Visit to Zermatt

Search

Visit to Zermatt

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visit to Zermatt

My friend and I will be staying in Interlaken for 1 week and would like to go to Zermatt to view the Matterhorn, I know the train trip will be about 3 hrs but from information we have read cannot work out if once in Zermatt we have to take the Glacier Express, which we would be happy to do but can it all take place in one day - cannot stay overnight.. Any suggestions? We really like to be independent and walking no problem.
Thanks Jen PS Not going until June.
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 11:25 PM

Hi levlex,

I doubt that any of the trains you'll be one will be one of the Glacier Express.

Just get the schedule from the Swiss rail site at

www.rail.ch

and it will tell you if the trains are regional or one of the panoramic scenic ones.

I wonder why you thought you "had" to take the GE?

s
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 11:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can take portions of the Glacier Express such as between Zermatt and Visp or Zermatt and Brig but there are certainly other trains doing these same segments all day long.
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 12:59 AM

Make sure that you get one of the trains over the express route from Spiez to Visp not the regional train that uses the Lotchberg Tunnel and goes through Kandersteg. As Dukey said you get the Glacier Express from Visp to Zermatt and return, but to be honest it's not that much different to the ordinary trains, it goes over the same tracks so the view will be the same.
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 01:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As above, the major difference between the Glacier Express and the more regular trains is in the rolling stock. Specifically, the panorama coaches in First Class which have MUCH larger windows. However, the route from Zermatt to Visp which does have its dramatic views can easily be enjoyed from any car IMO.
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 07:28 AM

Hi All,

recently i bought a train ticket from SBB. My journey start from Brig to Zermatt. I also printed out the e-ticket, but from the ticket, it didnt show the departure time and arrival time.

May i ask is the ticket i purchased can be used for any time on the day i travel? The reason i think that is because there are so many train from Brig to Zermatt for each day ( 15 min per train)

Can anyone help me ??

Thanks in advance

Maxz
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 09:28 AM

Maxz quick answer to your question "Yes"
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 05:05 PM

Thanks Tipsygus,

Now i am clear how SBB works.
I also bought a SBB ticket from Zermatt to Geneva airport, so i assume most of the SBB standard ticket also doesn't fix the time on the ticket, we just jump into the train we want and the conductor only check the ticket but not the time stated in the ticket?

Maxz