many weeks back, I was in his home port of Melbourne for meetings and during one such encounter, noticed we were all wearing rather dark-coloured business suits. Brought back memories and a warm glow surrounding one of D's inimitable posts, describing his feelings of observing more than a few of his Melbourne neighbours walking around in all black attire. What a special gentleman.

Never had the privilege of meeting the man. Knew rather early on his 'real' identity and it didn't matter. For me, a Dogster opening post was the written equivalent of a Keith Richards opening lick at a Stones show. Sometimes spot on, sometimes not; didn't matter, always one to savour.

Nigel once intimated that he would soon commence flying 'up front' with Singapore Airlines for his future forays in and out of MEL. (And, oh yes, that also warmed my heart.) I'll be flying SQ1 back home to Singapore this evening, and will most surely raise a boarding glass of Champagne in his honour.

A good man. RIP, Nigel,

robert
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 03:33 PM

Crosscheck, I've been thinking about this for a while and decided to post it. I think you are the last person dogster was working with on planning a trip. I think the sign appearing to you was dogster's way to send you off, since he wouldn't be here to post additional wisdom before you go. Bob Dylan sang your bon voyage from dogster.
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 06:39 PM

I agree, Robert, that dogster's real identity didn't matter one bit. His writing drew us in and kept us wanting more. I am happy to have been one of the fortunate ones who met him face to face.
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 09:03 PM

Just saw this post.

Dogster???

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 10:49 PM

Just got home to find the bloody Dog is dead!

I loved that disreputable old hound and shall miss him greatly. There will be no more sitting by the camp fire singing quietly while I wait for the next story. Think I'll just go howl at the moon for a bit.
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 05:28 AM

A brilliant writer and story teller.Such a terrible shame he passed on so young.Condolences to family and friends.
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Wow, Kathie. That gave me the chills.

I had felt honored that our resident iconoclast/bad boy anthropologist had taken an interest in my not so edgy trip. And I was disappointed when I posted my finalized itinerary and he didn't weigh in, after he had been so involved in the initial planning (especially on a thread that ended up deleted in its entirety.)

Sadly, we are not going to Ahilya Fort, where he had actually picked out a room for us. But I do expect to feel his presence on our trip, reminding me why I travel.
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 07:44 AM

I think we will all 'feel his presence' when we travel S E Asia... at least for a while!
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 02:53 PM

Oh no, another one gone. One of the most entertaining posters here.
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 06:38 PM

Haven't been by in a while and was shocked and saddened to hear of Dogster's passing. I remember way back at the beginning when he began to post and no one knew who he was. I asked Gpanda if he thought Dogster was just a great writer who was pulling our collective legs or whether he believed he really did all the outrageous things he claimed Gpanda smiled and replied "it doesn't matter, he's jus wonderful either way".

RIP our friend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -